24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have bowhunted for the last 18 yrs. Well, my shoulder is starting to get to the point where i just cant draw and the doc is starting to talk about presribing me teh ability to shoot a crossbow.

Never been a crossbow fan so never have educated myself on them. Well, if i cant hunt with a vertical bow and still to "young" to hang up the boots... and i know i still need teh adreneiline rush of bowhunting...well, this may end up being my alternative.
So... this may be a foolish question, kinda like asking if a remington or winchester is better, or mathews or hoyt.... but what i would like to know is what are teh better crossbow (maker and model) out there. I looked at some Ten Points, Horton and Excalibers today but quickly realized i was clueless. All these yrs of rifle, bow and muzzleloading hunting i can talk day about.... but clueless in this realm. Any educated or experinced info is appreciated.

Thx!

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an Excaliber, plenty accurate, reliable, and sounds like a 22short. You can forget a 40 plus yd shot on a whitetail with one, IMO

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ten Point makes a top level bow, they feel good, are very accurate and come loaded with features. On my second one and just can't say anything bad about them except they are expensive! My pal has an Excalibur, it's a very well made unit. I don't like the width with the recurve limbs but they are hell for stout and very accurate. Bowtech has several models and they are well made and very fast, I had one for a couple of seasons and traded it for the current Ten Point but kinda wish now I'd have kept it! If you want a reverse limb style look at a Scorpyd. I'd personally steer clear of Barnett as the few I've seen just don't measure up to those mentioned.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys.... thx. I appreciate the real world experinces and advice. Thats what i looking for. I will have some time to figure it all out as the season here is wanning down but i would like to get one and get to know it this spring/summer so i would be ready next fall if this shoulder is not gonna heal.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I recommend against the low end Barretts, had one and couldn't keep it from eating strings and cables.

Hoyt's with the reverse limb tech are quiet, and seem to have the bugs worked out this year.

Stryker 350/380 are quiet reliable and fast shooting. They had a recall issue last year, and have fixed the problem from what I've seen. The trigger is excellent.

Couple of selection thoughts:

Auto safety on the draw? Locks the trigger on safe when you cock it.

Hand crank or not? May not need one now, but useful to add later.

Going to use a monopod support or not? Crossbows are very front heavy as a rule, you may need a support or a shooting rail.

Recurve or compound limbs? Recurve-simple easy to use and replace strings, but Texas longhorn wide in the stand/blind.

Compound limbs are usually small with matching or better power/speed but harder to maintain at home. Very few have the ability to have a string or cable changed without a bow press.

Crossbow bolts are 20 or 22 inches, have to decide which one is better for you.

I made a brief detour into the crossbow world, but got back out of it because if poor equipment choices by me. I'll be back, but when I have a better defined requirement for one.

Good Luck!

IC B2

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I purchased a low end parker bushwacker for my son to use as a mentored youth. He shot a buck i shot a doe with it..(testing lol). For 300 bucks you get what you pay for. But it dropped my doe in her tracks with a shoulder shot and his 5pt went about 80 yards. At 20 and 30 i am extremely confident. 40 id be very hesitant.

My best advice is to shoot a few just like you would when selecting a new vertical bow. Look for the above mentiond features like the crank and safety. It has been my experience that if cables and the rail are properly lubed string life is not an issue. If i had to purchase on for myself id look for a reverse limb model or and Excalibur.

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David at Wyverns Creations will be happy to take your call and he will spend time discussing what best suits YOU.

Dude is a hero over at ArcheryTalk.com and for good reason. He takes care of his customers even when they don't deserve it.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/

I went with Scorpyd. Can't shoot the same 1" dot at fifty yards without damaging arrows.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1 for Wyvern, bought two bows from david and he is first rate all the way. That Scorpyd is my next bow for sure, just can't decide which model!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been shooting an Excal Ibex for 4 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting this question! I have been thinking about trying a crossbow for awhile now.
What type Crossbow does the guy on the T.V.show The Walking Dead use?
On that show the crossbow gets featured a lot.
AMRA

Molan Labe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excalibur introduced 3 new Hi-speed bows this week. They look awesome. If I was in the market, this is the way I would go.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

B
B
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details...730383c85/crossbow-from-the-walking-dead

Read the comments. Apparently that bow on the tv show is a piece of junk.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
continued thx for info fellas. Sounds like i need to talk to David before/when i get to the final stage of purschase. Thx for all the things to consider. Stragne new sagment of the hunting world to me.... but i look fwd to it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've been thinking about one also but there is no way in hell I'd pay $1200+ for something that slings arrows/bolts.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott, try the StrykeZone 350 or 380. Very nice trigger for a crossbow!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought an Excalibur about a month ago -- actually my wife bought it as an anniversary present. I've been bow hunting for 25+ years and had never even shot a crossbow. I love it! Wish I'd bought one sooner.

Mine is the Axiom -- not a high end xbow, but very pleased for the money. The only knock I have is the width of the bow, I've gotten used to it.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
man...lots to consider...and as with all weaspons, a huge price range. i guess i am enjoying the education process as part of it all..
.glad i have til next fall until to figure it all out, buy, practice and be ready for season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My best friend just bought a scorpyd ventilator. He did a lot of research and he said it is top of the line. Check it out.
http://www.scorpyd.com/

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
excaliber xbows are way to wide and they are loud as hell. if you plan on using a rope cocker then take a look at tenpoints accudraw. the rope retracts into the stock making faster to recock for a second shot if needed. i hated the first crossbow i had because i had to a regular rope cocker and it was always tangled up in my pocket when i needed it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a TenPoint Stealth XLT, which I chose for the following reasons:

-limb width was as narrow as I could find
-acudraw crank cocking mechanism
-way better balance when shouldered than others I handled (not front-heavy)
-anti-dry fire device built into trigger mechanism
-lower draw weight and fps than others, but I'd been scared off by high speed horror stories
-friend works at archery shop, and he said majority of guys leave with a TenPoint (they dropped Parker FWIW). I also got a good deal.

That said, I'm getting a new Scorpyd Velocity 165 this spring. I'll keep the TP as a super nice backup weapon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
359 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 39 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.