Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#7222138 - 12/24/12 07:31 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
Bighorn Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern Kolorado
JJ,

10 years ago, I decided to book a mule deer hunt, based upon a regular show on an outdoor channel featuring a Colorado outfitter and numerous 'celebrity' hunters, like Babe Winkleman, etc. etc.

A month before the hunt was to take place, the guy announced that he was out of business, and would not honor any of his bookings, nor refund any of the deposits he had taken. He screwed dozens of hunters out of many thousands of dollars, and was never held accountable. He's still in business, running a guide school.

I know that would never happen with you- but the experience soured me from EVER again booking a hunt based upon something I saw on TV.

I also find it disgusting when a guy shoots something on one of these shows, then spends 5 minutes thanking TC, Remington, Winchester, Muzzy, Mathews, the outfitter, Jesus, Cabelas, etc. etc. etc.

That said, I think these shows generally have entertainment value only. As far as bookings go, I am much more inclined to attend sport shows, research outfitters on the internet, read hunter reviews, or do repeat bookings with a reputable outfitter I have come to know and trust.

CI16728
#7222316 - 12/24/12 08:16 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Chipolopolo]
JGRaider Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Chipolopolo

Are their initials Jim Burnworth?

That's the other clown who passes off shooting drugged lions with a bow as real hunting.

#7222330 - 12/24/12 08:19 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Bighorn]
sharpsguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Save your money Hack. I have yet to call a show sponsor or make an inquiry. I won't even watch ANY of the North American shows, and have quit watching most of the African shows. I think your best bet for advertising would be to attend some of the larger hunting expos. Harrisburg, Pa. comes to mind.

#7222383 - 12/24/12 08:31 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: sharpsguy]
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
We have been there three years in a row now.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#7222493 - 12/24/12 08:59 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
MissouriEd Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Between somewhere and nowhere
Are you going to be at SCI Reno? If you are would love to talk to you.

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.

#7222521 - 12/24/12 09:04 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Bighorn]
rphguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Florence, Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Bighorn
JJ,

10 years ago, I decided to book a mule deer hunt, based upon a regular show on an outdoor channel featuring a Colorado outfitter and numerous 'celebrity' hunters, like Babe Winkleman, etc. etc.

A month before the hunt was to take place, the guy announced that he was out of business, and would not honor any of his bookings, nor refund any of the deposits he had taken. He screwed dozens of hunters out of many thousands of dollars, and was never held accountable. He's still in business, running a guide school.

I know that would never happen with you- but the experience soured me from EVER again booking a hunt based upon something I saw on TV.

I also find it disgusting when a guy shoots something on one of these shows, then spends 5 minutes thanking TC, Remington, Winchester, Muzzy, Mathews, the outfitter, Jesus, Cabelas, etc. etc. etc.

That said, I think these shows generally have entertainment value only. As far as bookings go, I am much more inclined to attend sport shows, research outfitters on the internet, read hunter reviews, or do repeat bookings with a reputable outfitter I have come to know and trust.

I don't mind them thanking Jesus, afterall Jesus hung around with commercial fisherman and was an amateur fisherman Himself. Even caught a fish with a coin in its mouth to pay His taxes.

#7222580 - 12/24/12 09:21 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: rphguy]
Bighorn Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern Kolorado
Well, right there's my mistake!
Been looking for places where money grows on trees, when I should have been fishing for fish with taxpayer money in their mouths.

Oh, wait- that's what the TV fishermen are already doing...... laugh

#7223120 - 12/24/12 11:55 AM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: In Line Waiting
It would influence me. Id never book with them and would wish to stay as far away from them as possible. I do not watch hunt shows and feel they cheapen the experience. IMO it is a private affair.
If an individual was prone to any certain buffoonery or other behavior that could be displayed as unflattering they would be wise to maintain final editorial control; otherwise such exposure could do more harm than good. Merry Christmas.

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

#7223245 - 12/24/12 12:25 PM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: RichardAustin]
CharlesL Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Texas
I just assume the outfitter is too expensive for me.

#7223328 - 12/24/12 12:59 PM Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: CharlesL]
rphguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Florence, Mississippi
I dunno, maybe if you could catch a black mamba with your bare hands that's be pretty cool. And do some of those "oops we almost got trampled by a cape buffalo" clips. Then top it off with a spear hunt for a drugged male lion.

I think the "you ain't seen addicted yet" guy is gonna have this stuff on next week, though, so you'd have to think up something to top it.

aja, I'm kidding around. I think it could be good if you laid some ground rules about how you are presented and that you have some control over the final edit or something, or at least a say.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
607 registered (1899sav, 00_Sean, 1beaver_shooter, 175rltw, 18sgd99, 58 invisible), 1305 Guests and 327 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50836 Members
72 Forums
642399 Topics
9225312 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 08 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.