NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7222493 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
MissouriEd Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Between somewhere and nowhere
Are you going to be at SCI Reno? If you are would love to talk to you.

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.

RV 728 BP
#7222521 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Bighorn]
rphguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Bighorn
JJ,

10 years ago, I decided to book a mule deer hunt, based upon a regular show on an outdoor channel featuring a Colorado outfitter and numerous 'celebrity' hunters, like Babe Winkleman, etc. etc.

A month before the hunt was to take place, the guy announced that he was out of business, and would not honor any of his bookings, nor refund any of the deposits he had taken. He screwed dozens of hunters out of many thousands of dollars, and was never held accountable. He's still in business, running a guide school.

I know that would never happen with you- but the experience soured me from EVER again booking a hunt based upon something I saw on TV.

I also find it disgusting when a guy shoots something on one of these shows, then spends 5 minutes thanking TC, Remington, Winchester, Muzzy, Mathews, the outfitter, Jesus, Cabelas, etc. etc. etc.

That said, I think these shows generally have entertainment value only. As far as bookings go, I am much more inclined to attend sport shows, research outfitters on the internet, read hunter reviews, or do repeat bookings with a reputable outfitter I have come to know and trust.

I don't mind them thanking Jesus, afterall Jesus hung around with commercial fisherman and was an amateur fisherman Himself. Even caught a fish with a coin in its mouth to pay His taxes.

#7222580 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: rphguy]
Bighorn Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern Kolorado
Well, right there's my mistake!
Been looking for places where money grows on trees, when I should have been fishing for fish with taxpayer money in their mouths.

Oh, wait- that's what the TV fishermen are already doing...... laugh

#7223120 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

It would influence me. Id never book with them and would wish to stay as far away from them as possible. I do not watch hunt shows and feel they cheapen the experience. IMO it is a private affair.
If an individual was prone to any certain buffoonery or other behavior that could be displayed as unflattering they would be wise to maintain final editorial control; otherwise such exposure could do more harm than good. Merry Christmas.

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

#7223245 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: RichardAustin]
CharlesL Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Texas
I just assume the outfitter is too expensive for me.

#7223328 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: CharlesL]
rphguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Mississippi
I dunno, maybe if you could catch a black mamba with your bare hands that's be pretty cool. And do some of those "oops we almost got trampled by a cape buffalo" clips. Then top it off with a spear hunt for a drugged male lion.

I think the "you ain't seen addicted yet" guy is gonna have this stuff on next week, though, so you'd have to think up something to top it.

aja, I'm kidding around. I think it could be good if you laid some ground rules about how you are presented and that you have some control over the final edit or something, or at least a say.

#7223678 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
GuyM Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Washington - dry side
JJ - what you've got here is a group of people who prefer the internet to get their information, rather than television shows.

I fall solidly into the internet/computer group, and have a general distrust of TV shows - hunting, fishing or otherwise.

With this forum, it's pretty easy for a guy to share a PM or two with an outfitter/guide he may be considering - then a follow up phone call or two is also easy. I dunno - to me this makes more sense than the television show, but I could be wrong. A marketing guru I'm not.

Best of luck in this year and future years! Guy

#7223692 - 12/24/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: GuyM]
VernAK Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Delta Junction, Alaska
If your should make a video, you have to promise that you won't sing in order to fill time slot........I'm down to watching Roger Raglin play piano.

#7224205 - 12/25/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
AussieGunWriter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: JJHACK
There is a show driving hard to the hoop for me to do this with them. They require a fair bit of support I'm not convinced is financially practical yet.

However, if the marketing is there I would probably do it. So if you watched a hunting show would it sway you towards booking with that outfit or have no bearing on the decision?

Guess I always figured my references were the best resource I have. But this might be another path to bookings?

Dedicated checkbook hunters are not swayed by any advertising. They go with recommendation from known aquaintences such as other hunting club members and preferably personal friends. Busy professional people don't watch these shows and serious amateurs tire of them very quickly.

Like the masses, I was intrigued in the late 80's/early 90's when these shows first appeared (usually in Video tape format) as there was simply nothing like them and they gave you exposure to animals of interest. Most of the hosts and hunters featured these days are laughable fools with nothing to offer the technically minded, nor anything whatsoever in hunting skills.

You will likely be used for a free hunt to make the hunter look a hero.

John

PS: I saw a show for a couple of minutes last night where the so called hunter shot a mule deer from the back of a truck in Sonora. I turned the TV off.

#7225366 - 12/25/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: CharlesL]
WiFowler Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: To Close to Milwaukee; To Far ...
Originally Posted By: CharlesL
I just assume the outfitter is too expensive for me.

Ditto. Aside from good, solid, 'been there, done that' references, and all other things being equal, my checkbook will significantly influence my decision on an African outfitter.

#7225578 - 12/25/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: rphguy]
Chipolopolo Offline

For me, If I were the guy, GIVING the hunt away, I would absolutely maintain final editorial control. Problem is once the "actor" begins editing, he has forgotten all about his promise and will edit biased results based on his shameless, self promotion.

I, like many previous posters have mentioned, won't or can't watch most TV hunting. Shockey is probably the only one I really like to watch.

As far as show go, I used to be on the BOD of the PHX chapter of SCI. We did the ISE show in Phoenix every year as a membership drive. During the good years there was fantastic attendance. However even during those times the 6-7 African outfitters there rarely booked hunters. I would agree the shows that garner results are DSC, SCI Reno and Harrisburg.

#7225787 - 12/25/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Chipolopolo]
ODay450 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Peoples' Republic of Maryland
Merry Christmas Jim,

IMHO you would get better mileage from revising & updating your book and use that as the introduction to hunters, especially new safari addicts. Word of mouth advertising and the book to cement your credentials will be the best advertising.

Edwin

#7226160 - 12/25/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Mike70560]
RAC Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Homer, Louisiana
Hmmmm. I would have to know more to comment. It wouldn't sway me but advertising is advertising. One thing is for sure. I would watch it.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

#7229237 - 12/26/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: JJHACK]
doubletap Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Atlanta
Part of marketing is name recognition. When I think about hunting in Africa, the first name that comes to mind is Rann Safaris. It is because of their exposure on hunting shows.

I don't know what percentage of hunters who go to Africa are first timers, but name recognition is probably more important to them.

Edited by doubletap (12/26/12)

- Albert Einstein

#7229281 - 12/26/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: doubletap]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
I've been associated with outfitters who had TV shows made of their operation, and it usually helped bookings. Of course, a lot depends on the quality of the TV show, the animals taken, and how much "free' stuff the outfitter had to throw in.

But as doubeltap points out, part of marketing is name recognition. If an ourfitter's name gets out in public enough, it affects bookings, usually positively.

Once a Texas newspaper columnist ripped a state politician upside-down and sideways in her column. The next time the polician saw her, he smiled widely, held out his arms, and said, "Honey, thanks for mentioning my name!"

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#7229366 - 12/26/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Mule Deer]
doubletap Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Atlanta
smile

I was taking a marketing class at the time Hugh Grant was caught getting a hummer from a prostitute in his car. My marketing professor said that it would hurt his career and she would never watch another of his movies.

The publicity of his arrest actually helped his career. My professor wasn't as smart as she thought she was.

- Albert Einstein

#7229595 - 12/26/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: doubletap]
SilentT Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
For me, it would really depend on the show. Any publicity is generally good but I would sure want to make sure I was associating with a positive person in the industry.
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com

#7229966 - 12/26/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Mike70560]
agazain Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Clute, Texas
Absolutely no effect. The only money made from me would be incidental to the advertising done. I simply view hunting shows with gratitude for the viewing.

2 cents

#7230617 - 12/27/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: agazain]
EdM Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Between Texas & Idaho
Nope.

#7232314 - 12/27/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: EdM]
IndyCA35 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc:
I think the best form of publicity might be to post on this site and AR. If I wanted to hunt in RSA for the first time, I would contact JJ Hack because of this site. I'm not sure what percentage of the target market reads posts but I read a lot about posters who either hunt with JJ or recommend him to others.

I don't watch any hunting shows. They don't show many of them here and the ones they do show seem to be combinations of killing tame whitetails and hillbilly music. Also with too many commercials for ticky tack stuff.

#7233696 - 12/27/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: IndyCA35]
257wby Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Minnesota
I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.

P.T. Barnum

Take it from old Phineas and go for it...just don't let it cost you too much.

Edited by 257wby (12/27/12)

#7238166 - 12/29/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: 257wby]
Buzzie Offline

Loc: California
When deciding on an African hunt 2 years ago, I got the inclination from watching a TV show. However I didn't look up the outfitter and started to search the internet. That's how I stumbled upon you and after all my research, talking to you on the phone and references I decided to sign up. And I can't wait until the end of May.

I have started to look at a hunt in 2014 for whitetail deer. Just the other night, I saw a good show, that peaked my interest. They didn't kill a monster deer but a very nice representative of the species. I did some internet research and couldn't find that much.

I called and talked to the outfitter. Found out he's a very small operation, runs only 12 guys a year on the rifle hunts, has been hunting the ranch (he has sole hunting rights for) for over 25 years. He didn't oversell the hunt and seemed very up front on what he has to offer.

Too good to be true?? Maybe but I'll be checking some references. He says a 140"-160" is what they aim for and can usually find it. So in this instance a TV show may just get this guy a hunt from me. Still too early to tell but it's an option that needs more research.

If it's a reputable show I don't see how it could hurt. More than likely folks will see your name and then do some research on the internet. There your great reviews will sell the hunt if they are serious.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you will be at SCI in Reno.

#7238179 - 12/29/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Buzzie]
Kentucky_Windage Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: San Antonio
No bearing. I do my own research.

#7238540 - 12/29/12 Re: How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide? [Re: Kentucky_Windage]
zimhunter Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Green Valley, Az
Rarely watch any hunting shows.When I hunted Africa there really were none particularly. And actually very few video tapes,in fact the first I ever saw was at a PH firends home in Zimbabwe. My first safari of the 8 I made was selected by reading ads in a borrowed Safari Club magazine. I picked 5 ads and wrote them and then called them and finally made my selection based on trophy mix and cost. Actually picked one of Tony da Costa's package hunts for Leopard in Zimbabwe. At $5000 for 14days for a Leopard,Kudu,Impala,Duiker,Klipspringer it seemed a good deal and truley was. It hooked me for 7 more longer and longer safaris to Zimbabwe in the ensuing years.Ended up hunting all of them with the same outfitter who became a close personal friend. I came to have less and less respect for Tony as the years passed. After the first 2 all my safaris were booked directly. Should I have to selsct one today i would quite probably do it the same way. I do occaisonally watch one of the dangerous game TV shows. Some I enjoy some I don't.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
559 registered (22250rem, 1234, 21, 16gauge, 1minute, 63 invisible), 1146 Guests and 379 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,266 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,404 Topics
9,929,506 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.