Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Its nothing but advertising $$ that is determined to be the outcome before the testing/research begins.
fixed it for you.

Last edited by ConradCA; 01/21/13.

[Linked Image from ]
GB2

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Both of you guys really need to read the article. They point out the strong and weak points, and say why they picked one over the other. The fact that you may choose to rate them differently, is always your call. For instance, the Dodge Power Wagon can carry far more in it's bed than can the Ford Raptor. If that's important to you, then which rates best to you is odvious.
Likewise, if you need a 3/4 ton truck, odviously the Jeep Rubicon is not going to work.
In other words, it's a good source for reference information.
In their latest contest for Pickup Truck of the Year, they rated the new Dodge 1500 4WD over the Toyota Tacoma Baja. While I can see why they did so, there is no way I'd buy the 1/2 Dodge over the Baja packaged Tacoma. And I'm a huge Dodge fan. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We must also keep in mind what we actually intend to do with the vehicles. Will it be a daily driver? Will we be racking up a lot of miles each year and thus have to run an all-terrain tire instead of a true offroad tire. Does it have to carry a lot of gear or people? Is it going to cost too much to actually use it like you may want to? Is your offroading in rocky areas or flat and muddy locations? Are you interested in fun or just trying to get there and back without breaking anything?

There are loads of questions that we have to ask ourselves when selecting a 4x4 to meet our own personal needs. I was considering how to best equip myself with a presentable-looking work truck that would also do double-duty around the camp, which involves mud as the main obstacle. I didn't want to run mud tires on my daily driver and have found fullsize trucks to be a bit cumbersome for real woods-work. I wound up just keeping my F150 4x4 with BFG AT's as my daily driver and then picked up an older, used Toyota with mud tires for camp/hunting duty. My father does the same. Your work truck stays presentable much more of the time, without mud and blood all over, and your reall off-road truck is much more capable. Yes, I pay insurance on two vehicles, but I love pulling up in my Ford after work and basically hopping straight into my muddy little Toyota without having to transfer a bunch of gear to go hunting. I grab my rifle and backback and go. And it really does go, relative to a full-size truck. Plus, you do have a spare vehicle if one has to go in the shop or your wife needs to use your pickup. Two of my least glamourous purchases over the last few years have been an old 4-Runner and a deer camp that adjoins my property, but I get more use and enjoyment out of those two items than nearly anything else I own. Just my two cents, for what it's worth. I'm not about to buy a $30k-$50k new ride and use/abuse it like I need to, then have to clean it up to meet a client the next day. No thanks....

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by John_G
How come the FJ Cruiser wasn't in the mix?

Because they wanted a Dodge to win.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For "fourwheeling" I term I have never liked, the list is fine. For working out in the bush or a long truck supported hunting trip, I will take an F-350 Ford diesel any day. Better ride, better mileage, and it will out last everything on the list by 2-3 times. A big truck has room.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ppine
I will take an F-350 Ford diesel any day. Better ride, better mileage, and it will out last everything on the list by 2-3 times.

I know this is the Internet and all, but really?!?!

Ready, Fire, Aim
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I ever hit the lottery I'm going to have these guys build me a hunting rig.
www.legacypowerwagon.com/Legacy-Power-Wagon-4-Door_p_13.html

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
This is #1 with me. My 2012 TRD Off Road. Didn't see any reason for the Baja. I added 265 85 16's and sliders on the side, Bilstien 5100's and a 3 leaf pack on the rear.

[Linked Image]

Those are fantastic little trucks. I bought one in 2006. It was great off road and very comfortable around town. Nice looking too!

I had to part with mine in 2009 because of a serious financial setback due to the recession. I've been making do with a hooptie 2003 Ford 4WD/AWD Explorer ever since. It's gravel road rated. :^)

My situation has greatly improved. About 3 weeks ago I went to the Jeep dealership and ordered a Wrangler Sport! I'm kind of excited about it. Never owned a Jeep before. The waiting is hard but it'll be just like I want it.

Here's a pic of my Tacoma the day I finished installing the lift with the tire and wheel package.
[Linked Image]
It was never that clean again.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 01/25/13.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice tacoma. What are the specs on the tires & wheels?

Ready, Fire, Aim
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
Nice tacoma. What are the specs on the tires & wheels?

The tires were Mickey Thompson 285/70R16 MTZ's. The wheels were Mickey Thompson too but I can't remember the name. Some sort of bling mock bead lock. They didn't do anything but didn't hurt anything either. The truck had a 3" lift.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
[quote=ppine]I will take an F-350 Ford diesel any day. Better ride, better mileage, and it will out last everything on the list by 2-3 times.

Glad it works for you, it doesn't for me. Good thing the company is paying for the fuel & repairs on the 7.3 Powerstroke I'm driving. It has gone 70K without any major repairs, the first 80, not so well.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend has the crewcab F-250 diesel 4X4. It may last forever but it doesn't do well at all in the mud. It's just too heavy. Nice truck though.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those big Ford diesels don't seem to fare well in the snow either. Or any big diesel it seems. mtmuley

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bet the honda ridgeline didn't get invited...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
I bet the honda ridgeline didn't get invited...

Is it a good truck? I sat in one at a carshow once and really liked what I saw.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I really like mine-been through some rough stuff in the past and never been stuck. do a youtube search and you will be suprised at what this "soccer mom" truck is capable of.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hwg,
Diesel engines typically go 400,000 miles. Some go a million miles.

George Santayana
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ppine
hwg,
Diesel engines typically go 400,000 miles. Some go a million miles.

I was just Bustin' on you a little bit. I understand the longevity of the basic Diesel engine, but from what I have seen from the power strokes, you'll need to replace a lot of ancillary parts to keep them going. Injector pumps, injectors, flywheels, and turbos immediately come to mind. The truth is, as long as you want to keep replacing parts, they will all stay going forever.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is what a lot of people around here do for recreation.

George Santayana
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I see a lot of nice brand new 'off road' vehicles around town, but I see damn few in the woods.
Last year, a friend showed up with his new mega expensive Raptor, but was afraid to take it trail riding. Terrified of getting a scratch.
I'll just stick with my 25 year old 4 cylinder Toyota 4Runner. Goes anywhere I want to go, long ago paid for, and I am NOT afraid to get it scratched or dirty. laugh

Sam......

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.