-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,070 of 1,842 1 2 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember way back when ( early 80's)I was lumberjacking ,we would have to start a fire,boil water in a metal tub to warm the bar oil,otherwise it was like molasses.
They would unplug the special fittings on the pickup heater core hose,connect with the same fitting on the skidder,and let the truck pump the hot coolant through the cold engine on the skidder to get it warmed up.
Also remember the deer standing behind me waiting for me to move off ,so they could get at the tree tops I had just cut down so they could eat.

Last edited by fluffy; 01/22/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Layers my friend, layers....and beer.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dusty
Talk about cold weather, over 50 years ago I worked in the woods in ( north mn.) got up one morning, went out to cut wood with ax and chainsaw,I slambed the ax into tree stump so i wouldnt loose it in the snow, the handle broke, couldnt understand why it was a new ax. Went to start chainsaw and I couldnt even pull the rope so I took the saw and went back to the shack.I had to walk a half mile each way to get where I was cutting.When I got in the shack I put saw by stove to warm up, after it warmed up awhile I could pull it over.Then I went outside and looked at thermometer, it showed -53 below

I love to hear stories like this! Care to elaborate Dusty? Where / why were you working there? What were you doing etc.? Or do I just need to come up to chickenbuck during rifle season to find this stuff out?

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mule1
Oh yeah well its been up to 113 here before!

That's all I got.

Seriously I don't know how you guys do it that's just too freakin cold!

How do we do it?

Thinking about that.........really the biggest pain in our azz when it gets this cold is vehicles not starting but with good batteries and block heaters that is not a problem. Also, any weak component on your vehicle is going to show itself at minus 20 or below which is the worst time to have it happen. But that also applies to furnaces too.

Maybe God just makes it this cold so we fix our chit!

grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Troof Rooster. The cold is very tough on the vehicles. They like to creek and pop even before you start them in this cold.

I had a 86 Ford Ranger that DID NOT like the cold weather. That sucker was the most cold blooded rig I've ever owned. I even had to start a fire under it once to get the oil pan warmed up. Too bad it didn't burn. laugh

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It warmed up to -10 this morning. I can't take these temps for too long, I might have to move up north.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It warmed up to -10 this morning. I can't take these temps for too long, I might have to move up north.

It's not the heat. Its the humidity...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's a crazy +13 here. Walked the dog while barefoot. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BrentD
It's a crazy +13 here. Walked the dog while barefoot. smile

Traded the down parka for T-shirt this morning. Temp up to plus 2.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I went out to start the super neon before work and it was a balmy +8. I got a little sweated up in my crocks.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've heard that zero is a nice neutral temp, not too hot, not too cold. Simply neutral, no temp.

I think it would take some getting used too, zero sounds kind of muggy to me.

Does firewood split very good at zero or above?

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It does but the wood is usually very wet and stringy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You boys ain't right.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It was so cold last night, I dropped a big round chunk of firewood while carrying it to the house. It hit the sidewalk and shattered into what looked like a half bushel of wooden match sticks.

The white dog was standing in the driveway barking as hard as he could but there was no sound to be heard, just steam. Not till this morning when it warmed up to -10, then the barks thawed out and all hell broke loose. Barking noise was coming from everywhere, some had froze and blown into the woods, some were under the truck, some were up on the roof of the house....

I thought we were under attack!

The dogs come flying out of the shop through the doggy door with the hair up on their backs. An intense exchange of current and day old barking went on for about a half an our.

This must be very confusing for the dogs.

They finally went back inside the shop, very much on edge� skittish.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
its cold enough out in that north wind to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge laugh

Every day of my life forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ARSS grin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A hour ago it was -4 here. I just looked and it is -2 now. Exactly double the warmth in one hour or twice as hot as it was. That is a pretty big shock to a person's system.

Dave, I know what ya mean about the barks...have you had any howls (either coyote or woof) drift into your yard? They are so stinking long they get wrapped around things and I am telling ya, you dont want to hear a howl wrapped in circle.

Might go down to the lake tonight to cut a hole in the ice to float the air mattress in and get some relaxation in my speedo. grin eek

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's so cold the hommie's in st.paul are leavin their pant up.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BM
Might go down to the lake tonight to cut a hole in the ice to float the air mattress in and get some relaxation in my speedo.

With this cold, I'm going to say there will be a lot of "relaxation" in your speedo.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Made it up to 10* above today. Wind picked up again with light snow.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dusty
its cold enough out in that north wind to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge laugh

I was out in the forest tonight getting firewood for home and I saw a raven fly over the truck with a set of steel bridge nuts hanging from his beak.

So I guess you're right about that.

Something clever here.

Page 1,070 of 1,842 1 2 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.