Hey, I'm restocking guys! I promise!

And it is always best quality only. Really. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Seems like the manly art of turning trees into wood chips has pumped some life into tho Camp crowd. I think I can hear Tim Taylor grunting in the background. laugh

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Arrrgh, Arrrgh, aaarrrrgh. grin

I was saying some pretty manly words when I was changing the belt on the snowblower!

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tzone,
Booze, blood and bitching; the manly way to spend the day. Extra points awarded for gas, gears and grumbling. Hope you got the belt installed without too much physical damage to you or the snowblower.

Ron

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How'd you go through a belt so fast? I'm still on the original belt and my blower is 4 years old.

Major fish kill being reported on the Big Eau Pleine, DNR is saying that 60% - 70% of the fish could be lost.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Out of oxygen?

That sucks.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Out of oxygen?

That sucks.

Yep!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ron,

The only damage was to my knuckles and my pride. I have to get a different one tonight if the John Deere store has them. I called last night but they closed 10 minutes after I called. It would take me about 15 to get there and he wasn't willing to wait for me, so I have to go up tonight. He said they should have on it stock.

Bill,

I'm not sure how that happened? I'd be willing to be the blower doesn't have 10 hours on it. I'd not be surprised if it has less than 6 actual hours on it. The belt was pretty chewed up. It almost seems like it is too wide for the pulleys but I'm not expert on this stuff.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Out of oxygen?

That sucks.

Yep!

Didn't they spend a [bleep] of money on an aerator system? I have a good friend that lives on there, Bill I believe you've met him... he's not impressed to say the least. There was a big kill on the EP about 5 years ago and fishing was just starting to come back?

This is disappointing to hear. I wish the DNR could figure out what's going on in that lake. Well, I guess they do know, it doesn't have oxygen.

Last edited by tzone; 03/13/13.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's what I could find so far.

Fish Kill

I just emailed my friend Jim and he was thinking something was goofy with oxygen when his minnow were dying under his tip up's. This is actually what he just sent me.

I was made aware of this a couple weeks back when my minnows started dying beneath my tipups. I looked into the isopleths (dissolved oxygen charts) and saw that the fish were in big trouble. typically, about 4 ppm is required to sustain a healthy fishery. even the aerator isn�t able to boost the oxygen to that level. for some reason, there is some oxygenated water up by the spindler bridge.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
OK that link isn't the greatest but Brent will be able to decipher something out of it...

There is an artilce which is what I thought I linked. Bill, I forwarded the articl to you. Do you think you could get it to link up to us? I couldn't for some reason on this computer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Ron,

The only damage was to my knuckles and my pride. I have to get a different one tonight if the John Deere store has them. I called last night but they closed 10 minutes after I called. It would take me about 15 to get there and he wasn't willing to wait for me, so I have to go up tonight. He said they should have on it stock.

Bill,

I'm not sure how that happened? I'd be willing to be the blower doesn't have 10 hours on it. I'd not be surprised if it has less than 6 actual hours on it. The belt was pretty chewed up. It almost seems like it is too wide for the pulleys but I'm not expert on this stuff.

"Nothing Runs Like a Deere" smile

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
OK that link isn't the greatest but Brent will be able to decipher something out of it...

There is an artilce which is what I thought I linked. Bill, I forwarded the articl to you. Do you think you could get it to link up to us? I couldn't for some reason on this computer.

Must be something in the air, I'm having problems getting emails from the SBC account. Tom, resend to my Charter email address.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Not a whole lot except you ain't got much oxygen up there and it's getting worse.

I don't know that river, and it looks like it is really are reservoir which means not much current, not much open water. Lots of sediments and therefor lots of O2 eating bacteria.

Here in IA we get fish kills when a farmer makes a "deposit" on his personal sewer (generally a small river to most people). The big load of organic matter kicks the bacteria into high gear. They chew up the manure and all the O2 doing it, and that kills the fish. It's not the sewage that is toxic, it's the O2 deficit that the sewage causes that is the killer. Luckily around here, the farmer only pays for the fish he kills, so he generally has a big 1-time start up fee, but after that, if he is regular about it, there aren't any fish left to kill, so the cost is effectively zero.

Big sudden runoffs over frozen ground will sweep a lot of manure and other organics into the river unintentially and this same thing can happen but it's usually less dramatic. My river just jumped 12 vertical feet last Saturday, and we might be seeing low O2 but all the fish died last summer anyway.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ron,

Bill,

Being chased by a CAT. grin as we say in the construction trade.

Last edited by tzone; 03/13/13.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BrentD

Big sudden runoffs over frozen ground will sweep a lot of manure and other organics into the river unintentially and this same thing can happen but it's usually less dramatic. My river just jumped 12 vertical feet last Saturday, and we might be seeing low O2 but all the fish died last summer anyway.

This very well could be the case. It is smack in the middle of central WI farm country. The resivior is a dam where the Big Eau Pleine River dumps into the WI River. The whole area is really neat. The fishing is usually good, the fishing on the WI is beyond good at the right time of year.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ron,

Bill,

......until it doesn't!

Ron

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Nothing runs like a deere"

Or smells like a john.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by BrentD

Not a whole lot except you ain't got much oxygen up there and it's getting worse.

I don't know that river, and it looks like it is really are reservoir which means not much current, not much open water. Lots of sediments and therefor lots of O2 eating bacteria.

mostly this - Eau Plaine is wide and shallow (flooded plain as the name implies) and pretty eutrophic/hypertrophic. Significant algal blooms. It's just too much decomposing organic matter and nothing to inject more oxygen. The water level and draw-down come into play, too.

Support your local brewer.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You pretty much just described the Big Eau Pleine. Add in the snow pack and you have end up with a major fish kill.

Page 1,103 of 1,842 1 2 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.