Congrats Dave. Next you know you'll be signing up for 1/2 marathons. smile

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
A shipping scale at work? Tell me that thing aint rigged to read low! Just kidding, that is fantastic. I wish I could do that but I am not a drinker. I have never finished a beer in my life....just cant stand the stuff. I do have a wine cooler 3-4 times per year though. I know, that is pretty manly, aint it?

Yep... you can give it back... just when you got your card back for buying the sweet minivan you get it snatched right back.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Funny thing is I haven't missed it at all.

Maybe because we haven't exactly had springtime weather yet, maybe because I'm too busy working on my road runner, I don't know but it just hasn't been something I've missed at all.

Man...working out in the shop would have me missing it. Really, congrats the weight loss.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

2 more finished and with their new owners.

Dave....good job on the weight loss. I'm not much of a drinker, maybe one a week. It's the sweets that get me.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice knives.

Dusty certainly cherished his j elky knife.

Something clever here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great work, J.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very nice knives there. I need to make a few, though I have more than I can possibly use. But I like the simple style you have there. I could put on to use right now.

This is from about an hour ago.

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Excellent! That bird looks like it has a lot of interesting color.

And as usual, a beautiful shotgun! Details on the hunt and the bird please.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Something I tried on a hunch on Saturday...

I seasoned 1/2 of the turkey breast from the bird Jack and I got the week before. Then baked it at 350 for 1hr, shredded it, and put it in the crock pot with Cream of Celery soup for a few hours. Then served it on buns, for pulled turkey sandwhiches. It was a "crock pot" type of day here so it really fit the bill.

Something different if you're looking for a way to serve it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tom,
That sounds pretty tasty. I've been cooking them in cream sauce with a little bacon and misc stuff and served over wild rice (real wild rice). I sort of make it up as I go. Your idea sounds pretty good and easy too.

I've been cooking pheasant in mole sauce and that is just about incredible but I'm addicted to mole.

The bird was one of a group I call The 4 Amigos. I have seen them often. Today, I set up in the corner of a field that hangs over a small river. I knew they, and maybe a big solo gobbler would be roosting somewhere along the edge. As it turns out, just 100 yds away, maybe less. On the roost they sure sounded like gobblers, but this guy has only a 5" beard and nubs for spurs, though well worn nubs they are. I'd almost say this is a second year bird, but probably a jake. He weighed 18 lbs on my antique fish scale. Not sure if it is even close to accurate.

Anyway, they flew down and were supposed to walk down the deer trail to me where I was lying underneath a fallen tree. But instead, they crossed straight out into the grass on the edge of a bean field. 35ish yds out, maybe more but on my right side, and with no cover. I switched the shotty to the other shoulder and fired. He went down but then got back up and started running at an angle away. Got the gun back on my right shoulder and hit him again and he was down for keeps. That second shot was a carefully paced 40 yds. The first, maybe just a little closer, but not much. He was not well shot.

Saw lots of birds in Wisconsin last weekend when I drove up and back to Lodi for a match. Looks like it should be good hunting up there too.

Next year, the Three Amigos will be nice birds for sure.

Brent

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks Brent. It sounds like a great morning and some excitement with the opposite shoulder shooting.

How does non-res turkey hunting work in IA? Any idea of the odds and public access birds?

Ryan, any word on the new job?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tom I really don't know how non-res works. There is public access birds - they can be super tough. I would go second season to get at them with as naive as possible. Private land is all I hunt. I'm very lucky but I hunt a very small place (~200 acres, mostly crop) very carefully.

teh best hunting is along the Mississippi to the East, or in the Loess Hills to the west. Also decent in the south. Where I am, it is pocket hunting, but there are good birds populations along rivers, esp. the Des Moines, Boone, but also the smaller streams like the S. Skunk (my river) and Squaw (where I was this morning). But most of the smaller rivers and streams will be private. Access is about like elsewhere, hit and miss, and best if cultivated ahead of time.

Brent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
The venture is going in spurts. The manufacturing part has me stumped right now.

Talk to ND..Bet he can answer your mfg questions.

Yep, That's fer sure !!

& it seems like he needs money to buy beer !

wink whistle

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey, when it gets tight... A guy has got to cut something from the budget.

Beer got cut.

grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave,
PM sent.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

Ryan, any word on the new job?

not yet, I jump everytime the phone rings though

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dave,
PM sent.

Did i not reply?

thought i did but my pc may have fritzed out.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just found out I didn't get the job, bummer because I really wanted it. oh well, such is life. taking little man fishin I think

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well it may have been MY confuser fritzing out cuz I never got the little flashing envelope, but then I double checked and it was there.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
Very nice knives there. I need to make a few, though I have more than I can possibly use. But I like the simple style you have there. I could put on to use right now.

This is from about an hour ago.

[Linked Image]

Very nice !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Page 1,129 of 1,842 1 2 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.