Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,273 of 1,842 1 2 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Sounds like it is gonna get even worse Sat-Tues. Be careful folks, a small mistake at -35 degrees turns into broken parts really fast!

Yes it does, a small pile of really hard snow at the end of the driveway, at -20 will destroy the plastic bumper cover on a Chevy Tahoe.....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This weather officially sucks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sounds like it is gonna get even worse Sat-Tues. Be careful folks, a small mistake at -35 degrees turns into broken parts really fast!

A lady at work yesterday really put this time of year into perspective. She said, "our next day off is Memorial Day"! eek

My next day off is MLK day. We're not even allowed in the building...but we can work on Christmas if we want. Bassackwards if you ask me.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
This weather officially sucks.

Well....

on 44 weeks til deer camp. Or 308 days but who's counting?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bubbajay

Yes it does, a small pile of really hard snow at the end of the driveway, at -20 will destroy the plastic bumper cover on a Chevy Tahoe.....

Don't even get me started on Chevy Tahoe's and broken parts!

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Take it easy out there Rooster. visibility going to be down to zero if they're right. Wouldn't be surprised if they close I94.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure it's supposed to snow this far south, but man the north sure doesn't need anymore snow!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Take it easy out there Rooster. visibility going to be down to zero if they're right. Wouldn't be surprised if they close I94.

Thanks Bill. I'll be traveling I 90 and then I 29 North. Some of the most wide open, desolate country in the region. This is gonna be a real treat.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You might be ahead of it Jim (Hopefully). Keep checking on the conditions.

Update, wife just told me schools will be closed in most of MN on Monday?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep. -60*F windchills. As a dad to little kids...I do agree with this move. Though I would have just brought them to school if they didn't close it. I wouldn't make em wait for the bus in those temps.

Last edited by tzone; 01/03/14.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Yep. -608F windchills. As a dad to little kids...I do agree with this move. Though I would have just brought them to school if they didn't close it. I wouldn't make em wait for the bus in those temps.

I was actually planning on doing something that used to make me laugh when I saw it: Driving the little guy a block to the bus stop and having him stay inside it until we saw the bus.

Granted, I laughed at it when I saw it done and the temp was 20-30 degree ABOVE zero, but still......

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Daughter just called. She teaches in the Mosinee school district. They're closed Monday along with Everyone else in Marathon and Portage counties.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am getting ready to go to work and just looked at the temp. It is 5 above, maychance I orta go start the truck and let the old girl warm up a wee bit.I know it ain't anything like you guys are having, but it is the coldest we've had this year. Another week or so and we might even get out on the ice. See you later, nearly time to go babysit halfwits.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Made it!

It was a combination of high wind and drifting snow. High wind and pillow drifts. High wind and streaky ice. High wind and rain. High wind and glare ice. High wind and snow. It was an interesting trip!

That said, the inventory went smoother than it ever has in this companies 40 year history. From all accounts, it appears that the powers that be are very impressed and happy.

So, I'm having a drink the size of my head right now! lol

P.S. There was LOTS of cars in the ditch in that stretch. Why can't people just learn to slow down?

Last edited by Rooster7; 01/03/14.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Glad you made it safely. I grew up between Fargo and Grand Forks and know what you are talking about on the highways there. Family still lives in that area and said it was bad all day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Glad you made it safely. I grew up between Fargo and Grand Forks and know what you are talking about on the highways there. Family still lives in that area and said it was bad all day.

Between Grand Forks and Fargo is always bad. Especially when you hit that one bridge by Hillsboro I think it is. I deer hunted by Grand Forks one time and 3 of us in 4wd pickups were following each other driving home in this kind of weather. We came over the bridge and there was a state tropper sitting there in a blind spot because someone had hit the ruhbarb and was way down the ditch. The trooper was blocking half the damn lane. While, I see him at the last second and played Dukes of Hazzard around him completely sideways going downhill and got straightened out somehow! I looked in my mirror and seen both my buddies trucks turn sideways and straighten out just like I had done. I laughed and thought now THAT's boys that know how to drive!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah, the only way one leans to drive in it, is to drive in it.

Goofin around in the trucks in fields, parking lots and snow filled back roads is about the beat way to figure out how your rig reacts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by rflshtr

Between Grand Forks and Fargo is always bad. Especially when you hit that one brige by Hillsboro I think it is. I deer hunted by Grand Forks one time and 3 of us in 4wd pickups were following each other driving home in this kind of weather. We came over the brige and there was a state tropper sitting there in a blind spot because someone had hit the ruhbarb and was way down the ditch. The trooper was blocking half the damn lane. While, I see him at the last second and played Dukes of Hazzard around him completely sideways going downhill and got straightened out somehow! I looked in my mirror and seen both my buddies trucks turn sideways and straighten out just like I had done. I laughed and thought now THAT's boys that know how to drive!

I was curious if you made the trip safely, I went from south Fargo to North Moorhead for lunch today, the trip back to South Fargo was slippery as hell with 2 vehicles on their side and another 3 had got together at the 25th street overpass/onramp...and this was all within a couple miles.

I believe the bridge is near Buxton ND, and I have seen many vehicles with the shiny side down...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep Tzone, that is so correct. My cousin and I had a great time learning to drive in a bean field that had froze one year and then we got some warm weather so it was greasy on top. I really learned a lot that day. For one, I learned that my cousin's hands were strong enough to leave permament marks on the dash from grabbing on so hard in fear of his life from my driving skills (at the age of about 13)! I did make it across the approach over the deep ditch though. Somehow. He still talks about it....with fear evident in his voice.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The bridge that was worst for me was the one north of the road to Mayville over the rail road tracks on a curve that is up in the air without any protection. That bridge over the Goose River at Hillsboro is always an adventure too.

Page 1,273 of 1,842 1 2 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.