Print Thread
Hop To
Page 439 of 1,842 1 2 437 438 439 440 441 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Proof that MY deer is still around grin what a horse!

[Linked Image]

Geeez! Ya got elk moving through?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by big drift
T the biggest thing like all game is to keep it from drying out, hence the bacon. Jerky is good but my kids eat to much that I usually dont have enough left over for it.

Sounds like that is the trick. Plus, it's wrapped in bacon. How can that be bad? I've never made any waterfowl myself, never hunted them either. I'd like to some day I guess.

My best friend Luke that died, was big into the ducks/geese. We were always going to go 'sometime', but 'sometime' never got around... I miss the him, but he's shooting geese right now I'm sure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tzone

Proof that MY deer is still around grin what a horse!

[Linked Image]

Geeez! Ya got elk moving through?

Looks to me like you had a fawn's feet slide a little and you guy's are gettin' all worked up over its slide mark!

I double-dog dare you to shoot him this year to prove me wrong. Any of you. whistle

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we'll do our best to shoot that spotted fawn. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thinking the next several years are gonna be very good at camp chicken buck cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ya best watch for fawn shooters Dave, as I recall Ryan is the fawn killer and you'll be out of the legend of forky toes. wink

Another good trick to use to help track him is to put dirt traps on all your trails and check them fairly regularly, basically clear out a area from grass and put in some loose soil for tracking purposes. You can also tie thin string on the trail and the direction the thread is pulled and broke will give you a direction of travel. Once you narrow his travel trails then your one up on him and can focus there.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
BD, you been on the res so long you need to bridge the generation gap and teach the young indians the "Old indian tricks"

grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LOL no that is from back home from up in the mountains chasing wapiti and highcountry deer. Used the same tricks in the army chasing narcos.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
okay BD, I will bite. how do you know it was forky fawn that moved the string and not ... oh say....a swamp squid?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hello! I really enjoy when those of you fortunate enough to have camps, post pictures and share the spot! Wish I had one...hell, wish I had a lease! Saw of some acreage in the U.P. that seemed like a decent price, middle of now where..frntage on US 2. I know nothing of this area and I live in NH..seems like a stretch! Gulliver, MI I think...lake McDonald

Last edited by fatjack34; 08/31/10.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Middle of nowhere sounds perfect.

My kind of place grin

Something clever here.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not even sure wildlife exist in that area! wink

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
B- swamp squids per the chickenbuck survival guide leave easy sign such as upside down deer in the water, large suction cup mark and abrasions on trees, and they leave much more or a drag pattern.

Ya see any of those indicators head on back to the cabin, load up on liquid courage, upgrade on calibers, and stack on the testicular fortitude as it's gonna be a hell of a run.

However Dave and crew have a secret weapon in PWM as he is the only licensed certified expert in swamp squidery to direct the taming of the beast. If all else just make sure you can run faster then Tom or Ryan.

Last edited by big drift; 08/31/10.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Laughing!

Someone is on their game today! Good stuff! grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by big drift

However Dave and crew have a secret weapon in PWM as he is the only licensed certified expert in swamp squidery to direct the taming of the beast. If all else just make sure you can run faster then Tom or Ryan.

Running faster than Tom ain't much of a feat! laugh Though if ya can't, I wouldn't tell anyone that. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is way too funny! laugh

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its nice that its opened up, captain bangflop and I can really stretch out our 300win mags this year maybe smile

and the spots on deer mean they are just about ripe smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave all you need up there is a Sherpa, ours has decided to switch from his Moisin Nagants bayonet to an auto loader. My only concern is if he has to much downtimes and tries to turn it into something beltfed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
oh heck drift, they got em on the shelf in the store I just came from in town. I just can't justify spendin 40 bucks on a box of WBY wammies when I'll be toting along 3 other bang sticks that shoot straight & have plenty of ammo to go along with them.

I don't need the 300 wby, the reaper... the slick actioned tuned triggered m70, glass bed, floated... 3.5-10 50mm FFII B-Plex.... BOOOOM! ok, maybe i do need it. And with the 4 shells I found, I will carry it for certain sittuations, for certain stands I may sit in. and the 4 shells will be just fine.

Hey boy, if you are checking this, I'll have 2 days of stink on you by the time you get up here friday night cause I'm going out at dark-30 in the morning tomorrow!!! I'm goin to the porkypine to see if I can catch that rutty-shmutty buck that's been tearing up the ground up there. Maybe I'll have horns hangin on the pole by the time you & gramps get up here. If the wind dies down in the morning they are gonna want to move after 3 days of high winds.

i'll try to fix the road by the gate, tell gramps I'll fix it so good even a chevy will make it through!!!

naw, better not tell him that or I'll have to put up with 2 days worth of ford bashing to even the score...

You go on out there & win your game, get your practice in on friday then get on up here cause i can't shoot all these timber goats by myself.

i'll have a light on for ya.

dave

ND - I've enjoyed reading this and trying to catch up. I found this back on page 48 and thought "I bet he wished he had stocked up on those $40 bullets back then". Do you still have that WBY? smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dave,loggers always leave a lot of "waste".You will have mucho mucho firewood this year.
A clearcut given a year will produce a lot of browse and you will have a lot of deer moving in.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Page 439 of 1,842 1 2 437 438 439 440 441 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.