Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had no idea that Santa had contacts of that caliber ! I'm going to have to get back in touch with him , it's been a while .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
BP-B6

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
sweet

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
One of the best looking Christmas trees I've ever seen, hard to beat that under the tree:

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You are absolutely right BlackFrog. That is a fine looking Christmas tree. Santa must really like you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Awesome... love my 35 Remington Handi. 200 grain Core-Lokts are killers!

A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Actually this "present" was something I had been searching for some time now. My father (now 81) still loves his deer hunting and deer camp, and always enjoyed special and unique rifles and shotguns. A couple years ago I mentioned that I had seen one of the Grice run 7600 Carbines in 35 Rem. He has always been a 35 Rem fan from the old days, a classic caliber not seen much now.

He never knew the 35 Rem became available in the Grice special 7600 runs. After I mentioned that 35 Rem 7600 Carbine, he thought that would've been a super rifle to have. He would ask about the gun occasionally, wondering if I had ever seen any more, knowing that I keep an eye on the gun/rifle boards for interesting stuff. I looked for a while, but none ever seemed to turn up, or if one did surface it was gone immediately.

I found this one recently, and was thrilled to find it. It was delivered to my FFL on Christmas Eve, just in time.
I packed the Remington box in an oversized outer box, wrapped it all up, and put it under the tree with my Dad's name on it.

Christmas morning came with little kids ripping presents open and wrapping paper flying everywhere.
I waited until the end to put that big box in his lap. Of course he had NO idea what was in that huge box with his name on it.

He pulled at the wrapping in wonderment, not knowing what in the world was in there, picking through the bubble wrap to get to the inner box.
He finally saw the end label of the Remington box that said "7600 18.5" Barrel 35 Rem".

His face said it all- complete shock and surprise.
Seeing the thrill of his delight was worth the price of any fine rifle in the world.
He was saying half under his breath, "I'm over 80 years old, and no one has ever given me a rifle before...".
I was a little slow in trying to capture the moment, but needless to say I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/26/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to find one of those! Congrats and well done. With a bit of brass trimming, it'd be legal for deer here in Hoosier-ville.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's quality stuff right there. I have about reached the point that I enjoy gifting firearms as much as I enjoy getting them for myself.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow! That's awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your father.

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice Hog Rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, very nice! Even looks like it has a barrel band on it already cool stuff.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yup, barrel band and stock sling stud already installed.
The shop owner had taken this gun in trade quite a while ago, and couldn't absolutely guarantee that this gun had never been shot, but was 99.9% sure that it was still new and unused.

I could not see any evidence of use, no wear at all on the action slide arms.
Not that it would've mattered a whole lot as I was going to buy the gun regardless of NIB or not, it looked perfectly new to me.
I couldn't find a mark on the gun.

I'm not sure who had more fun with this rifle- me locating/buying/wrapping this rifle knowing I had found a needle in a haystack, or my dad opening this up and realizing what it was.

It doesn't get much better than a Christmas feeling like that. smile

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice find..When I was a kid, my grandfathers best pal used a .35 Rem..he killed a load of deer with that rifle and a bear or so as well..oddly it is one of the few common caliber I have never used or owned..may have to try one..

Molon Labe
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are a good man, and fortunate to have your father around to receive such a fine gift, mine was gone before I was 13.

Dave

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RDW
....and fortunate to have your father around to receive such a fine gift, mine was gone before I was 13.

Not only am I blessed to still have him around (I just turned 43), but to have him in such good health that he's still deer hunting, climbing tree stands, cutting/stacking wood, etc.

I fully appreciate every outing we get to have together.
That's some special stuff....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now THAT's and Assault rifle..!

Could do some serious assaulting...

wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great story. Great Dad. Great son. Great rifle. The picture of your Dad and the rifle says it all. A great Christmas.

I know how you feel. My brother and I gave my Dad a Marlin 39a lever action 22 LR years ago. He gave my brother and I Marlin 39a rifles when we were 13. We returned the favor and gave him one. He said the same thing... "No one has ever bought I rifle for me." He was 65 years old. He couldn't wait to get it outside to get into a plinking session with us. A memory that will last forever.

It IS better to give than receive. Well done.

Here's a link to an interesting study of 35 Remington bullet tests (expansion). Cut to the chase, the Remington 200 grain jacketed round nose works great.
35 Remington bullet tests

I had two Marlin 336's in 35 Rem (an early waffle top 336A ballard rifled model, and a 336c 20" microgrove version). I'm still trying to figure out why I sold them.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BlackFrog - great Christmas story - now you guys need to get out and drop one with that new rifle! Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There has been some of these on the used rack at Grice's. They did have some new also.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Buttstock- thanks for that link, I'll print that out for Dad- he'll enjoy the reading on the 35 Rem.

I had called Grice earlier this year, nothing there for the 35 Carbine. I kept an eye on the Pennsylvania Hunting forums too (along with several other sites) since they seem to be central concentration of Rem 7600's and Grice.

Having Dad get a shiny new rifle like this give him lots to look forward to in the upcoming months besides a long winter. Figuring out which mounts and scope, sighting it in, and then counting down the next 47 weeks until the next deer season!

I think his birthday will bring a Leup VX3 1.5-5x with Post & Duplex installed, and then for Father's Day a set of Talley LW's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.