Picked up a new 1895 guide gun big loop last week. Shot it with open sights and found that this thing is going to be a blast (pun intended
decided i was going to scope it. Bought a game reaper 1 peice mount and proceeded to take out the filler screws. First two (front receiver pair) came out ok with a little encouragement. The back two however were not coming out. I made sure i had a proper screw driver and then used a penetrating oil and lastly tried tapping the screw driver with a hammer. after all of this the slots started to get a little buggered up. I called Marlin and they said they have had lots of problems with this and are well aware of the issue. I asked if they could provide me with a pickup tag and they said no they cant do that. I was a little surprised at that. Frustrating to purchase a new rifle and have to send it off to a gun smith on my dime to have a problem fixed that the manufacturer knows is a problem. I was hopeing they would pick up the shipping charge. My local smith said it looked as though the finish they apply had locked in the filler screws. He was going to have to likely drill them out.
Just posting so that others may know if they have a similar issue.