Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I picked up a 10.75# standing rib roast last night for $4.99/Lb.
Day one.
I have unpackaged it and racked it over a platter with papertowels underneath, not to touching.
I have patted down the outside with sea salt and set it into the lowest part of my spare fridge to dry. I will keep track and post pics every few days for those considering this.

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many days are you going to age it? I wouldn't get to crazy with the salt, it will pull all the moisture from the roast. $4.99 per lb, sounds like it's a select cut.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OK let's stop this right here - I'M ALREADY DROOLING!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never salted one but do wrap mine in a cotton cloth.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents, FWIW, and I am open to new idears....

Your best bet to age beef would be a hanging quarter where the cover fat would protect the red meat from drying out--prior to cutting it.

Exposing red meat to salt and fridge evaporation would seem likely to dry it out...unless by "dry aging" that is exactly what you are intending to do...but then dried beef can be made from cheaper cuts...

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa030301a.htm

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/dry-aging-beef-pays-off-big-flavor.aspx

from the second link............

Why dry-aged beef tastes better

All fresh beef is aged for at least few days and up to several weeks to allow enzymes naturally present in the meat to break down the muscle tissue, resulting in improved texture and flavor. These days, most beef is aged in plastic shrink-wrap�a process known as wet-aging. Dry-aged beef, on the other hand, is exposed to air so dehydration can further concentrate the meat�s flavor. It�s a more expensive process than wet-aging, however, because the meat loses weight from dehydration, and it also must be trimmed of its completely dried exterior.

We dry-aged a previously wet-aged boneless beef rib roast from our local market in one of our test kitchen refrigerators for three days. We had another rib roast from the same steer which we left in its plastic wrap to continue aging for the same amount of time. After roasting, we tasted them side by side. The dry-aged roast was more succulent and had a mellower yet beefier flavor than the wet-aged roast, which tasted watery by comparison. Next, we dry-aged another roast for seven days, and we were blown away by the flavor. Despite the loss of 20% of its original weight, we�re convinced that for a truly special occasion, like a Christmas or New Year�s dinner, dry-aged beef is worth the time and expense.
Before dry-aging.
Seven days later (and six ounces lighter).
How to dry-age beef at home
One: Buy a prime or choice boneless beef rib or loin roast from the best meat source in your area.
Two: Unwrap the beef, rinse it well, and pat it dry with paper towels. Do not trim. Wrap the roast loosely in a triple layer of cheesecloth and set it on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet or other tray.
Three: Refrigerate for three to seven days; the longer the beef ages, the tastier it gets. After the first day, carefully unwrap and then rewrap with the same cheesecloth to keep the cloth fibers from sticking to the meat.
Four: When ready to roast, unwrap the meat and, with a sharp knife, shave off and discard the hard, dried outer layer of the meat. Shave away any dried areas of fat, too, but leave behind as much of the good fat as possible. Roast whole or cut into steaks.

Last edited by eh76; 12/27/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One year I made a rock salt encrusted prime rib and it wasn't too salty at all however it wasn't the tastiest prime rib I've ever had or made. I won't make it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the same thing a few years ago, we covered the entire roast in mustard then rock salt. It wasn't bad but definitley not the tastiest prime rib i've ever made. I thought it was pretty cool how the rock salt formed a hard crust over the roast and I used a knife handle to crack it.

Going to have to try the dry aged method, though I do like to season my roasts for several days before cooking.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one I did was rock salt mixed with water to form a paste that you slather all over the roast. It came out hard as rock and yep ... had to use the back of knife to crack it open.

It wasn't near as good as just salt, pepper and garlic.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The salting is very light and gets brushed off. Its just to suck off the surface moisture.
I do one every year for xmas. The one we did this year went 7 days. 20 days seems about perfect.
back in the days of real butchers, the meat was hung in the reefer and cuts were taken off as requested. It wasnt until the late 50's that the cryopacking started. before that everyone ate dry aged beef if they bought it from a butcher.
Some of the dry age stuff done by profesionals looks scarey, but, its done right regardless and is safe even bloody rare.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will be interested in your results. Please post pictures if possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive done the "alton brown dry" one...its ok...it took up room in my beer fridge...that part was not cool......what i do now is good eats so i'm fat and happy.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.