CLICK HERE for $70 INSTANT SAVINGS on Eligible NIKON MONARCH 5 BINOCULARS!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7229118 - 12/26/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
M99ER Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Nor'East USA
I figured as much that you were tongue in cheek and only posted my ribbing reply after JSC's inspired me but you snuck a reply in between as I was posting.

The muzzle loader season here is not at all about having a primitive season for hunters. It is again all centered around money. The state makes cash on taxes. This includes scopes, powders, pellets, saboted bullets, etc, and all other muzzle loader accessories as well. They even put the season AFTER the rifle season and rut so handicapping oneself to shorter ranges is compounding an already big enough problem. A long shot is more likely after the rut and the deer have been spooked from 4 weeks worth of "warfare" (by the sounds of it anyway crazy ) in the woods so a scope makes more sense for our ML season.

If you like to handicap yourself, or make it a challenge, this is honorable, but the need to enact a change in, or more laws, I'll pass on that vote and opt as you, to do it on a personal level, if the desire so happens to overwhelm me. But then, I'd probably get rid of the inline and pellets, and pick up a Kentucky rifle and some Goex if I felt so compelled.

RV 728 BP
#7229147 - 12/26/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: M99ER]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado
I understand the money deal. Colorado tried to ban inlines for one year. They got so much pressure they gave in. I think they realized how much money they would lose. The same thing with BH 209. They tried to ban, but gave in again.

I don't expect much to change with the regular ML season here. It would be nice to also have a real primitive ML season, but I don't see that happening either, because they think the season is primitive now.

It is what it is. I'm sure longbow hunters would like a primitive season too.

#7229278 - 12/26/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
sharps4590 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Missouri
We no longer have a muzzleloading season in Missouri. A few of us, for our own satisfaction, still enforce one on our own property and hold to the original intent of primitive seasons. Works pretty good for me archery season too. Don't see any cam actuated arrow launching devices or in-lines on my place.

In general the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give it to another class of citizens. Voltaire'

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

#7229403 - 12/26/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: sharps4590]
M99ER Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Nor'East USA
As to Hunter Orange I agree. If an archer hunts in any of the firearms seasons it should be worn at all times but I have no objection to full camo in strictly archery season although I wear or have with me something with a bit of orange in the pattern so other hunters can spot me.

Sharps,
If you have everyone on a level playing field that is fine. This would keep things more peaceful in the woods and the game would not spook as bad as we have it here.

Putting a muzzle loader season AFTER the high powered rifle season is making things more difficult for the smokepoler to get in close enough to the already spooked deer / game. If they reversed the seasons then I could see limiting it to more traditional or primitive weapons and sights.

#7230053 - 12/26/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: M99ER]
sharps4590 Offline
Campfire Regular

M99, it's just something a very few of us choose to do on our own property. Most would probably laugh at the geriatric group that does it. We continue to enjoy it, however. We'll set up a primitive camp and do the best we can to remake it the earliest 1800's of Missouri. I don't know how many more years I'm going to be willing to sleep on a bed of leaves wrapped up in wool blankets under a diamond fly....it ain't as easy as it used to be. Even when the time comes I'm just not willing to camp like that I still won't forego my flintlock. There's always smoothbores shooting PRB's for up close and personal.

In general the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give it to another class of citizens. Voltaire'

#7231020 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: sharps4590]
rodwha Offline

I feel the muzzleloader season ought to be more like a traditional season. No inlines, or modern bullets in sabots, and scopes need to be traditional.

I suppose Pyrodex would need to be OK as there are too many places BP isn't available, or too hard or costly to get.

I just received a Lyman's Deerhunter for Christmas. Maybe not exactly traditional, but somewhat old fashioned.

#7231149 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: rodwha]
colodog Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: North of Denver
I wish percussion caps were outlawed and we had to make our own powder, build our own rifle , mine and cast our own lead, or stay home.
Smooth bore matchlocks, that it! crazy

As for getting all the states to agree, We can't even get people on the fire to agree... Ah well.

P.S. Happy B-Day MauserHunter!

Edited by colodog (12/27/12)

#7231329 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: colodog]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Thanks.

#7231463 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Crockettnj Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: Mauser_Hunter
If you guys look at my first post. You'll see what I wish is already in place in my state.

We get along just fine, and kill lots of game. I guess most of the other states don't think you guys are as good hunters. smile

That, or the value liberty, free choice, or the decision of the sportsman more than you do.

Let the flames continue. ;-)

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

#7231491 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Crockettnj]
Blackheart Offline
Campfire Tracker

All I use is iron sights, round balls and real black powder. Outlaw scopes, inlines and sabots to your hearts content and it wouldn't bother me in the least. You want/need to use those crutches you've got the general firearms season to get your jollies and here the general season is before muzzleloader.

#7231579 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Blackheart]
Crockettnj Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: Blackheart
All I use is iron sights, round balls and real black powder. Outlaw scopes, inlines and sabots to your hearts content and it wouldn't bother me in the least. You want/need to use those crutches you've got the general firearms season to get your jollies and here the general season is before muzzleloader.

why use a gun as your crutch? Fashion your own long bow and be a real hunter. No?

I just dont get the divisive nature of complaining about who uses what. Shoot the gun/bow/speer you prefer, and leave the next guy out of it.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

#7231712 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Crockettnj]
sharps4590 Offline
Campfire Regular

why use a gun as your crutch? Fashion your own long bow and be a real hunter. No?

I have done that. And my own arrows using turkey feather for fletching. At the time flint arrowheads were unavailable and I haven't learned to knap flint, nor did I know anyone who did. That has since changed....I'd like to use them some time.

#7231774 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: sharps4590]
LarryBud Offline

Anytime a we as a group make a move to diminish opportunities to partake in our sport, we set hunting back. I used to fight changes that didn't fit my style of hunting or fishing. Then I read the statistics on how fast the outdoor sports are shrinking in participation.

As we move to a more urban society and each time a Psycho shoots up a Mall or a School we are loosing ground and opportunities.

#7231827 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: LarryBud]
TomM1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Millville, Pa
Why not have both? Here in Pennsytucky, we have a modern in-line season for doe in Oct, then a primitive flintlock only season in Dec-Jan for either sex. They do allow conicals and peep sights on the flintlocks now.

I am relatively new to ML hunting, but its great. I use my flinter in both season. Usually have some good tracking snow for the late season, but the deer are spooky.

#7232034 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Crockettnj]
Blackheart Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: Crockettnj
Originally Posted By: Blackheart

Already been there and done that too. If you'll notice I didn't say I wished they'd outlaw scopes and inlines, I said it wouldn't bother me in the least. I really don't much care what anyone else uses.

#7232651 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: TomM1]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: TomM1
Why not have both? Here in Pennsytucky, we have a modern in-line season for doe in Oct, then a primitive flintlock only season in Dec-Jan for either sex. They do allow conicals and peep sights on the flintlocks now.

I am relatively new to ML hunting, but its great. I use my flinter in both season. Usually have some good tracking snow for the late season, but the deer are spooky.

That's exactly what i've asked the DOW for. I'm not trying to take anything from the inline shooters. I'd like to see them have their own season. Let them even use sabots, scopes, and smokeless powder if they want. Call it Modern Muzzleloader season.

Then let us traditional types have a Primitive Muzzleloader season. Flintlocks/caplocks, PRB, and primitive sights.

Everybody is happy, and on the same page. The DOW doesn't lose any money, but will probably gain some in tag sales.

I wasn't serious with my first post, but I am with this one.

Edited by Mauser_Hunter (12/27/12)

#7232782 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
The CO DOW likes to cram all the hunting seasons in from Sept thru the last of Nov. They are even not all that crazy about the Sept. hunts as grazing leases are still in effcet and the DOW caters to the AG community or they would lose the witer feeding grounds. After Nov 31,they don't want to be out rescuing stranded hunters due to the weather. Where would another season be placed?

Edited by saddlesore (12/27/12)

#7232849 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Bulletbutt Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Between Seafire and Scott F
Is there something a person can treat their musket caps with to waterproof them?

#7232905 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: saddlesore]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: saddlesore
The CO DOW likes to cram all the hunting seasons in from Sept thru the last of Nov. They are even not all that crazy about the Sept. hunts as grazing leases are still in effcet and the DOW caters to the AG community or they would lose the witer feeding grounds. After Nov 31,they don't want to be out rescuing stranded hunters due to the weather. Where would another season be placed?

After bow season, and before 1st rifle season for the primitive season. There wouldn't be that many hunters, so it shouldn't upset the rifle hunters that much.

#7233318 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Guaranteed the DOW is not going to establish any more special season hunts.

#7233393 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: saddlesore]
Overkill45 Offline
Campfire Regular

After bow season, and before 1st rifle season for the primitive season.

I would be all for that even though i might not hunt it. I can still get the extra days after rifle season if i wanted with an inline. It might also generate a little more revenue and interest in traditional guns.

Edited by Overkill45 (12/27/12)

#7233498 - 12/27/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: saddlesore]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: saddlesore
Guaranteed the DOW is not going to establish any more special season hunts.

I know, I talked to them. I can wish though.

The funny part is they really think they have a primitive season now, because they don't allow scopes, pellets, and sabots.

#7235532 - 12/28/12 Re: I Wish....... [Re: LarryBud]
Crockettnj Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: LarryBud
...Then I read the statistics on how fast the outdoor sports are shrinking in participation.

exactly.

You guys who live in wilderness are blessed, but on the other hand you dont seethe declines on a first hand basis like city/suburb hunters do. A way of life is disappearing. In a building with 75 employees I am the only one hwo hunts. that is down from 5 a couple years ago.

hunt with what you want, but if you REALLY want to be a hunter, find someone to pass it on to.

#7256367 - 01/02/13 Re: I Wish....... [Re: Crockettnj]
srwshooter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: grottoes ,virginia,usa
watch what you wish for guys. when obama get thru we'll have to hunt with blow guns and sling shots

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
448 registered (3006Justin, 257heaven, 338rcm, 309coug, 260Remguy, 53 invisible), 1089 Guests and 338 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,485 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,585 Topics
10,007,257 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.