NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7231299 - 12/27/12 Best cuts of elk meat?
Gary O Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Roseville, CA
Does a cow eat better than a bull? What are the best eating cuts? Thanks...

NRA Member

RV 728 BP
#7231303 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Gary O]
Toolelk Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
Yes. Backstraps and tenderloins. Nothing better....

#7231335 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Toolelk]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Toolelk

+1

I'll add that i've had some chewy bulls, but normally they taste great. I've never had a bad cow, but I don't shoot the old ones.

#7231378 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
Except for spikes, I'd say that cows are better eating. The bulls might not be big enough to get the breeding done but they still go through the rut and have lost some weight. They tend to be tougher.
Tenderloins are the #1 cut, followed by the loins & rounds. I've found that loin chops cut from the front half seem to be a bit tougher than those from the back half.

#7231385 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Rock Chuck]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

That's one of the perks of muzzleloader season here. The bulls have just started the rut if at all.

#7231419 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
shrapnel Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Bozeman, MT
Tenerloins, it doesn't matter, bull or cow, it's all great. 5 easy steps...

1. Shoot the elk

2. Get the tenderloins (not Backstraps, because no one is really sure what a backstrap is)

3. Prepare the tenderloins

4. Cook the tenderloins in a smoker grill

5. Eat well...

If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

#7231447 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: shrapnel]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Ah hell! I was trying to get to bed without eating anything. Now i'm hungry.

#7231454 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Cow is better than old Bull, a younger bull is usually fine.

After that its the same as deer, lion, blackstrap,...

#7231492 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Rock Chuck]
Jaguar Offline

Loc: WY
Originally Posted By: Rock Chuck
Except for spikes, I'd say that cows are better eating. The bulls might not be big enough to get the breeding done but they still go through the rut and have lost some weight. They tend to be tougher.
Tenderloins are the #1 cut, followed by the loins & rounds. I've found that loin chops cut from the front half seem to be a bit tougher than those from the back half.

Generally all true. The neck end of a loin (backstrap) is indeed tougher. The ribeye section may be tenderest (middle), but the strip steak part between the last rib and the the rump is also good fare. In a worn out old bull aging will help, and if the strip steaks are very flat, you can butterfly them to make a larger steak. By that it means to cut a 2-inch crosscut, then nearly crosscut that all the way through lacking about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and fold the halves flat, away from each other, giving the look of butterfly wings with the uncut strip in the center.

Tenderloins, from inside the body cavity along the underside of the spine, are the filet mignon. If you try to eat them only a day after the elk was shot, you may find them tough, but all meat will become more tender with age. I have found that sometimes the tenderloins are more strongly flavored than other cuts, not just because of their position inside the body cavity, which may make them more prone to becoming washed in blood or other body fluids.

I generally find rounds to be tougher, and wanting cubing as steaks.

One should not overlook the sirloins (top part of the rump) as good steaks, or as a small roast. These, too, make nice steaks.

#7231574 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Jaguar]
billrquimby Offline
Campfire Regular

About 20 years ago, I shot a 6x6 bull in New Mexico and a spike bull in Arizona just one week apart. The spike was gamey and tough, the old bull was tender and good tasting. Go figure.

My favorite cuts are the tenderloins, butterflied as described above, and round steaks. We cut them about 1/4- to 3/8-inches thick and beat them with a tenderizing hammer before dipping in flour and frying.

Bill Quimby

#7231613 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: billrquimby]
baldhunter Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Corpus Christi,Texas
I have an old Hobart electric tenderizer.I ran my elk steak through it twice and was quite pleased,with the tenderness.They came out just like the cube steak you see in the stores.Life's too short to chew on tough meat.

#7231675 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: baldhunter]
kawi Offline
Campfire Ranger

Aw heck that is what you do with potenchel putred pork not elk.

#7231685 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: kawi]
kawi Offline
Campfire Ranger

grin.

#7231711 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Toolelk]
flagstaff Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Flagstaff, Az
Originally Posted By: Toolelk

+1

#7231715 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: shrapnel]
Les7603006 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: shrapnel
Tenerloins, it doesn't matter, bull or cow, it's all great. 5 easy steps...

1. Shoot the elk

2. Get the tenderloins (not Backstraps, because no one is really sure what a backstrap is)

3. Prepare the tenderloins

4. Cook the tenderloins in a smoker grill

5. Eat well...

You sir know how to cook a mean tenderloin
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags

#7232722 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Gary O]
1minute Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Burns/Hines, Oregon, USA
Calves are absolutely primo followed by yearling cows and then spike bulls. I'd be perfectly happy if I could put two calves in the freezer per year.

#7232757 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: billrquimby]
vapodog Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Nebraska
While I've not eaten it....I'm told a dry cow is the best....and that they can be identified by their color somehow.

If you want superb elk meat just can some.....the stuff is terrific.

#7233068 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Gary O]
Bighorn Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern Kolorado
Butterflied Tenderloin steaks, grilled to medium rare- makes no diff whether they are from a cow or a bull, IMO, they are just about the best wild game on the planet.

#7233332 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Bighorn]
smokepole Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I'll agree with loins and backstraps but a lot depends on how you plan to cook it. I used to let the dogs eat the shanks until I slow-cooked some (low heat, 8-10 hrs.) in the oven. The meat slid off the bone and was very tender and tasted great. Now I cook shanks and other gristly cuts in a crock pot. If you do that with a good cut like a backstrap, it doesn't turn out as good, because the collagen (connective tissue) in the shanks turns soft with slow cooking, and the good cuts don't have much of it.

My son's girlfriend doesn't eat much meat but she'll eat the elk I cook. Her favorite is the stuff I cook in the crock pot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

#7233390 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Gary O]
Mark R Dobrenski Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Bozeman, Montana
Ok, I'll be the scurvy dawg and say for me there's nothing better than an elk burger grilled while out in the hills... cool

Dober

#7233410 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Mark R Dobrenski]
Bighorn Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern Kolorado
Originally Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski
Ok, I'll be the scurvy dawg and say for me there's nothing better than an elk burger grilled while out in the hills... cool

Dober

There's nothing better than an elk burger grilled while out in the hills, with a slice of cheese and a roasted jalapeno.....

#7233468 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: smokepole]
wyoelk Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: smokepole
I'll agree with loins and backstraps but a lot depends on how you plan to cook it. I used to let the dogs eat the shanks until I slow-cooked some (low heat, 8-10 hrs.) in the oven. The meat slid off the bone and was very tender and tasted great. Now I cook shanks and other gristly cuts in a crock pot. If you do that with a good cut like a backstrap, it doesn't turn out as good, because the collagen (connective tissue) in the shanks turns soft with slow cooking, and the good cuts don't have much of it.

My son's girlfriend doesn't eat much meat but she'll eat the elk I cook. Her favorite is the stuff I cook in the crock pot.

Agreed. Except I cut mine off the bone in one inch chunks. Flour and brown. Into a dutch oven for 8-10 hours at 200-225 with some taters and onions. My new favorite. I used to leave them in the woods until a friend told me I was nuts and to give his cooking method a try. He was right.

#7233497 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: wyoelk]
Mule Deer Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
One of the basic rules for meat from any four-legged animal the meat is more tender the further back and higher on the body.

To some people tenderness is the only quality necessary for good meat, but another old rule is that tougher meat has more flavor. This is why filet mignon is usually wrapped in bacon. Otherwise the flavor is pretty bland.

It's also the reason tougher cuts are used in wet-cooking methods, whether braising, pot-roasting or crock-potting. They not only tenderize in the moisture but have more flavor when mixed with herbs, spices and vegetables.

ALL the cuts off a good elk are excellent eating, if we know how to cook the different parts to get the most out of 'em.

We tend to prefer spikes and raghorns to cows and old bulls, but all can be very good, depending on when they're taken and how they're cared for in the field.

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#7233571 - 12/27/12 Re: Best cuts of elk meat? [Re: Bighorn]
smokepole Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: Bighorn
There's nothing better than an elk burger grilled while out in the hills, with a slice of cheese and a roasted jalapeno.....

You guys are making my mouth water. But I am gonna have to try somma' that filet mognon Mule Deer is talking about..... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
507 registered (12344mag, 1899sav, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 257heaven, 69 invisible), 1145 Guests and 350 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,456 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,136 Topics
10,001,005 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.