Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Post pertains to Kimbers, ULA/Nula, 'Mountain rifle contour' barrels, or similar.

Curious since we have folks using them in Alaska and the Northwest, vs other areas where temps often a good bit lower.

Knowing barrel heat makes fliers, just curious if lightweight barrels shoot more consistently in these colder areas?

I would expect first shot cold bore POI to be similar.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think it would matter. Im not going to heat either up enough in a typical hunting situation to notice a difference. But then again im not hunting prairie dogs and such where you shoot tons of ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Post pertains to Kimbers, ULA/Nula, 'Mountain rifle contour' barrels, or similar.

Curious since we have folks using them in Alaska and the Northwest, vs other areas where temps often a good bit lower.

Knowing barrel heat makes fliers, just curious if lightweight barrels shoot more consistently in these colder areas?

I would expect first shot cold bore POI to be similar.

as the other guy said, doesnt matter, if yah fire a normal string the barrel heats up just the same.....yeah it can cool down faster but it will get to just about the same temp if your not waiting much between shots....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't think so....light barrels can walk from heat but some walk less than others.Especially light barrels not properly stress relieved.

At least that's my observation.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's kind of hard to say. I don't have one of the named specimens, my light barrelled rifle being a M700 Mountain. My thoughts are these: at cold temps I am content with having the snow, or most of it anyway, cleared from the scope lenses. Then I try to control my breathing, not to avoid shot-muffing so much as to prevent fogging the objective. (There's a follow-through issue here too.) Then, assuming multiple shots are needed, I am now shooting at a moving target, so any MOA shooting is more than likely to be a moot point anyway. But you can often see your misses as they often land and spray in snow, and correct from there if need be.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This same thought was rambling around in my head and for sometime now my opinion has been for some reason I have found them more consistent in cold weather. Right or wrong, I'm not sure. So for what it's worth, 30F out this AM and this is the best overall group this young rifle has shot and the first time it has been shot with temps in the low 30's.

.243W Montana. First three shots out of a cold clean barrel went into an inch cloverleaf. Shot the .22-250 for two strings and then went back to the .243W.

Six shots total-third was the screw-up, but it looked good-load, shoot, load, shoot because things seemed to be going good. Still only an inch group, however Deer workup with the Barnes 80gr TTSX is done I'm thinking.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/27/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Klik - no doubt, the FIRST shot is often the best for success, and if not made, no matter why, follow up shots are often on running game.

That said, there were a few times in my hunting career that I had to shoot more than once for various reasons, inc. deflected bullets, etc. As to snow, none here - Lol.

I was just curious if temperature affected various owners accuracy results, as some are good, some great, and some, not so much. I know this is assuming equally built guns of the same model, quality ammo, scope, conditions, and shooter skill.

Thanks guys.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Battue, I'd say 'let the good times roll' wink You have a deer killer! TTSX is bad juju as you know. Good hunting! BTW, as you know, a smaller bore of the same OD barrel, means stiffer, and slower to heat up...so a 243 in the same contour POTENTIALLY is more prone to shoot w/more precision than say a 338.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Forgot to add the Nula .22-250 could essentially care less what the ambient temp is. It just keeps pumping out .75in or better groups for the most part.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's common with NULA's of all barrel weights.

In fact they normally shoot just as accurately with the barrel screaming hot as with it cold, and to the same point of impact as well. That's one reason I often use my NULA .30-06 as a scope-test rifle: I can keep shooting without letting the barrel cool down, getting results a LOT more quickly than if I had to cool the barrel down between shots or groups.

The same applies to the one Forbes Rifle I've tested as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A good barrel, regardless of weight, don't cause fliers when it heats up. I've had plenty that I could cook an egg on that shot just as well.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by battue
This same thought was rambling around in my head and for sometime now my opinion has been for some reason I have found them more consistent in cold weather. Right or wrong, I'm not sure. So for what it's worth, 30F out this AM and this is the best overall group this young rifle has shot and the first time it has been shot with temps in the low 30's.

.243W Montana. First three shots out of a cold clean barrel went into an inch cloverleaf. Shot the .22-250 for two strings and then went back to the .243W.

Six shots total-third was the screw-up, but it looked good-load, shoot, load, shoot because things seemed to be going good. Still only an inch group, however Deer workup with the Barnes 80gr TTSX is done I'm thinking.

[Linked Image]

Looks like you have it up and running!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A good barrel, regardless of weight, don't cause fliers when it heats up. I've had plenty that I could cook an egg on that shot just as well.

As usual, Scott cuts right to it... wink

I agree.

Battue the 243 looks like it will work fine!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

^^^^

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Looks like you have it up and running!

I think it just had to become confident that it finally found a home were it was going to stay awhile. grin

Addition: No light rifle mojo incantations required other than making sure it was level in the bags and didn't jump around. Light hold on the forearm.

Last edited by battue; 12/27/12.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So what makes a ULA/NULA not open up as they heat up?

What makes a rifle more accurate for 3 than 5 shot groups, if heat is not at play, what is?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know. Only thing I can "guess" is that with his tight FLB, the barrel and stock are essentially one piece and are more of a stable unit than when the barrel is FF and can more easily move.

JB can perhaps give a more accurate answer.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What makes a rifle more accurate for 3 than 5 shot groups, if heat is not at play, what is?

Statistics.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
battue,

The tight, stiff forend is one factor, but as other people have stated a good barrel doesn't shoot less accurately or change POI when it's hot. Douglas makes good barrels, as do a number of other companies. Many factory barrels are also good, but some aren't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Statistics.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.