Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...this - lead, bar solder and previously rendered linotype:

[Linked Image]

into these:

[Linked Image]

I've used #2 alloy exclusively for a long time now. Used to have a recipe using wheelweights, 50/50 solder and lino but used up all my wheelweights. Still have many pounds of lino left so I just add pure lead to the recipe. 5/1/4 mix of lead to solder to lino.

For a 10 pound batch I use a good scale and weigh out the components to +- .1 of a pound max and melt that all together. Each batch stays pretty consistent that way, but then the ingots from one batch get piled up in different places in the main stack. Then while casting the ingots are grabbed from random places on the stack to further mix the batches so the end result is about as consistent through each casting session as I can get it.

Besides, the anal retentive in me gets a kick out of seeing all of those nice shiny ingots lined up like that. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Jim!! I've been slowly plugging away with my alloy but have a huge hurtle to overcome now.. cry grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I feel your pain. wink

The lead ingots I buy are roughly 5-6 pounds so each one will go into the RCBS furnace but have run into trying to cut lead before and never found a really good way. A friend used to use his band saw to cut up big ingots but the lead quickly gummed up the teeth. I've used an axe to chop on it but it's so soft it just bends.

The bar solder can be scored with diagonal cutters and then bent back and forth to break it. But really big hunks of lead still give a problem.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hand axe and a sludge hammer will get that chunk to surrender, Woody wink. Make sure it's on a hard surface so it won't bend (plywood on concrete slab works well).

Ya gots yer work cut out for ya . . . but, since you are going to "retire", you'll have all kinds of time, right?

Looks good, Jim . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter
Hand axe and a sludge hammer will get that chunk to surrender, Woody wink. Make sure it's on a hard surface so it won't bend (plywood on concrete slab works well).

Ya gots yer work cut out for ya . . . but, since you are going to "retire", you'll have all kinds of time, right?

Looks good, Jim . . .

Nick don't know about "all kinds of time" but gonna work at it !! Jim's pic made me realize how many boolits I still need to cast with the Sharps delivery around the corner.BTW Jim nothing wrong with 'em all lined up lookin purdy! grin

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Nice Jim!! I've been slowly plugging away with my alloy but have a huge hurtle to overcome now.. cry grin

[Linked Image]

Woody, a couple months back someone posted some pics of breaking down a big hunk of lead into more manageable pieces by using a hydraulic wood splitter. Looked like it worked well.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott.. thought about the log splitter approach as I have a very powerful home built machine with 2 stage hydraulic pump that should do the job.I'm getting real tired of moving that behemoth and requires a hand truck anyway but will eventually make lots of bullets for the Sharps.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woody - since I'm gaining in years, and have CRS disease to boot, I can't remember what bullet/bullets you plan on casting and/or trying out? If you did mention . . . please refresh my memory.

Just FYI - I've had real good luck with a 30:1 in both my 45-70s and in the 45-90, Lyman 457125 Gov't and the 457132 Postell, very little to no leading. I get @ 14 and 13 respectively from a pound of alloy. Looks like you have enough lead to last you a while (I have seen pics of your stash). Hope your Shiloh is getting close for you.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nick I'm alloying 30:1 as well and for greasers have the Lyman 457193..457125 and the Parker Hale 457121.Trying to decide on which PP to order may just go with the RCBS offering at first to get my feet wet unless someone has a better idea..Was leaning toward a custom 2 dimensional from Brooks but not so sure I will now.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot I had the 457193, too. Actually that was the first mould I had and shot it (the bullets, not the mould) out of my 45-70 RB for the first year I had it. It works real well out to 400-500 yards but they had a tendency to star tumbling beyond that range unless you were careful not to push them beyond about 1200 fps. Still shoot the bullet in my 45-70 Marlin 1895 CB cast from WW. Good bullet regardless.

I can send you some 457132s if you'd like to try them out . . .

NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure I'm all for trying anything thanks.Was also looking at a 540 gr Creedmore semi-spitzer by Paul Jones moulds.If anyone has used this one please chime in be glad to hear some info on their products.

Nick hope you and Bernie have a great New Year and please stop if you get up our way..

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ETA on your Sharps yet? I'll send you 50 soon, assuming I can remember. PM me your addresss or I'll call, again, assuming I can remember that, too.

Best wishes for the new year to you and Marsha, as well. Hope she doesn't drive you nuts in your retirement . . . or is it the other way around?

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't heard yet but just guessing by my last conversion with Shiloh probably late next month or Feb. It'll be close to two years.I'll pm you my addy thanks Nick. smile

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.