Print Thread
Hop To
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
What do you guys like. My dad is wanting to get one if he finds an after Christmas special. He really likes Stihl products. Residential not commercial use but he does have a farm. What model would you recommend? Pros and Cons of handheld vs backpack type?

He has an electric one that is part of a outdoor vacuum setup so he definitely wants one that is gas operated.

Last edited by TATELAW; 12/28/12.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got a Stihl that I really like. I'll have to go out and see what model it is. Starts easy and blows hard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got one 5 or 10 years ago and rarely use it any more. It was made by Toro,
runs just fine. The problem is the wind in Jan thru March just blows the leafs back.

Last edited by Hotload; 12/28/12.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an Echo and nothing to compare it to. Haven't used it to blow many leaves, but I bet I've got one of the few forced air induction barbeque grills...... smile Makes a rip roaring fire in no time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i got ekho it wurks good wen i make catgurl kleen in the trayler

I got hooked on phonics
Guess my IP now fistphuckology!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
11 years ago I got an old Toro that came with the house.

Now I am giving that away, because I got a new Toro for Christmas.

[Linked Image]
The guy I am giving my leaf blower to, is someone who came up with an unusual use for a leaf blower. He built a saw dust separator for his table saw. He put a 5 gallon bucket on top of a larger bucket and created a cyclone separator. No dust comes out of the blower. It all drops to the bottom of the bottom bucket.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Husqvarna a few years ago, was going to get a hand held but picked up this one (back pack style) for 1/2 price.

If you or he is going to be using it for more than 10-15 minutes I'd recommend a back pack style.

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Appreciate the info but would love to hear from some more Stihl owners. He's got a Stihl chainsaw he really likes and there is a Stihl dealer/service center here in town so that's probably the brand he will go with. From you Stihl owners, what model would you recommend?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I just bought the SH56 a few months ago. It has a leaf vac attachment, too. Works just fine and starts on the first couple of pulls. I've shredded multiple bags of leaves with it and it works well, it's only stalled once or twice when a decent sized (too big) stick got jammed in the shredder blades. Blows leaves around just fine and will blow them off the grass just fine, too. (Though I've been using my lawn mower with bagger to pick up lots of my lawn leaves).

My only real gripe is the system Stihl used to change from leaf blower to vac. You have to press down on some tabs with a screw driver to free things up, and esp. the first few times you do it, is a real bear to mess with. You'll know what I mean when you look at it. I would tell your dad to have the dealer SHOW him how to switch from blower to vac with the Stihl and whatever other brand (Echo??) of blower vac they might have to see which is easier.

If he's only going to use it as a blower most of the time, it's pretty much a non-issue. If he was on a residential lot, I'd say go with the handheld. If he'll be using it for more than 15-20 mins at a time, you might think about the backpack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i just got a craftsman blower vac, that thing will blow leaves to the next county, and suck 'em right back

blower vac

Last edited by steelheadslayer; 12/28/12.

=========================================================
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Starts easy and blows hard.

Knew a girl like that once . . .

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the Stihl BG55 blower and the Stihl FS55R string trimmer. Will never buy another brand again. Local shop is great. the Walmart/Lowes $100 brands are throw aways when they tear up. Usually in the first two years. Stihls you fix. A common problem with the cheap models is the pull cord breaking or coming lose. To have them fixed is a $70 job on a $100 dolar blower. To be replaced requires a major disasembly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My opinion is that they are loud and obnoxious

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I wish my name was "Leaf"

It would make this thread way funner.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the BG 55 this fall, worked real well for my 1/3 acre yard. Any bigger of a yard, or if the leaves are piled up, and you want the backpack model.
I'm buying a Stihl trimmer next spring...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus Stihl extends the warranty now.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.