Hop To
#7236440 12/28/12
W
Wbypoor Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Saw 3 new Zeiss Conquest today. HD5 models? A 2-10x42, a 3-15x42 and a 50mm version that did not interest me. Nice sights except for the large eyepiece similar to a Leica. And the price....$799 for the 2-10x42. Sorry, no luck posting pictures..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like it or not, large oculars offer optical design advantages and they will likely see more use in newer models along with the inferior 50mm objective and the dreaded 30mm tube. Fortunately, there is a good supply of new scopes lacking those features, and there will be a lot of used "bargains" from those "not in the know" that always think the latest is the greatest. Heck, there are still plenty of nice "Made in USA" Weavers with steel tubes available on eBay that ride low on the gun and get the job done.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by timbo762
Like it or not, large oculars offer optical design advantages and they will likely see more use in newer models along with the inferior 50mm objective and the dreaded 30mm tube. Fortunately, there is a good supply of new scopes lacking those features, and there will be a lot of used "bargains" from those "not in the know" that always think the latest is the greatest. Heck, there are still plenty of nice "Made in USA" Weavers with steel tubes available on eBay that ride low on the gun and get the job done.

What is your point ?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just responding to the OP's comment about the "large eyepiece". I too have had problems mounting them on some rifles. To answer your question, I guess my point is the top of my head, or so I've been told by some.

Last edited by timbo762; 12/30/12.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Optical design advantages", "inferior 50mm obj", "dreaded 30mm tube".

Curious what you meant by that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Just as with most other optical devices meant to be viewed with the human eye, a large ocular lens group can provide a larger eye box, wider field of view and in some cases easier long term viewing. As we approach the theoretical limits in optics design, optical engineers are using every "trick in the book" to gain even a small (often times inconsequential) advantage over the competition. Larger glass at either end is one way to do it, especially as the "zoom" range and magnification increases. The references to 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes were just a satirical jab at those that don't like them for a variety of reasons and consider them a "minus" in rifle scope design. It's just the "intelligent posterior" in me speaking out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Possibly like myself, Tim does not like to have a scope larger than the rifle it sits on.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that's why they make 20mm tubes for y'all and 40-50mm for us. Just whatever blows your skirt up I guess

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like 50,44,42 and 40mm objectives. I certainly have no problem with a 30mm tube. There are a lot of 50mm's out there that are sleek, have world class optics and don't weigh a ton.

Large oculars will in most cases make one go to the next highest ring mount if using a standard 2 lug bolt with a 90 degree lift. I have 2 scopes with large oculars and they are mounted on a Mk V and a TC Icon both who have low bolt lifts. The WBy uses low mounts , the ICON could use low mounts as well but you would have about .050 clearance between the ring and the receiver.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So will Zeiss continue with the Duralyt or does the new Conquest HDS replace that line?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

W
Wbypoor Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
My impression is that the HD5 will replace the standard Conquest. All those I looked at had 1" main tubes where all the Duralyt models I've seen we're 30mm. Makes sense to me that they'd keep the Duralyt?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Doug will wade in here soon and clarify. I will see Alex at Europtics this weekend at the Safari Club convention. I'll see what I can find out.

Looks like this new HD line, already introduced in the bino line, will replace the Conquest, resulting in all the LOW "closout" pricing we have been seeing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.