Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JohnT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

My Kimber Montana's trigger pull wt is fine but it has noticeable creep. Is this the screw that you use to adjust it? Unscrew to lessen sear engagement? Yes/No?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
JohnT

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For some reason, I'm thinking it was in front, and on the bottom of the two? It was a pretty small allen wrench and had a little nut on it. But it was almost a six months ago since I did the last one.

At least, adjusting the one I did got me the desired effect laugh

Studied the picture some more... That's got to be the overtravel adjustment. Look at how high, and which side, of the trigger pin it's located on...

Last edited by DanAdair; 10/30/08.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
JohnT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry the photo makes it hard to determine which way the rifle is facing but this photo is taken from the rear of the trigger.

From the limited information in the Kimber manual - which is just the parts list this is supposed to be the "sear contact adjustment screw" labelled No. 51 on the drawing.

Before I tinker has anyone adjusted this before & did it work & which way to turn?

Regards,
JohnT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a link to the manual. http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloads/Manuals/84m.pdf Find the sketch on page 12 and parts list which names the parts.

The trigger is adjustable. Read the parts names and work it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That`s the "sear contact adjustment screw" according to my manuals exploded drawing. My trigger was creep free and ~3-3.25 lb from the factory. I haven`t seen reason to mess with it yet.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Make sure to double-check the manual and do a drop-fire test repeatedly to check sear engagement, but I adjusted my 8400 as it had a small amount of creep. Very nice trigger and similar to some Timney aftermarket setups.
Make sure to check a drop-fire test and when slamming the bolt closed as well. Accidental discharges are not fun.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes that is the sear adjustment screw(single screw at back of trigger housing). Cock the rifle and slowly turn that screw clockwise until the gun goes off. Turn the screw counter clockwise 1/4 of a turn and re-cock the gun. Test the sear contact at this point. If it is good then bounce the cocked rifle on its butt a few times on a hard floor to see if it accidentally goes off. If it does not your good to go. Kimbers have one of the easiest to adjust sears out there. Good Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stand corrected...

I assumed that Kimber would have something besides Loc-Tite to keep the sear engagement screw in place.

After studying the exploded parts view, I see how I got it backwards.

I'm Irish...

JohnT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oldehunter,

Did exactly as you said. Heck very easy to adjust.

But I still cannot get rid of all the creep. The 2 surfaces must not be mating perfectly and need polishing. The window is kinda neat you can see the sear engagement moving as you turn the screw. Not game to do that though so I will just live with a bit of creep.

Thanks,
JohnT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could try less sear engagement and more pressure on the spring?

I'm Irish...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just scoping my Kimber 84l and would like to lighten the trigger, what's screws are which?

Thanks..

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cal, would imagine they use same trigger as in the 84M but I'm not positive...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah it is, never worked on one before though. I started putzing, but don't want to putz to much.

Bottom screw on the front is weight? What about the top and back screw? There's two on the front with nuts on them and the back one is just an allen screw.

Did get it adjusted to just under 3 lbs, creep free and safe but some over travel I'd like to adjust out if possible?

Thanks...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cal74
I'm just scoping my Kimber 84l and would like to lighten the trigger, what's screws are which?

Thanks..

The single adjustment screw behind the trigger shoe (as shown in the above photo) is for sear-engagement.

In the front portion of the trigger housing are two screws... the top adjusts over-travel. The bottom adjusts weight of pull.

Proceed at your own risk.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THANK YOU...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag for an old thread

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Another tag for an old thread.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.