Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought my son an H&R Superlight. It is the nicest little gun for the thick woods. The problem is it doesn't shoot worth a darn. Maybe 5" @ 50 yds. If I take it to a gun smith what do you think he will do to it and what are the costs? I don't know what to do with it and not sure if I should put money into it. It is a very nice little gun, except it's not accurate. It shoots all over but doesn't string. Since then my son grew up a bit and went with a Tikka t3 light in .270 Win. Much more accurate and a bit more suitable for his this Sept bear hunt. He doesn't want it. I'm thinking it would be nice for way back in the woods.

Last edited by ihookem; 12/30/12.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could start by taking the forend off and sanding the barrel channel to float the barrel. Also make sure everything is tight. Try different ammo. Good luck.

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
As wyohunter99 said, or to test add a small o-ring to the inside of the forearm around the mounting screw to create a spacebetween barrel and forearm. This is from what I gather and what I have experinced a pretty common problem on light weight 243 handi rifles , checkout Grey Beard Outdoors for lots more info . goodluck J.R.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Yah, I did the O ring but might put another one on. If that doesn't work then I guess I dump it or put money into it. The only other thing is try lighter bullets. I Have used several loads but only with 100 gr.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
pull thr fore end and test fire with the butt and aciton on the sand bags, at least you can tell if the problem is not the barrell it,s self. If the barrll is ok then try the 'o' ring trick. Lokk for a copy of Accurizing the Factory arifle by M.L. Mc Pherson lots of good info on single shots and lever actions that might help.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
can,t spell today will be glad when ehe helladays are over

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Trade Bait !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just put a packer sticker on it,it will shoot much better,or at least sell.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What grain bullets you trying. I put together a heavy barrel .243 for a friend of mine and it would not shoot 100 grain bullets. They were key holing at 100 yards. Loaded up some 80 grain bullets and it shot around 1 1/4". Had a long throat also seating the bullets out helped a lot.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I am only shooting 100 gr bullets cause I wanted it for deer. I am going to go get some 80-90 gr bullets but want a hunting bullet. I will try several COL in lighter bullets. After that I'm done trying except for sending it back to the shop. That is what the guys on Graybeard told me to do. They are crazy about Handi's over there.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try Fed Premium w 85 grain BTHP Sierra Game King. Accurate deer killer.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The .243 Superlights have long been the most problematic of all the Handi Rifles. If you have tried shooting it without a forearm on it and resting the frame on the front rest and it does not shoot, then there isn't much hope from it. Something about that set up just causes bad vibes. The .243 standard barrels can be troublesome too, but the Superlight is super iffy.

A friend has two standard .243 Handi's that he bought for his daughters. One shot reasonably well and the other would not group better than 5 inches no matter what we did to it. I hope this works out for you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.