#7256160 01/01/13
Skidrow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is for you Gary.

Just in case ya didn't know...
yaa, yo-bet-sha...It's true

Minnesota became the 32nd state on May 11, 1858 and was originally settled by a lost tribe of Norwegians seeking refuge from the searing heat of Wisconsin 's winters.

Minnesota gets it's name from the Sioux Indian word "mah-nee-soo-tah," meaning, "No, really... They eat fish soaked in lye."

The state song of Minnesota is "Someday the Vikings will... Aw, never mind."

The Mall of America in Bloomington , Minnesota covers 9.5 million square feet and has enough space to hold 185,000 idiot teenagers yapping away on cell phones.

Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world." Avoid this city at all costs.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" was set in Minneapolis , Minnesota , and was Mary's first real acting job since leaving the "Dick van Dyke Show. The show about a single woman's struggle to find happiness in the big city was originally titled "Life Without Dick," but that was changed for some reason.

Downtown Minneapolis has an enclosed skyway system covering 52 blocks, allowing people to live, work, eat, and sleep without ever going outside. The only downside to this is that a Norwegian occasionally turns up missing.

Cartoonist Charles M. Shultz was born in Minneapolis , Minnesota and grew up in St. Paul. He was the only artist to accurately depict the perfectly circular heads of Minnesota natives.

The Hormel Company of Austin , Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats it. Spam is a prized food in Japan & Hawaii--Spam sushi!!

Minnesota license plates are blue & white and contain the phrase "Blizzards on the 4th of July - you get used to it."

Frank C. Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Co. was born in Newport, Minnesota . His 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contained three bars in one wrapper, each filled with a different flavor of nougat -chocolate, Spam and lutefisk.

Tonka trucks continue to be manufactured in Minnetonka, Minnesota, despite the thousands of GI Joe dolls killed by them annually in rollover accidents. No airbags, no seat belts. These things are deathtraps, I tell ya!

Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota, and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam diet" which consists of looking at a plate of Spam until you lose your appetite. Much like the "lutefisk diet"

The snowmobile was invented in Roseau , Minnesota so as to allow families a means of attending 4th of July picnics

Minnesotans are almost indistinguishable from Wisconsinites. The only way to tell them apart is to ask if they voted for Mondale in '84.

Cold is a relative thing ya know....

At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.
At 60, Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Minnesota sunbathe.
At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the windows down..
At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 20, People in Miami all die. Minnesotans close their windows.
At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.
At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in Minnesota let their dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in Minnesota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"
At 50 below, hell freezes over. Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny, there's gotta be one for Florida that's similar. We FL natives sure are different than the Floridiots that move here daily. Some from Minnesota ... smile

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id argue with you George, even call you names, but its all true.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the holiday weekend I ran into one of the young men from scouts way back when I was a leader. He asked me If I still hunted wild Spam.

One Camping trip, when they where all about eight, I brought cans of Spam, and hid them in the tall grass around the camp site. I told the boys about wild Spam, but they didnt believe, so We grabbed flashlights and a pillow case and off I went, diving into the grass and rolling around yelling when I caught one.

Then I showed them how to clean em, and we cut sticks to cook em over the fire. smile

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny guy that George. wink

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still laughing at the camping trip story.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Kojac
Still laughing at the camping trip story.

Me too, but wondering where you went camping. No grass that I know of would grow in Minnesota if that is all true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dell, We camped somewhere south of the twin citys. Its darn near as warm as Wisconsin down there.

Remembering The 99
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Headin' down south toward Illinois, from the jungles of East St. Paul." (John Prine, "Sabu the Elephant Boy")

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remembering The 99
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it was during the Reagan administration when the the two Germany's started opening their boarder that we, in Wisconsin, were pressured into opening our boarder with Minnesota. It has proven to not have became as big a problem as expected for a least two reason -

1) Most Minnesota residents seem to have never found out about it, as with many other things (like the odds of Brett Favre throwing an interception at the worst possible time).

2) Most of the boarder is defined by the Mississippi river which has enough flow to seldom freeze and most Minnesotans seem to be unfamiliar with, and leery of getting anywhere near, any water where you can't drill an ice fishing hole.

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty funning. Been there several times.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene, Up until Savage fest, the only reason I found to cross the river was to buy beer on Sunday. If there is anything a Wisconsinite can understand, without having to draw a picture, its the need for extreme measures when your out of beer. smile

Remembering The 99
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Gene, Up until Savage fest, the only reason I found to cross the river was to buy beer on Sunday. If there is anything a Wisconsinite can understand, without having to draw a picture, its the need for extreme measures when your out of beer. smile

I fully understand and salute your bravery (I hope you used a bridge, that ice seldom gets very thick and if you stop to drill holes every few feet it can weaken it even more).

Skidrow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ah Gary, you weaklings from down south just don't know what its really like. You shoulda lived up north around Hibbing and Aurora like I did. When we were young growing up up there Robert Zimmerman and I didn't know each other. We still don't.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Were you there in the winter of '63/'64?? -52 in Aitkin county. For 14 days the high temp was -20 in late January '64.

I think yer a buncha pups!!

Skidrow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nope. Sorry. By then we'd moved back to balmy northern Wisconsin. Winter temps there seldom got below -45. Remember when everybody's car had an electrical cord hanging out of the grill? All the motels in the north mid-west had outdoor outlets. No one now remembers why.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yikes! I for one am glad I was living in sub-tropical Maryland then. Anybody who would willingly live through long periods of negative number temperatures is a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I graduated from Hibbing high school George, moved south at 18. All the cars of my youth had a cord hanging out of the grill. I dont know Bob Dylan either but once, after a wedding on the north shore, I returned to the hotel room and proclaimed, "Dylan sang about it, I just threw up on it." so we do share Highway 61.

Remembering The 99
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Hoisher
Dat ole George nailed darn good. grin

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.