-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My third and possibly last deer for 2012. 85-pound doe with the ever-present 1A in 7x57mm.

[Linked Image]

This was also a 125-yard (or so) shot that hit her at the front of her right shoulder and exited mid-chest on her left. She never knew she was done for and ran about 75 yards before piling up in a ditch.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Now that I'm basically done deer hunting for the year, I got back after the squirrels. Here's 3 I nailed yesterday, in about 45 minutes with my H&R Sportster. Got them between 10:45 and 11:30 am.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
maddog,
This week I have been getting ~ 1 squirrel per day with the 45/70 handi rifle 1 gr Red Dot 150 gr .458" cast with Aluminium spacer. 400 fps sounds like a BB gun. I developed this for getting raccoons with body shots, but it only works from the side through the ribs. I can't get though a 10 pound coon's front shoulder to the vitals with sub sonic gas escapement loadings. But it has all kinds of penetration for 1.5 pound squirrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Bricktop - pretty classy rifle there, a 7x57 in a Ruger 1A... Nice. Congrats on the doe!

Maddog - looks like you're going to be cooking up some tasty grub with those squirrels soon enough...

Clarkm - that's pretty neat... But, is it legal to hunt squirrels in Washington? I don't think so - not sure why though - there's a zillion of 'em.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WA state web site:
Shooting tree squirrels may be helpful if a small, localized population of introduced species is problematic. For safety considerations, shooting is generally limited to rural situations and is considered too hazardous in more populated areas, even if legal.

The Eastern Gray Squirrel has been invading WA since 1925
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_gray_squirrel

My experience is that even if it is legal to shoot, the neighbors don't want to hear it. And at night, the wife does not want to hear it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I let two different bucks walk today. One was, I believe the nicest shootable buck I have ever seen. It was, I know, at least a 10 and I believe a 12. I never could get a count that satisfied me, but it was at least a 10, I could count that plainly. I was able to watch him for about an hour from about 100 or so yds. He would come and go, appear and disappear, keeping tabs on the other buck and on the doe in the thick stuff.

Rut is in full swing and he had a bad case. The other was somewhat scraggly in comparison. I have an 11 on the wall; this one had a superior rack. He is a truly magnificent WT buck.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son shot this gator, in south florida, right after Christmas. It's not a big gator, but it's a gator! grin

He used his H&R handi rifle, 44 mag and LE factory loads.

[Linked Image]

maddog

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hunted with my Ruger #1 RSI in 30-06 almost exclusively for the last 20 years. This year a nice 7 point whitetail fell victim to the #1 . Nothing better than carrying that short #1 here in Maine and it sure does raise a lot of eyebrows from other hunters as this is the land of the 7400 and 7600.

Last edited by Trappererick; 12/29/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A big 8pt with .35Whelen #1, a 7pt, 8pt and a big doe with .45/70 Browning 85. Was shooting 225s in the Whelen and Leverevolution 325 reloads in the 85.
Squirrels with a .22 SS old German falling block. Single shots get used more than the rest here..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got a pic of the German falling block?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Got a pic of the German falling block?

don't do pics real well but will try.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/hog-2-nov-15-2012.jpg[/img]

There have been a couple other 'yotes and 1 other hog in the past 6-8 weeks, but I have no pics of those. These were all taken since the current whitetail season began. The 'cat was taken yesterday with a 25-35 (actually the gun is set up for our 9 year-old twins but I used it!) and 87 grain Hornady SP. The stainless barrel is a 30-30 AI while the 20" blued is a 7mm Bullberry. The buck was taken with the 7mm BB and a 140 grain BT from 230 ayrds with a frontal chest chot.

Last edited by BobbyTomek; 12/30/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
like those laminate stocks. Brand?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks! The laminates were made by highplainsgunstocks.com with the exception of the green camo forend, which was made by Dave Dolin of West Virginia.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Clarkm
maddog,
This week I have been getting ~ 1 squirrel per day with the 45/70 handi rifle 1 gr Red Dot 150 gr .458" cast with Aluminium spacer. 400 fps sounds like a BB gun. I developed this for getting raccoons with body shots, but it only works from the side through the ribs. I can't get though a 10 pound coon's front shoulder to the vitals with sub sonic gas escapement loadings. But it has all kinds of penetration for 1.5 pound squirrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ClarkM,

Interesting .45-70 spacer gizmo. Details?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I have a history of building guns to get low noise, the most power, no suppressor, and legal.
The trick is to get the powder compressed, the expansion ratio high, and the barrel long. Use soft Lead bullets. Seal the gas behind the bullet by cramming the bullet into the lands. The threshold of super sonic gas escapement [Loud gunshot bang vs BB gun spitting sound] is one atmosphere above ambient.

[Linked Image]

The stock 45/70 chamber has riflings that are way out there. I want to compress the 1 gr of powder, but I do not want to jump to the lands. A jump to the lands would allow gas to make a bang and also it would ruin accuracy with soft Lead. I want a Lead seal on pressure at the lands. So I needed to make a spacer. I made a formula for the outside of the 45/70 case. I measured the thickness of the case wall at 0.1" intervals starting at the case web. I then used a spread sheet to tell me the diameter of a spacer. With DRO, not CNC I made spacers. At first from Steel, but later from 6061 Aluminum Alloy. The flash hole must be big enough to get a decapping pin down. It is a home made decapping die made with drill rod.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ClarkM,

Thanks for posting some of your experiments in low noise firearms.

What do you think of casting the spacer with lead in situ ? A brass tube clamped in position would become the elongated flash hole. I imagine casting might be easier to do considering the work involved in individually machining spacers for each cartridge case.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if Lead will work, but epoxy resin will not. It breaks up.
It takes my 20 minutes to make one from Aluminum, once I get going.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
First with the 1885 smile
375 H&H, 235 Speer over 82 grains of Rel-17, about 2900 fps
Oh yeah, hammer!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
375 H&H, 235 Speer over 82 grains of Rel-17, about 2900 fps
Ouch!

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

403 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.