Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jmbn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I just bought a Gamo air rifle on sale for 99.00; the scope that came with it is a Chinese POS that can't even be adjusted to a good zero. Is there a good solution for a reasonable price?

I've got a drawerfull of old centerfire scopes but I've read that a spring gun will wipe them out. anyone have any experience with this? The old Weaver K-4's are pretty tough.

BP-B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
All gun/scope combo's aren't worth it. It may seem like a good deal at the time, but, like you found out the scope can't handle the guns recoil. And just because the scope has a big name on it doesn't mean a thing. The manufacturer will have a cheap Chinese scope with their name on it to make it seem like it's a good deal. NOT. You will never see names like Hawke, Bushnell, etc. on them. I learned this same thing when I got into airgunning years ago.

Go ahead and try your scopes on it, can't hurt to try. You'll know right away if they can't hold POI after a few shots.

S.W.A.G. it
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xposo

Go ahead and try your scopes on it, can't hurt to try. You'll know right away if they can't hold POI after a few shots.

Actually it can hurt. High powered spring guns will often break regular rifle scopes or cheap "airgun" scopes. I had an RWS 350 break two Burris scopes after being told by Burris that the scopes were airgun rated. I gave up after the second one was replaced under warranty. I also saw a Redfield have the crosshairs kicked loose from an airgun.

The cheaper Spanish and Chinese airgun packages normally come with cheapo scopes. For high powered springs guns I've had good luck with Leupold and the higher priced Bushnell scopes like the Elites. Make sure you either buy one with an adjustable objective for best results.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X

I had a cheap old Bushnell, not AG rated hold POI on a RWS model 48, and NOT break. I put the same scope on 2 of my gas rammed guns and it held on both guns also. It's the luck of the draw, just because it's not rated for an airgun doesn't mean it won't work. You don't always have to spend money for a AG rated scope, try what you have first and see if it'll work before you go spending money, not unless you got money to throw away. Just my opinion and experience after years of shooting AG's.

S.W.A.G. it
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Leupold

A man's got to know his limitations!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
3x9x33 EFR to be exact

A man's got to know his limitations!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For air rifles, even up to .25 cal, I like red dot sights. rm73

"Make my day"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I had a cheap old Bushnell, not AG rated hold POI on a RWS model 48, and NOT break. I put the same scope on 2 of my gas rammed guns and it held on both guns also. It's the luck of the draw, just because it's not rated for an airgun doesn't mean it won't work. You don't always have to spend money for a AG rated scope, try what you have first and see if it'll work before you go spending money, not unless you got money to throw away. Just my opinion and experience after years of shooting AG's.

I think you got very lucky with that cheap old Bushnell. Call any scope manufacturer and ask if they warranty the scope for use on a spring powered airgun. I think you'll find the answer is a big "NO" other than scope built for magnum powered spring guns or scope already braced inside heavily like Leupolds. If the OP doesn't mind risking breaking the scope, I'd say go for it, but be prepared for a moving zero or broken scope.

Unless your mount has some form of stop or can really be cranked down like the one piece BKL's, you'll also find the mounts will slide in the dovetails. High powered spring guns can be a pain to scope properly.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by Timbo

I think you got very lucky with that cheap old Bushnell. Call any scope manufacturer and ask if they warranty the scope for use on a spring powered airgun. I think you'll find the answer is a big "NO" other than scope built for magnum powered spring guns or scope already braced inside heavily like Leupolds. If the OP doesn't mind risking breaking the scope, I'd say go for it, but be prepared for a moving zero or broken scope.

Unless your mount has some form of stop or can really be cranked down like the one piece BKL's, you'll also find the mounts will slide in the dovetails. High powered spring guns can be a pain to scope properly.

Yeah, well, this isn't my first rodeo with magnum powered airguns and scopes. I've been shooting airguns for the past 9 years now and have learned that everything isn't written in stone as far as scopes being rated ONLY for airguns. I've had multiple AG rated scopes break/moving POI on light/med powered guns also. And yes, I know about rings/mounts slipping on tails and scope slip in rings/mounts. IF done right the first time,and not being cheap about scope/mount prices, you shouldn't have any problems the frist time around.(learned that lesson after my first AG combo, since then I only use BKL and Hawke Optics)That being said, you never know if something will or won't work if you never try it, right? That includes trying a non AG rated scope on an airgun. And in my case it did work, if it didn't no biggie, it wasn't made for AG use anyway.

S.W.A.G. it
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been shooting quality spring guns for over 30 years starting with an FWB 134D back in the 70s, but the amount of time someone has done something doesn't mean they're right or wrong. My comments about the mount were actually for the OP, but I've had high dollar standard 22's rings move on the higher powered rifles like the RWS 52 and 350. It's not just an issue of how much money you spend. I just didn't want the OP to put decent money into a scope that wasn't designed for the forward recoil of spring guns and have it break on him.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd recommend a Bushnell airgun scope, AO, I have one in 4x32, they make variables.

Have used a former Beeman SS2, a rare 3x airgun scope.

Also on springers used for ltd time, a 4x and more extensive, a 2.5x fixed. Both did ok for the time they were used.

Strong mounts are a must, springers will make weak ones slide...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An inexpensive airgun rated scope that has served me well is the Leapers UTG AO 4x32. Bases with a stop pin are a must.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't overlook the Hawke air gun scopes. I have a Hawke 4x32 AO on a Benjamin Nitro. Got the scope on sale from EA Brown. Hawke's Arimax line is really good.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the 30 years + I've been using them I have had medium to magnum strength springers eat a bunch of scopes including some mentioned here.
The last was a nice EFR Weaver that held POA fine but the rear lens actually shattered at a shot. I first thought a big drip of water fell on it.
You don't have to spend a mint on a scope but you will be dollars ahead making sure it is air gun rated.
Another biggie,IME, is the fact so many times it seems air rifles shoot way low.
You end up having to use most of the vertical adjustment or even shim the mount/bases to get the rifles sighted in.
Often this is referred to as barrel droop and thought of being a break barrel issue but I have seen this exhibitedin fixed barrel under levers, side levers, and PCP's.
Point being that cross hairs adjusted to their extremes are much more prone to issues than if they are in the sweet spot.
I'd term the issues holding point of aim and out right breakage.
Anymore I always buy a quality scope base that either has angle built in or is adjustable to do so.
They typically cost in the $60- plus range.
Money well spent buying right the first time.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I have a BSA 4x32 and a 3-9x32 Airgun scope on my RWS 46 magnum and 460 magnum, Both have held thier zero with a Zero stop Pinned mount.
I have a center point on my Benjamin Trail.
I also run the RWS 4x32 Compact on my Benjamin/Sheridan 392 all with good luck. I even took the RWS off and ran it on my AR15 5.56 for a while. Good scope for the money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leapers makes good cheap scopes that hold up well to springers - don't skimp on the mounts though.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
K
K
i have a HW97K witch i have moded out and a leapers accushot 3x12 in a full rail mount and 30mm 4 screw rings ..nothing moving here ..22cal i shoot 14.3 gr. diablo exact for the best acc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just ordered a Hawke Sport 3-9X40 AO for my R-9 - for $75, thought I'd give it a shot.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two that have alternated on a Weihrauch 55 MM for thirty some odd years. One is a Burris Mini 4X PA and the other is a Leupold ultralight 3-9 EFR. They both take the licking and keep on ticking. My first scope on it was a Simmons, that self destructed on the second shot. The Burris is not bright enough for field use in other than bright daylight, but it is fine for ten meter work on a well lighted range. Discontinued, but you might run across one.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR on my RWS 48. The scope was returned about once a year because it will not hold zero. Spring guns are very hard on scopes. I have blown rifle scopes out when I first got it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.