Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Near, Murphy Precision, Seekins, TPS....ect......would all make a lifetime stout mount.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frankly, my favorite steel rings are Burris Zee's on all-steel Weaver Bases (either Warne or Leupold's).

KISS.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Until the scopes are made of steel the material the mounting system is made of means chit! I dropped my varmint rig off a rock ledge while hunting, rifle landed on the objective bell and bent the tube of a Nikon Monarch scope. The Lightweight Alloy Talleys didn't budge but the scope was [bleep]. I cant understand wanting steel rings to mount a lightweight aluminum aiming instrument on, but that's just me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The threads in alloy rings are more prone to stripping and alloys clamps that are over-tightened onto the rails milled into steel actions can also become a bit chewed up along the edges..

I prefer steel myself and prefer ring-mounts or one piece units if possible..

For a general purpose hunting rifle, I much prefer those with rails (or similar) milled into the action such as on Sako, Ruger or CZ's ect to negate the need for separate bases..To me, this is probably more important than if the ring-mounts are steel or alloy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When was the last time you read on this forum about quality Aluminum rings failing on a hunter? Of course excluding the threads where guys are regularly swapping scopes and wearing out the heads on Tikka Factory mounts? I have hunted the crap out of some rifles, used em as a walking stick, fallen on them, dropped them and have yet to say man I shoulda bought some steel rings! Rather than show some pics of shiny rifles on a gun bench, I'll throw this out there, scratched up, covered in blood droplets and a pic of me before busting my azz more than once with the rifle strapped to me and my 110 lb pack. I have had exactly zero issues with Talley Lightweights and every one of my rifles wears em.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've just about used them all, but if I had to pick one, it would have to the TPS brand. Great workmanship and finish, and the scope doesn't "roll" when the ring caps are tightened. That said, I've never really had a problem with any.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Talley Screwlocks.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat this all aluminum set-up.

[Linked Image]

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The DNZ setup is so hideous, I'd never use one. I had one for a little while but I couldn't look at it, so off it went.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
When was the last time you read on this forum about quality Aluminum rings failing on a hunter? Of course excluding the threads where guys are regularly swapping scopes and wearing out the heads on Tikka Factory mounts? I have hunted the crap out of some rifles, used em as a walking stick, fallen on them, dropped them and have yet to say man I shoulda bought some steel rings! Rather than show some pics of shiny rifles on a gun bench, I'll throw this out there, scratched up, covered in blood droplets and a pic of me before busting my azz more than once with the rifle strapped to me and my 110 lb pack. I have had exactly zero issues with Talley Lightweights and every one of my rifles wears em.

Actually there were a few photo's of Talley Lightweights with cracks around the screw holes floating around the Net a couple of years back.

I don't recall the exact details, but I think it was attributed to a manufacturing defect.

Regardless,if you have faith in your Talley's and they have performed well for you, that's great!

Life I said, I *prefer* steel ring-mounts and I *prefer* actions which don't require a separate base held on by screws alone..

Regards,

Peter

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My first experience with Talley Lightweights was back when they were only available with New Ultra Light Arms rifles.

Melvin Forbes originally designed them specifically for his rifles, and had them made by another company. My wife got a NULA in .270 Winchester in the early 90's and I mounted a Bausch & Lomb 2-7x on it in Melvin's rings, the worked up a load with 130-grain Nosler Partitions that shot VERY well.

For the next 10 years Eileen would go to the range before each fall hunting season and shoot one shot at a 100-yard target, which would land dead-center, 2" high. Then she'd go hunting. The rifle did that every year for a decade, and her hunting included airplane trips, boat rides, and a lot of climbing up and down mountains. The ONLY reason the rifle didn't stay sighted in after a decade of hard hunting is the scope finally went bad.

Eventually the company that made Melvin's rings went under, and he approached Talley. They said they'd make Melvin's ring if they could also make 'em for other rifles. I've used Talley Lightweights on lots of rifles since, including several NULA's, and never had any problem. If you mount them straight (one of D'Arcy Echols mounting bars helps), there's no need to lap them.

If people really, truly believe aluminum mounts don't work and want gthe strongest steel rings possible, I would either go with one of the many good, heavy-duty tactical rings out there from a number of companies, or follow Safariman's advice and buy rifles with integral bases. I've had very fine luck with both CZ and Ruger rifles and steel rings, in fact they've worked just as well as Talley Lightweights.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Again, Talley makes steel rings. I am definitely a proponent of the vertical split rings. Evidently Talley was too.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see no reason to use anything other than the Talley lightweights. With the base and lower ring made in one piece I cannot possiby see how 2 separate pieces of steel attached together by any method would be stronger. Especially the windage adjustable and dovetail systems.

Even if it were, the scope is going to fail long before the mounts.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used mostly Talley aluminum lwt's for the last 8+ years... never a problem and have had close to 2 dozen on a variety of rifles.

My favorite ring/base combo, hands-down. In fact, just ordered another set for an M70 this afternoon...

Can't see gumping-up a rifle with anything else unless you happen to want a QR ring, or want a little lower mounting than the Talley Lwt's give...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by noKnees
I think nearly all the rings mentioned are pretty good and I have used many of them over time. Aluminum or not, talley lightweights are good and I didn't see them mentioned, but the DNZ ring set up has been pretty good for me as well.

For a weaver base ring.. the Burris signatures are nice, no scope markes and you can get pretty close to a zero without using the scope adjustments.

Personally getting them on straight, locktited where required, and set to proper torque is really the key to most ring/base systems.

A few of us mentioned the talley lightweights...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I also am not a fan of aluminum mounts at all and I am not really sure why so many people like the Talley LW's so much. If you do run those make sure you lap them as they will need it.

Because they are light and the work.......I've never lapped a set.....zero problems.

Even swampy can see thru that BS.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given that the OP has stated that he wants STEEL rings and that he dislikes aluminum rings then the recommendations for the IMO superb Talley LW's is a moot point.

Once again, S&K. As a bonus they are not much heavier than Talley LW's either and look FAR better.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally I think S&K's are ugly, but to each his own.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
nsaqam,

The reason a lot of people have mentioned Talley Lightweights despite the OP saying he wants steel is because they know his assumption that aluminum mounts are ALWAYS weaker than steel is BS.

I have also run into a bunch of people who firmly believe one-piece steel bases are far stronger than 2-piece bases. This isn't true, because 1-piece bases typically use 3 screws, while 2-piece bases use 4 screws. And the screws are the weak point of any scope base.

Similarly, a mount system that does away with the base/ring connection is stronger, whether the connection is avoided by attaching the rings directly to the receiver (as in Ruger and CZ) or attaching the bottom of the ring directly to the receiver, as in Talley Lightweights.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I also am not a fan of aluminum mounts at all and I am not really sure why so many people like the Talley LW's so much. If you do run those make sure you lap them as they will need it.

Because they are light and the work.......I've never lapped a set.....zero problems.

Even swampy can see thru that BS.....

laugh

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.