Print Thread
Hop To
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I turned 75 the last of September. In June my daughter and SIL invited us to a week at their Crested Butte rental vacation home. They both like Fly fishing and have rented an area house for four to six weeks each of the last several summers. I have had a fly rod and reel for a few years and have caught a few pan fish with it, which is fun. BUT, it does not compare with the experience of fishing for trout. The very first one that I landed was a fat wild Brown Trout of about 16-17". WOW. I also caught some larger and smaller Rainbows. One exceptional Rainbow straightened my hook and another finally snapped the wee leader. The last thing I need at my age is another vice, but I am planning next summer to do it again somewhere. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A real kick there. The next step is about a yard long steelhead at the top of some rapids. Toss in 100 yards to the opposite bank. I'll pass on 50 to 60 trout for just one steelhead.

While I still enjoy trout fishing, if I'm rigged for steelhead I get pissed when a 20 inch trout hooks up.

Anyway, now you've done it, and have reason to go for another 30 years.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/02/13.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
A real kick there. The next step is about a yard long steelhead at the top of some rapids. Toss in 100 yards to the opposite bank. I'll pass on 50 to 60 trout for just one steelhead.

While I still enjoy trout fishing, if I'm rigged for steelhead I get pissed when a 20 inch trout hooks up.

Anyway, now you've done it, and have reason to go for another 30 years.

Kind of ironic isn't: "pissed" with a 20 inch trout hook up while rigged for steelies. Folks would die to catch 20 inch trout regularly. But I hear ya!

My big thrill outside of Atlantic Salmon are tiny little trout in a high country creek I have crawl into.

It's never too late to take up the fly rod!

Last edited by troutfly; 01/03/13. Reason: gr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
troutfly:
I would have to agree that what I really enjoy most is the challenge. One I have complete failure on to date is beaver pond Snake River Cutthroat in Wyoming. Over in the free flowing stream sections they are a piece of cake.

Those same fish 10 yards to the side in a gin clear dead water beaver pond will feed in my face, and run like hell when I drop a fly out there. I've gone to the smallest of flys and tippets, done belly crawls and stealth that would make a sniper proud, and still been absolutely skunked. If I don't draw an elk tag next year, I might just devote a 3-week interval to catching one of those fish.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
1minute...it is said that fishermen mature and evolve in four stages. First: you want to catch the most fish. Second: you want to catch the biggest fish: Third: you want to catch the Most difficult fish....thats where you are grin

I dont remember fourth but it must be wanting to catch a big bunch of stupid fish just for the fun of it...cause thats where I'm at laugh

( going pike fishing in Alberta this summer... whistle )

Last edited by ingwe; 01/03/13.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ingwe,

I'm certainly not there yet, but my elders/betters say that Stage 4 is "just want to catch a fish". They fish for fun and camaraderie, and the heck with any particular challenge.

As for me, I'm kinda into the idea of doing something like catching all the extant species of Cutts, with my wife. We've already caught Greenback and Bonneville. And Cutts live in beautiful places.

Scott

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think you nailed stage 4....and you definitely nailed te cutt idea. When you are ready for West Slope Cutts, PM me wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
evolve in four stages.

Possibly mentoring young anglers? I'm doing that with hopes that they will row me through the white water when I get into my 80's.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
troutfly:
I would have to agree that what I really enjoy most is the challenge. One I have complete failure on to date is beaver pond Snake River Cutthroat in Wyoming. Over in the free flowing stream sections they are a piece of cake.

Those same fish 10 yards to the side in a gin clear dead water beaver pond will feed in my face, and run like hell when I drop a fly out there. I've gone to the smallest of flys and tippets, done belly crawls and stealth that would make a sniper proud, and still been absolutely skunked. If I don't draw an elk tag next year, I might just devote a 3-week interval to catching one of those fish.

It's not just Cutthroats in beaver ponds. I think any of the trout species that live in beaver ponds have thier own genus, one that has allowed them to evolve with a certain spookiness that makes spring creek trout look like hatchery fools.
Why not combine high country trout with an elk hunt? If trout season is open during elk or for that matter, mule deer or even moose season, then my fly rod is along. Thrown in some grouse and dang........is it Sept/Oct yet? Loads of fun to be sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
evolve in four stages.

Possibly mentoring young anglers? I'm doing that with hopes that they will row me through the white water when I get into my 80's.

Yep. It's when you get just as much, or more, enjoyment in helping others catch fish as catching one yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not combine high country trout with an elk hunt?

I typically do, but elk get most of the time unless I tag out early. Still after taggin out I'll burn the days scouting new country and finding new ways into old country.

Wyoming is kind enough to toss in a fishing license with their non resident elk tags and I often thank them profusely for that thought.

Last October a couple days before the season opened.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 01/04/13.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice!
When I'm hunting the foothills or mountains, I try and find a coffee or lunch break along side a creek, break out the travel rod and relax with my rifle close by of course.
If I were to move to the US, Wyoming would be my first choice.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fourth stage IMO is when you go purist in terms of method -- be it dry fly, wets, nymphing, midges, streamers or whatever -- to the exclusion of the others and perfect your related tactics, casting, and management of hooked fish as much as you can. High dollar tackle may not guarntee success but high quality in terms of function, durability, reliability, and suitablity to your style of fishing is required. Masterimng all the methods and tackle and learning to use them appropriately in the right conditions is the 5th stage. Then, you can go to golf.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 01/05/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then, you can go to golf

A newly retired friend was considering golf and went to discuss the deal with an avid golfer. That gentleman asked if my friend was happy and he responded in the affirmative.

His advice was to forget about golf.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fish head
Yep. It's when you get just as much, or more, enjoyment in helping others catch fish as catching one yourself.

That's what I liked about guiding. Got to where I'd just about as soon row the boat and put people on fish as catch one myself. "Just about." smile

On the other hand, after a few days of 32 degree mixed rain and snow going down the back of my neck, the pluses of a desk job become a bit ... clearer.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T O M:
That's what I liked about guiding.

At times, I take friends or newbies on hunting of fishing trips in essentially a guide role. No cash is involved, as it's mostly a desire on my part to simply get out there. Still though, I'm the local knowledge.

The stress, however, of wanting to produce for them is near unbearable. There's no way I could handle it at several hundred $$$ a day.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Y' have to decide what you're selling and how to measure whether you're delivering it. Then you have to believe in that choice.

My view was that, since 95% of my business was repeat customers, what I was producing was happy people and how I measured it was if they booked me again next year.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty cool attitude. I like that.

BTW - to the OP, my dad is 85 and still an enthusiastic fly fisherman, particularly for salmon!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.