Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
"Your Rem 870 has seen some duck seasons."

Doc

It has seen a few. I was reflecting the other day that although I now own several "better" shotguns, this one remains the most lethal.

Floated the river last Saturday after the big water froze. I can't remember having a better shoot. Flocks of hundreds of mallards coming up around many river bends. Float takes about two hours. After thirty minutes we had our limits of beautiful late season drake mallards. After a day like that I cleaned up and organized my steel shot, cleaned and oiled the 870, and stowed the waders. Now for devil birds!

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
BP-B2

S
S
Pretty good late season in the Imperial Valley in Southern California. Not too many green heads but lots of Gads, teal, and the omnipresent spoonies.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Odessa
Spent three days on Currituck Sound the week before Christmas - some ducks but pretty spotty (shot three ducks in three days - a few parties got into them better and got two or three each). Heading to Arkansas in ten days for a three day hunt in timber and flooded fields - hope to get in a little more gunning there.

Hey Odessa,

Where in Arkansas are you going? I am heading to the Bayou Meto area south of Stuttgart next week. I spoke with a buddy out there today and he said that there is a lot of water out there and it is scattering the ducks. They have had great season until the last couple weeks. The recent rains have driven the birds to new areas. We are hoping that they return soon. It seems like we go through this ever few years. To date we have never had a blown hunt. Some years are surely better than others, but we have always done pretty well. Good luck out there and let me know how you do.

Tim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim, heading to the Cache River area near Brinkley - did great there last season, going to try it again. Duck hunting is always a crapshoot in being at the right place at the right time - but looking forward to my trip none the less.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Odessa,

We always see a lot of waterfowl when we go through Brinkley on the way to Stuttgart. I hope you wear them out down there. Have a great hunt and go Pirates...... and Mountaineers too!!!

Tim

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Hope to get a good hunt in next weekend. Waterfowl lost out to uplands and big game again this year, but GuNR and I found a few birds in MT.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Again you post great pictures.

Doc

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Limited on ducks Saturday, Sunday, and this past Monday along with a handful of snows that passed too close. Lots of water here and the birds are scattered across the delta.
Species included mallards, gadwalls, redheads, canvasbacks,scaup, and green winged teal.

Two weekends left to go.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
We hunted last Saturday just south of the Bayou Meto in Arkansas. We had a great eaerly fight of Wood Ducks and were able to connect on several Mallards as well. Sunday was a different stroy. We had lots of hard rain mixed in with lightning and thunder. Heavy rain has surely scattered the birds all over the place. My guess is the season in Arkansas will be tough from here on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

Rip,

The swan in that picture is a Tundra.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My season is LOOONG gone, but it was a most excellent season! We raised more mallards for you boys to shoot than any time in the last 30 years or so. And goose numbers are still amazing! If you didn't have a good season this year in the central flyway, you need to seriously reconsider your options. It doesn't get better than this.
a picture of snows taken less than a half mile from my house...
[Linked Image]
and another of mallards from my doorstep
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunted last THUR-FRI-SAT (during the warm front) north of Brinkley AR - flooded fields around the Little Dixie - McClelland area. Fairly decent amount of ducks flying, mostly Mallards, Gadwall, with a few Blackheads mixed in occasionally. The shooting was all pass shooting, the ducks never committed to our decoys, but we (three gunners) nearly limited out on THUR (14 ducks) and had less gunning on FRI-SAT, but still everyone took some ducks; 3 - 4 each on FRI, two each on SAT morning. With the big front moving in on SAT, we knocked off at 1030 and began the 18 hour drive home at noon. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being from Charleston SC, we have a very large amount of waterfowl habitat, I think it falls in the arena of 4th largest on the east coast. However extremely poor management has jumped our birds out yet again due to a lack of food. We consistently have flightss in the 5000-10000 range and greater sit for a couple of days and then jump to Fl.

This is such a shame for our state as most of the habitat is land that has been donated by the previous owner to the state along with a waterfowl trust fund specifically to provide monies for managing waterfowl. If you look over the dike and into the impoundments and fields of the ACE basin, The Santee Coastal Reserve or South Island and the Yawkey Center you will see broken dikes, over grown fields full of phragmites which havn't even been burned. Its a travesty as the money never leaves the politicians pockets and historically these areas have been a base point for the migration.

Having been at it for 20 years I still manage to scratch a few limits of quality birds but its usually a hunt that lasts till 11 am or so.

Oh to live in S Tx.

Last edited by Strick9; 01/17/13.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This year is one of those TX years... I hunted twice in teal and never fired a round. We've had about zip for ducks since. Not nearly enough to waste the time hunting. Had some friends that just HAD to go... and never saw a thing on a couple of trips.

Of course if I made time to head to the coast, you can almost always shoot a few redheads and a pintail or two but sometimes you have to work hard for them too.

Just not really worth a flip this year.

But it needed a rest, last year was the best duck season I can ever remember seeing. You could stand in the middle of the river and kill your limit. Even on the last day of season you could do it that way. Even without decoys. We owe em some back this year.... A buddy that guided took over 1000 birds off one stretch of river last season...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sucked.

I don't see many ducks down here until the season has closed. It just isn't worth all the bother for this.
[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt Iowa since it's practically throwing distance across the river but as usual the season in these western zones closes before good concentrations of green heads arrive.Bout ready to hunt Nebraska high plains like I did years ago as the seasons don't close as early and waterfowl concentrations are better earlier and later.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Our worst year for birds in twenty years! The drought must have pushed the birds around us. Disappointing at best.

Grandpa's Wisdom:"Sunrise is God's time of the day, shortly thereafter all the [bleep]'s wake up"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had the second great year in a row in these parts. Next year promises to be another great one, condsidering the amount of snow that we have on the ground right now. Should fill up all of the potholes and make for some great nesting and stopover for both ducks and geese again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
It sucked.

I don't see many ducks down here until the season has closed. It just isn't worth all the bother for this.
[Linked Image]

What do you expect with a bright white shiney face and hands? Not to mention that looks to be a bluebird day.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
F
fzo Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
hey guys, i will go to the u.s. for a little hunt soon. can anyone tell me where to best hunt ducks?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.