Campfire Ranger
S
My 39A my dad gave me when I was a kid is a nail driver

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Since I started dabbling with 39A's and trying to learn as much as I can, one thing I've learned is that some are more accurate than others, and there is no conclusive evidence that either microgroove or traditonal Ballard rifled .22 barrels are more accurate than the other.

Sounds like you are fortunate in having a good one.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
Since I started dabbling with 39A's and trying to learn as much as I can, one thing I've learned is that some are more accurate than others, and there is no conclusive evidence that either microgroove or traditonal Ballard rifled .22 barrels are more accurate than the other.

Sounds like you are fortunate in having a good one.

Paul

I agree. I've found Marlin microgroove barrels no more accurate on average than other rifles within the same price range. They're normally less accurate than many higher dollar rifles, but I'd expect that considering the price difference.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The one I have has always been a tack driver - and I've heard others say the same about theres-

What your saying makes more sense to me than micro grooves being more accurate than other types or rifling

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Timbo
I agree. I've found Marlin microgroove barrels no more accurate on average than other rifles within the same price range. They're normally less accurate than many higher dollar rifles, but I'd expect that considering the price difference.

Not only the price difference, but inherent in the respective designs. Sort of apples to oranges to compare any lever action rifle to a high dollar .22 which is almost assuredly a bolt action with a precision barrel and chamber, or maybe a vintage single shot. Nobody is going to try to make a benchrest rifle out of a lever action.

That said, I am still trying to ferret out the realistic accuracy limits and parameters of lever actions, primarily in my recent interest in lever rifle silhouette. It's pretty elusive, since most reports are in the context of hunting. "My ___.22 is really accurate, can hit a squirrel in the head every time".

Paul

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not sure that micro-groove barrels are more accurate. I AM sure however that they are cheaper to produce than deeper rifling.

Marlin talked up less bullet deformation with the shallower grooves. But anyone who has ever run an old BRNO or even the new CZ 45Xs knows how accurate deep rifling on a 22 rimfire can be.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With the exception of Marlin's marketing department back in the day, I don't know that anybody says they are more accurate than conventional rifled barrels, but some say that they are less so. From what I can gather, neither is better than the other when it comes to .22s.

Larger chamberings are a different matter.

Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The four aspects that I find contributing most to the accuracy department are: 1. brand/batch of ammo, 2. chamber dimensions, 3. headspacing, and 4. scope parallax.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/13/12.

1Minute
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
5. The shooter.

.22 rifles are inherently easy to shoot and after a shooter settles in with one can usually produce good groups.

My experience with microgroove barrels is they seem to wipe out cleaner after a similar amount of shots making me think the smaller rifling retains less residue and fouling than the wider spaced ballard rifling.

Interestingly my old Remington 572 likes the cheaper CCI minimag ammo over the greentag, it isn't microgroove of course, but it seems to shoot the cheap stuff better. I have been shooting this rifle since childhood and quite often so I would know...

I have never really seen a bad batch of .22 ammo.

A rifle like what it likes....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The key to accuracy is consistent diameter of the bore all the way down the tube, and a precisely cut chamber. Get either of these wrong, and you�ll have a frustrating rifle barrel. Get both right, and even a well pitted bore can shoot lights out.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The key to accuracy is consistent diameter of the bore all the way down the tube, and a precisely cut chamber. Get either of these wrong, and you�ll have a frustrating rifle barrel. Get both right, and even a well pitted bore can shoot lights out.

+1

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.