OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
In euro cart?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend uses RWS for his 300 AI heavy gun in 1000 yd shooting. Says it is outstanding brass. He laments the scarcity of it here in US. If you can find some get it over Norma.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
RWS is really tough brass.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Sweden Norma is cheapest (as you might expect for a local product) so I have lots of it in many chamberings.

Norma is better than Remington or Winchester, but all three are a long way behind RWS in toughness, uniformity.

Lapua brass is great, and in my experience, second only to RWS.

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb
Norma is better than Remington or Winchester, but all three are a long way behind RWS in toughness, uniformity.

Agree, best brass I ever used.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
In my recent experience RWS brass in 7 x57 is excellent quality, neck thickness, concentricity , primer pockets all good, BUT be aware that it is somewhat robust in dimensions compared to Norma, and you will need a shell holder that will accomodate the slightly larger than standard SAMMI rims. I haven't checked internal volume against Norma, but that is a job I am scheduled to carry out, as I have a suspicion that it may be slightly less than 'normal' and hence leads to prematurely high pressures.

My chamber was cut with a minimum SAMMI spec reamer from PGT, and the RWS brass does not cycle well after resizing in a standard Redding FL die.

I have changed to Norma 7x57 brass and experienced none of those problems since.

Of course, this may only apply to the 7x57 cal brass, and/or to the headspace in a custom chamber set up.

Last edited by Tikka260; 12/01/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jpb

John

I agree except to change the last line.
Lapua brass is great, and in my experience, RWS is second IF you can find it in the U.S.A.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by jpb

John

I agree except to change the last line.
Lapua brass is great, and in my experience, RWS is second IF you can find it in the U.S.A.

Well, I'm not in the USA, but even here in Sweden RWS brass is more rare than an honest politician. frown

I have only seen loaded RWS ammo, and even then THAT is fairly uncommon. I'd love to make friends with an enthusiastic hunter who didn't reload and liked RWS ammo!

John

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jpb
Here in Sweden Norma is cheapest (as you might expect for a local product) so I have lots of it in many chamberings.

John

Exactly my experience.

RWS, Lapua, Norma ... the rest ...

S
S

RUAG is a Swiss technology company; out of it's subsidiaries, Ruag Ammotec manufactures ammunition for small arms. Their munitions are marketed under the brand names: RWS, Geco, Hirtenberger, Rottweil and Norma.

6 or one-half-dozen... what I would like to know is whether Ruag's acquisition of Norma in 2002 consolidated manufacturing processes; and, whether their various production plants have the same quality control standards.

For my various rifle chamberings, I would prefer Nammo Lapua (for price and availability), however they do not produce 300WM; I have also verified that while they were distributing 300WM, they were in fact produced by Norma.

RWS does produce 300WM and 308, however they do not produce 223; Norma produces all three, so it is my assumption that RWS and Norma follow Ruag Ammotec's production protocol, however raw material and quality control may not be even.

Does anybody have any information on this? If all things are equal, I would have to choose Norma; They supplied Lapua with 300WM casings and are owned by the same parent corporation as RWS.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,036
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.