Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In recent years these domstic mainstream manufactures have come up with very similar offerings. Are these style of actions just cost effective? When I first saw the Savage Edge / Axis i thought to myself well thats one Savage I wont own. Then one day at the range i was sighting in rifles for folks who needed it. A guy had a new Axis XP. It printed a sub 1 inch group with factory ammo at 100. So the ricle is accurate just not expensive. Ugly as all get out but to me a rifle is a tool it doesnt have to have a pretty stock or scroll work to take a deer. I havent shot the Ruger or T/C yet but Im betting from the posts here thise are shooters as well. Even money says the Remington will also shoot.

So did it all start with the Tikka? Is there a really good CNC machine out there that each manufacture purchased and added a recipe to a rigged action. Of the 4 the TC sticks out the most with its easy swap system. Any engineers or custome fabricators care to chime in on these very similar designs?

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Oh and when will Winchester / Browning add one to their lineup?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only one I might consider is the Stevens 200 which wasn't mentioned. I consider it to be a rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with with the Stevens 200 as being a good rifle. It's the original " cheap tupperware" Savage from the early 2000's. Crappy trigger but shot great. But I have to say, I handled one of the Americans in .308 the other day... Very light weight, would be a good truck gun.

Thank God for Mississippi!
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
No doubt the 200 is a good inexpensive rifle. I own one in a 30/06 and love it. I was referancing the newer Tikka looking action / barrel nut / accu triggerish rifles of recent times.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, it all started with the original Savage 110 from the late '50s.

All of the rifles you mentioned have used the Nick Brewer design as a template for these recent introductions.

Although I won't own one of them I'm glad these accurate, reliable rifles are out there for the many many hunters/shooters who are decidedly NOT rifle loonies.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They'll all kill game, but they won't give you that warm fuzzy feeling that nice guns do.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The new styles simply represent the commodification of the bolt action rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as who are and who are not rifle loonies has more to do with disposable income than "taste in rifles". I would love to have a custom Dakota in a high contrast piece of XXX English Walnut... Not gonna happen. Being a lefty and Medically retired from the military, my choices are pretty limited. That doesn't make me any less of a "rifle looney". Making a cheap rifle shoot and perform well above its means gives a certain level accomplishment in itself. Much like tubbing a Vega panel wagon vs. buying a new 'vette. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So in 40 years how many folks who bought those rifles are going to be handing them down to their children and grandchildren.. as Grandpa's hunting rifle...

no matter how good they shoot or are able to be bounced around.. they are still disposable...

I have to laugh at the guys I see at the range with a Leupold mounted on top.. so I ask them why did they put a good scope on a cheap rifle, instead of say a Tasco scope...

Then their response is " I don't want one of those cheap POS scopes..." but I guess a cheap plastic rifle is perfectly fine..

Makes no sense to me...

Myself, I'd prefer a cheap pawn shop Mauser or older Win, Ruger or Rem... for roughly the same price...or even occasionally the nice find of a Springfield or an Enfield...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hell, I bet people were saying the same thing when Remington introduced the 788 and 600 Mohawks back in the day. Those models shot very well, but were "cheap guns" by the standards of the day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am glad people who do not have a budget for a pretty rifle can buy something that will shoot nice and tight with factory ammo.

For someone who doesn't handload, isn't a full on gun nut, and hunts a few day's a year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there must be demand for the rifles or all the manufacturers would not be jumping on the band wagon to produce them. i love all the comments about remington being a dumb company and there marketing stupidity......."i cant believe they dropped the model seven stainless!" they dropped the model seven stainless because demand for the rifle was not there, or because they could not produce it cheap enough to be profitable, end of story. all these companys are very smart, and profitable, and that is why they are still in business.

guns to me are like legal crack
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just can't understand why someone wouldn't spend another dollar or two and get something worth having.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I absolutely agree that a quality rifle between your hands gives you something to appreciate during a slow day on the stand. I have a near perfect Sako 75 with a Vari-X III on top. It's a jewel in my opinion. But I still believe these cheap rifles have a place. Why thrash a nice rifle when a cheap one will suffice? These big money farmers with the high end hunting clubs put Leupy VX-L's on top of these beater rifles just for riding in the back of a rhino or ranger with no worries of thrashing a nice rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
your idea of worth and my idea of worth are 2 different things. my most prized rifle is a savage 110 30-06 my old man bought me for my first rifle. he paid 289 bucks for it......money he did not have. i shot my first buck with it, and it holds a lot of sentimental value. my boy will someday receive it from me with the stories it holds, you do not have to be a yuppy hunter in order to create memories as well as keepsakes. i would give anything to have my grandfathers 20 dollar buck knife, it was not expensive but it was his.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Seafire

I have to laugh at the guys I see at the range with a Leupold mounted on top.. so I ask them why did they put a good scope on a cheap rifle, instead of say a Tasco scope..

Got to laugh at this gem, try hitting something at last light with your 10k custom with a Tasco on top? If you can`t see it you can`t hit it... regardless of what your shooting

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do find it humorous that some think a rifle must come from royalty, cost a fortune, and be tough enough to survive the Alaskan wilderness while fighting Grizzly bears. There are people that need rifles like that I fully understand, but the vast majority of hunters and rifle loonies do not. I'm by no means bashing anyone's ideas, quite the opposite actually. Everyone sets their own bar as to what a 'trophy' rifle truly is. I respect Dakota owners just as much as I do Savage owners. We all shoot, we all love guns. Just be glad we still have that right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
I do find it humorous that some think a rifle must come from royalty, cost a fortune, and be tough enough to survive the Alaskan wilderness while fighting Grizzly bears. There are people that need rifles like that I fully understand, but the vast majority of hunters and rifle loonies do not. I'm by no means bashing anyone's ideas, quite the opposite actually. Everyone sets their own bar as to what a 'trophy' rifle truly is. I respect Dakota owners just as much as I do Savage owners. We all shoot, we all love guns. Just be glad we still have that right.

amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.