Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have noticed a few of these on the campfire and was wondering what these are all about. Could someone give me the particulars on a GAP rifle. Thanks!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
probably about the best company out there for a turn key rifle. some gunsmiths are better at metal work, some maybe bedding, others maybe fit and finish. but GAP seems to do all that well. a custom gun that feeds and functions right as well as has the details right is a thing of value. if you want a custom chamber with a neck diameter of your choice perhaps they might not be the best for something like that. you have to provide your own reamer if you want that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I think GAP, I think resale value, they hold value better than most with a cult like following. I've got a good one, I've had one not as good. All in all, they are a very safe bet.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yea it sucks when your new "built" rifle shows up and the thing don't feed worth a hoot. I have one that I guess I'm gonna have to send somewhere because the last round always hops out. I've tried to fix with no luck.

If I was starting over I'd likely have less way less rifles but get them from GAP. likely a 223AI a 260 and likely this new 6.5 mag deal all in non typicals. Then maybe one heavier type? Not that I could buy all those at once but do that over time.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My 243 fills the gap between my 223AI and 250AI.

If I could do it all over I'd have one heavy and one light 223AI and 308 and call it a day.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And a 300 Savage, because I have to have one 99.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Yea it sucks when your new "built" rifle shows up and the thing don't feed worth a hoot. I have one that I guess I'm gonna have to send somewhere because the last round always hops out. I've tried to fix with no luck.

If I was starting over I'd likely have less way less rifles but get them from GAP. likely a 223AI a 260 and likely this new 6.5 mag deal all in non typicals. Then maybe one heavier type? Not that I could buy all those at once but do that over time.

Why not send it back to GAP?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I could do it all over I'd have one heavy and one light 223AI and 308 and call it a day.

Boy Scott, something has really changed you....lol

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Why not send it back to GAP?

I'm kinda like shortactionsmoker, Did you send it back to GAP? If you did and they refused or couldn't fix it I wouldn't be happy. If you didn't work with them, I wouldn't think you have any complaints.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think he's talking about a GAP rifle.

He's talking about getting a rifle built by someone that doesn't do everything GAP does to ensure function.

Could be wrong? I dunno.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't think Kaleb was referring to a GAP rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gotcha..

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
probably about the best company out there for a turn key rifle.

You missed that one by a mile....... and I'm not going to take anything away From GAP as they do hold there resale value and do shoot well, but there are handful of builders that will never take a backseat to gaps accuracy, resale value or attention to detail!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I don't think Kaleb was referring to a GAP rifle.

Lol.....don't know what I said to make y'all think it was George's build?....but it wasn't. My point was to use him from the get go and not worry......didn't mean to imply I've used him before with bad results. Don't know how what I said could have been took that way but I'm not real smart so my wording could have been confusing ????

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
probably about the best company out there for a turn key rifle.

You missed that one by a mile....... and I'm not going to take anything away From GAP as they do hold there resale value and do shoot well, but there are handful of builders that will never take a backseat to gaps accuracy, resale value or attention to detail!

Stupid comment to say he missed it by a mile....

Yes other good builders
Yes some will offer what they seem to offer

Following?....name that handful.

Not many smiths that offer a rifle that shoots functions and feeds like you would expect......call me stupid(wouldn't be the first time) but I've had several rifles built by very popular smiths and some of them feed like crap!!! Had one built by a popular smith and sent it to another popular smith just to have the proper ackley headspace fixed......

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
By a mile I would assume you thought he was way off base?

So who would offer the same thing for lots less?....or offer lots more for same price???

When you say missed by a mile that should mean he is very wrong. So tell us how so and please give names to who does so much better for same price or equal work for less money? If your talking about someone that does same work for same price then he didn't miss by a mile!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just remember that nothing's perfect. I had a GAP that would not feed worth a darn.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Did he stand behind it or blame it on your ammo? Crap happens but how it is handled tells the tell. I was told by a smith here my 280ai problems was my brass....lol. Not meaning to vent but how a mistake is handled tells what kind of smith we are all dealing with

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 257 roberts, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.