CLICK HERE FOR THE BRIGHTEST DEAL OF THE SEASON ON LEICA and SUREFIRE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7259653 - 01/02/13 05:11 PM spring gun scope?
jmbn Offline

Loc: ca
I just bought a Gamo air rifle on sale for 99.00; the scope that came with it is a Chinese POS that can't even be adjusted to a good zero. Is there a good solution for a reasonable price?

I've got a drawerfull of old centerfire scopes but I've read that a spring gun will wipe them out. anyone have any experience with this? The old Weaver K-4's are pretty tough.

CI16728
#7259861 - 01/02/13 05:45 PM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: jmbn]
xposo Offline
Campfire Regular

All gun/scope combo's aren't worth it. It may seem like a good deal at the time, but, like you found out the scope can't handle the guns recoil. And just because the scope has a big name on it doesn't mean a thing. The manufacturer will have a cheap Chinese scope with their name on it to make it seem like it's a good deal. NOT. You will never see names like Hawke, Bushnell, etc. on them. I learned this same thing when I got into airgunning years ago.

Go ahead and try your scopes on it, can't hurt to try. You'll know right away if they can't hold POI after a few shots.

#7261467 - 01/03/13 06:16 AM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: xposo]
Timbo Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: xposo

Go ahead and try your scopes on it, can't hurt to try. You'll know right away if they can't hold POI after a few shots.

Actually it can hurt. High powered spring guns will often break regular rifle scopes or cheap "airgun" scopes. I had an RWS 350 break two Burris scopes after being told by Burris that the scopes were airgun rated. I gave up after the second one was replaced under warranty. I also saw a Redfield have the crosshairs kicked loose from an airgun.

The cheaper Spanish and Chinese airgun packages normally come with cheapo scopes. For high powered springs guns I've had good luck with Leupold and the higher priced Bushnell scopes like the Elites. Make sure you either buy one with an adjustable objective for best results.

#7262219 - 01/03/13 09:05 AM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: Timbo]
xposo Offline
Campfire Regular

I had a cheap old Bushnell, not AG rated hold POI on a RWS model 48, and NOT break. I put the same scope on 2 of my gas rammed guns and it held on both guns also. It's the luck of the draw, just because it's not rated for an airgun doesn't mean it won't work. You don't always have to spend money for a AG rated scope, try what you have first and see if it'll work before you go spending money, not unless you got money to throw away. Just my opinion and experience after years of shooting AG's.

#7269152 - 01/04/13 06:02 PM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: xposo]
lawnman Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Florida

#7269156 - 01/04/13 06:03 PM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: lawnman]
lawnman Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Florida
3x9x33 EFR to be exact

#7270203 - 01/04/13 10:30 PM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: jmbn]
redmist73 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Central Washington
For air rifles, even up to .25 cal, I like red dot sights. rm73

#7280661 - 01/07/13 11:43 AM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: xposo]
Timbo Offline
Campfire Regular

I had a cheap old Bushnell, not AG rated hold POI on a RWS model 48, and NOT break. I put the same scope on 2 of my gas rammed guns and it held on both guns also. It's the luck of the draw, just because it's not rated for an airgun doesn't mean it won't work. You don't always have to spend money for a AG rated scope, try what you have first and see if it'll work before you go spending money, not unless you got money to throw away. Just my opinion and experience after years of shooting AG's.

I think you got very lucky with that cheap old Bushnell. Call any scope manufacturer and ask if they warranty the scope for use on a spring powered airgun. I think you'll find the answer is a big "NO" other than scope built for magnum powered spring guns or scope already braced inside heavily like Leupolds. If the OP doesn't mind risking breaking the scope, I'd say go for it, but be prepared for a moving zero or broken scope.

Unless your mount has some form of stop or can really be cranked down like the one piece BKL's, you'll also find the mounts will slide in the dovetails. High powered spring guns can be a pain to scope properly.

#7280829 - 01/07/13 12:22 PM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: Timbo]
xposo Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Timbo

I think you got very lucky with that cheap old Bushnell. Call any scope manufacturer and ask if they warranty the scope for use on a spring powered airgun. I think you'll find the answer is a big "NO" other than scope built for magnum powered spring guns or scope already braced inside heavily like Leupolds. If the OP doesn't mind risking breaking the scope, I'd say go for it, but be prepared for a moving zero or broken scope.

Unless your mount has some form of stop or can really be cranked down like the one piece BKL's, you'll also find the mounts will slide in the dovetails. High powered spring guns can be a pain to scope properly.

Yeah, well, this isn't my first rodeo with magnum powered airguns and scopes. I've been shooting airguns for the past 9 years now and have learned that everything isn't written in stone as far as scopes being rated ONLY for airguns. I've had multiple AG rated scopes break/moving POI on light/med powered guns also. And yes, I know about rings/mounts slipping on tails and scope slip in rings/mounts. IF done right the first time,and not being cheap about scope/mount prices, you shouldn't have any problems the frist time around.(learned that lesson after my first AG combo, since then I only use BKL and Hawke Optics)That being said, you never know if something will or won't work if you never try it, right? That includes trying a non AG rated scope on an airgun. And in my case it did work, if it didn't no biggie, it wasn't made for AG use anyway.

#7284098 - 01/08/13 05:15 AM Re: spring gun scope? [Re: xposo]
Timbo Offline
Campfire Regular

I've been shooting quality spring guns for over 30 years starting with an FWB 134D back in the 70s, but the amount of time someone has done something doesn't mean they're right or wrong. My comments about the mount were actually for the OP, but I've had high dollar standard 22's rings move on the higher powered rifles like the RWS 52 and 350. It's not just an issue of how much money you spend. I just didn't want the OP to put decent money into a scope that wasn't designed for the forward recoil of spring guns and have it break on him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
269 registered (01Foreman400, 1234, 12344mag, 1100mag, 303savage, 37 invisible), 809 Guests and 279 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51092 Members
72 Forums
647299 Topics
9301395 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.