CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7269927 - 01/05/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Odessa]
wilkeshunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: North Carolina
Odessa,

We always see a lot of waterfowl when we go through Brinkley on the way to Stuttgart. I hope you wear them out down there. Have a great hunt and go Pirates...... and Mountaineers too!!!

Tim

RV 728 BP
#7272259 - 01/05/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
doctor_Encore Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: west of the Chesapeake Bay
Originally Posted By: mtmiller
Hope to get a good hunt in next weekend. Waterfowl lost out to uplands and big game again this year, but GuNR and I found a few birds in MT.

Again you post great pictures.

Doc

#7321242 - 01/16/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
RipSnort Offline
Campfire Ranger

mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

#7322375 - 01/16/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: RipSnort]
bull Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Mississippi
Limited on ducks Saturday, Sunday, and this past Monday along with a handful of snows that passed too close. Lots of water here and the birds are scattered across the delta.
Species included mallards, gadwalls, redheads, canvasbacks,scaup, and green winged teal.

Two weekends left to go.

#7323504 - 01/17/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: bull]
wilkeshunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: North Carolina
We hunted last Saturday just south of the Bayou Meto in Arkansas. We had a great eaerly fight of Wood Ducks and were able to connect on several Mallards as well. Sunday was a different stroy. We had lots of hard rain mixed in with lightning and thunder. Heavy rain has surely scattered the birds all over the place. My guess is the season in Arkansas will be tough from here on.

#7323657 - 01/17/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: RipSnort]
mtmiller Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: RipSnort
mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

Rip,

The swan in that picture is a Tundra.

#7323710 - 01/17/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
castnblast Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
My season is LOOONG gone, but it was a most excellent season! We raised more mallards for you boys to shoot than any time in the last 30 years or so. And goose numbers are still amazing! If you didn't have a good season this year in the central flyway, you need to seriously reconsider your options. It doesn't get better than this.
a picture of snows taken less than a half mile from my house...

and another of mallards from my doorstep

#7324299 - 01/17/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: castnblast]
Odessa Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Downeast NC
Hunted last THUR-FRI-SAT (during the warm front) north of Brinkley AR - flooded fields around the Little Dixie - McClelland area. Fairly decent amount of ducks flying, mostly Mallards, Gadwall, with a few Blackheads mixed in occasionally. The shooting was all pass shooting, the ducks never committed to our decoys, but we (three gunners) nearly limited out on THUR (14 ducks) and had less gunning on FRI-SAT, but still everyone took some ducks; 3 - 4 each on FRI, two each on SAT morning. With the big front moving in on SAT, we knocked off at 1030 and began the 18 hour drive home at noon. Odessa

#7324734 - 01/17/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Odessa]
Strick9 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Being from Charleston SC, we have a very large amount of waterfowl habitat, I think it falls in the arena of 4th largest on the east coast. However extremely poor management has jumped our birds out yet again due to a lack of food. We consistently have flightss in the 5000-10000 range and greater sit for a couple of days and then jump to Fl.

This is such a shame for our state as most of the habitat is land that has been donated by the previous owner to the state along with a waterfowl trust fund specifically to provide monies for managing waterfowl. If you look over the dike and into the impoundments and fields of the ACE basin, The Santee Coastal Reserve or South Island and the Yawkey Center you will see broken dikes, over grown fields full of phragmites which havn't even been burned. Its a travesty as the money never leaves the politicians pockets and historically these areas have been a base point for the migration.

Having been at it for 20 years I still manage to scratch a few limits of quality birds but its usually a hunt that lasts till 11 am or so.

Oh to live in S Tx.

Edited by Strick9 (01/17/13)
Genesis 9;2

#7350589 - 01/23/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Strick9]
rost495 Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: La Grange, TX
This year is one of those TX years... I hunted twice in teal and never fired a round. We've had about zip for ducks since. Not nearly enough to waste the time hunting. Had some friends that just HAD to go... and never saw a thing on a couple of trips.

Of course if I made time to head to the coast, you can almost always shoot a few redheads and a pintail or two but sometimes you have to work hard for them too.

Just not really worth a flip this year.

But it needed a rest, last year was the best duck season I can ever remember seeing. You could stand in the middle of the river and kill your limit. Even on the last day of season you could do it that way. Even without decoys. We owe em some back this year.... A buddy that guided took over 1000 birds off one stretch of river last season...
May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

#7390127 - 02/01/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: rost495]
prairie dog shooter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Texas
It sucked.

I don't see many ducks down here until the season has closed. It just isn't worth all the bother for this.

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775

#7390151 - 02/01/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: prairie dog shooter]
FlyboyFlem Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Nebraska
I hunt Iowa since it's practically throwing distance across the river but as usual the season in these western zones closes before good concentrations of green heads arrive.Bout ready to hunt Nebraska high plains like I did years ago as the seasons don't close as early and waterfowl concentrations are better earlier and later.

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

#7390312 - 02/01/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: FlyboyFlem]
KSQUACKER Offline

Loc: Kansas
Our worst year for birds in twenty years! The drought must have pushed the birds around us. Disappointing at best.

#7438150 - 02/13/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: KSQUACKER]
ranger1 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Eastern Montana
Had the second great year in a row in these parts. Next year promises to be another great one, condsidering the amount of snow that we have on the ground right now. Should fill up all of the potholes and make for some great nesting and stopover for both ducks and geese again.

#7456116 - 02/18/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: prairie dog shooter]
MontanaCreekHunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 99821/06810
Originally Posted By: prairie dog shooter
It sucked.

I don't see many ducks down here until the season has closed. It just isn't worth all the bother for this.

What do you expect with a bright white shiney face and hands? Not to mention that looks to be a bluebird day.

#7552037 - 03/16/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Phoneman]
fzo Offline

hey guys, i will go to the u.s. for a little hunt soon. can anyone tell me where to best hunt ducks?

#7553185 - 03/16/13 Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: fzo]
RipSnort Offline
Campfire Ranger

I believe that all duck seasons are currently closed and will not open until September 2013. There might still be some late season snow goose hunts open in tne northern tier of states and Canada.

Cheers, RS

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
153 registered (7mmMagnum, 12344mag, 66niteowl, 37L1, 25classic, 1899sav, 16 invisible), 448 Guests and 240 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,503 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,905 Topics
10,011,970 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.