Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#7265635 - 01/03/13 08:47 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Doctor_Encore]
ScottM Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Idaho
"Your Rem 870 has seen some duck seasons."

Doc

It has seen a few. I was reflecting the other day that although I now own several "better" shotguns, this one remains the most lethal.

Floated the river last Saturday after the big water froze. I can't remember having a better shoot. Flocks of hundreds of mallards coming up around many river bends. Float takes about two hours. After thirty minutes we had our limits of beautiful late season drake mallards. After a day like that I cleaned up and organized my steel shot, cleaned and oiled the 870, and stowed the waders. Now for devil birds!

#7265637 - 01/03/13 08:47 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
shooten Offline

Pretty good late season in the Imperial Valley in Southern California. Not too many green heads but lots of Gads, teal, and the omnipresent spoonies.

#7265810 - 01/03/13 10:02 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Odessa]
wilkeshunter Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Odessa
Spent three days on Currituck Sound the week before Christmas - some ducks but pretty spotty (shot three ducks in three days - a few parties got into them better and got two or three each). Heading to Arkansas in ten days for a three day hunt in timber and flooded fields - hope to get in a little more gunning there.

Hey Odessa,

Where in Arkansas are you going? I am heading to the Bayou Meto area south of Stuttgart next week. I spoke with a buddy out there today and he said that there is a lot of water out there and it is scattering the ducks. They have had great season until the last couple weeks. The recent rains have driven the birds to new areas. We are hoping that they return soon. It seems like we go through this ever few years. To date we have never had a blown hunt. Some years are surely better than others, but we have always done pretty well. Good luck out there and let me know how you do.

Tim

#7269299 - 01/04/13 06:30 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: wilkeshunter]
Odessa Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Downeast NC
Tim, heading to the Cache River area near Brinkley - did great there last season, going to try it again. Duck hunting is always a crapshoot in being at the right place at the right time - but looking forward to my trip none the less.

#7269927 - 01/04/13 08:30 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: Odessa]
wilkeshunter Offline
Campfire Ranger

Odessa,

We always see a lot of waterfowl when we go through Brinkley on the way to Stuttgart. I hope you wear them out down there. Have a great hunt and go Pirates...... and Mountaineers too!!!

Tim

#7272259 - 01/05/13 02:30 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
Doctor_Encore Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: west of the Chesapeake Bay
Originally Posted By: mtmiller
Hope to get a good hunt in next weekend. Waterfowl lost out to uplands and big game again this year, but GuNR and I found a few birds in MT.

Again you post great pictures.

Doc

#7321242 - 01/16/13 10:57 AM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: mtmiller]
RipSnort Offline
Campfire Ranger

mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

#7322375 - 01/16/13 03:24 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: RipSnort]
bull Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Mississippi
Limited on ducks Saturday, Sunday, and this past Monday along with a handful of snows that passed too close. Lots of water here and the birds are scattered across the delta.
Species included mallards, gadwalls, redheads, canvasbacks,scaup, and green winged teal.

Two weekends left to go.

#7323504 - 01/16/13 07:22 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: bull]
wilkeshunter Offline
Campfire Ranger

We hunted last Saturday just south of the Bayou Meto in Arkansas. We had a great eaerly fight of Wood Ducks and were able to connect on several Mallards as well. Sunday was a different stroy. We had lots of hard rain mixed in with lightning and thunder. Heavy rain has surely scattered the birds all over the place. My guess is the season in Arkansas will be tough from here on.

#7323657 - 01/16/13 07:53 PM Re: How is your duck season going ??? [Re: RipSnort]
mtmiller Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: RipSnort
mtmiller,

What species of swan is that pictured in the third photo that you posted? I saw my first wild swan the other day and, after consulting the reference book "Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America", I want to say it was a trumpeter swan but can not be certain.

Thanks, RS

Rip,

The swan in that picture is a Tundra.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
858 registered (175rltw, 1100mag, 1flier, 12savage, 10ring1, 1911a1, 103 invisible), 1963 Guests and 360 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50830 Members
72 Forums
642007 Topics
9218653 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 0„8 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.