Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#7270584 - 01/05/13 05:56 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: Steelhead]
natman Offline
Campfire Regular

I guess it depends on how bad your eyes are. If you can't see clearly enough with your distance prescription to identify the bird, then perhaps it's time to consider giving up shooting because you won't be able to identify what's in the background either.

If the problem is that you can see the bird with your distance prescription, but you can't see the sights with it, that's a common problem. I solved it with a set of fiber optic open sights. I don't hunt with open sights any more with a rifle, but I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey inside 50 yards with a shotgun.

Edited by natman (01/05/13 05:57 AM)

#7270891 - 01/05/13 07:52 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: natman]
knifeshark Offline

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
As I got older, the fiber optic sight got a little more fuzzy than I liked , so I bought a Nikon 2 x 7 and got some see thru rings , all in camo for my Ithaca turkey slayer. Problem solved. I took a bird last year at 50 yds. I use extended range 3 in. shells , with an .860 ported choke. Big medicine for hung up toms. Love my gun/scope combo.

Edited by knifeshark (01/05/13 07:58 AM)

#7272873 - 01/05/13 05:05 PM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: natman]
ldholton Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: lawrence county MO
Originally Posted By: natman
I guess it depends on how bad your eyes are. If you can't see clearly enough with your distance prescription to identify the bird, then perhaps it's time to consider giving up shooting because you won't be able to identify what's in the background either.

If the problem is that you can see the bird with your distance prescription, but you can't see the sights with it, that's a common problem. I solved it with a set of fiber optic open sights. I don't hunt with open sights any more with a rifle, but I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey inside 50 yards with a shotgun.
you have not hunted in turkey coutry have you ? take a pile of 6-8 gobblers and use your bead to help pick out the best one and pick an open shot so as you dont smak more than one

Edited by ldholton (01/05/13 05:09 PM)

#7273744 - 01/05/13 07:35 PM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: ldholton]
taz4570 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado
I've considered the Burris Fastfire II and a scope, but I've had such success with the fiber optic "rifle" style sights that I've stuck with them on both of my turkey shotguns. I'll reconsider that if my eyesight degrades.

A hunting partner uses the red dot style sight and loves it. I've seen his patterns and birds and agree.

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

#7275688 - 01/06/13 09:44 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: ldholton]
natman Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: ldholton

you have not hunted in turkey coutry have you ? take a pile of 6-8 gobblers and use your bead to help pick out the best one and pick an open shot so as you dont smak more than one

I've already said what you should do if you can't see well enough to hunt. You shouldn't be doing your scouting with the scope mounted on your gun.

#7278447 - 01/06/13 07:24 PM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: natman]
BlueK9 Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: ldholton

I've already said what you should do if you can't see well enough to hunt. You shouldn't be doing your scouting with the scope mounted on your gun.

There's a big difference in what he stated here and a scope as bins to "scout."

#7284190 - 01/08/13 05:49 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: BlueK9]
Sakoluvr Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Where the wild things are.
I like a red dot, and put a speed bead on my Benelli SBE. They sit extremely low, weigh next to nothing and because of their mount, they do not interfere with carrying your gun.

Whether you use a scope or some kind of a red dot, you can't beat the versatility of being able to make adjustments to your shot pattern to fully utilize the densest part of the pattern.

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

#7286270 - 01/08/13 02:41 PM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: BlueK9]
Sand_Man Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Originally Posted By: BlueK9
I prefer red dots on turkey rigs. I don't find magnification necessary or desirable for shots to 40-50yds. Red dots allow me to easily keep both eyes open while shooting. They are also more forgiving than either beads or scopes when it come to shooting form. Turkey often reveal themselves from unanticipated directions and angles, especially if they have to negotiate cover while coming. As a result, it seems like I kill at least one bird a year while I'm all twisted-up. Before I went to dots, I found it tough to get the sight picture in a scope or get my head down enough for the bead.

This. Been very happy with my Burris FF II. When I started shooting TSS and these tight patterns, I quickly learned I couldn't use a bead or open sights. I knew I had to go to a red dot or scope. I didn't like the scope as sometimes when hunting you can't get in a position to get your head all the way down on the gun and the turkey in the scope. With the red dot, once it's set you just find the dot and squeeze. Your head doesn't have to be all the way down on the gun and can use it with both eyes open. I really like the versitilty of mine.

#7289275 - 01/09/13 08:31 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: Sakoluvr]
Steelhead Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Retired
Ever shot one flying with a scope?

#7289485 - 01/09/13 09:17 AM Re: Scopes on turkey guns [Re: Steelhead]
Sand_Man Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Originally Posted By: Steelhead
Ever shot one flying with a scope?

I have with my red dot.....actully three.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
221 registered (257heaven, 1flier, 204guy, 1_deuce, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 859 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50836 Members
72 Forums
642381 Topics
9224844 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3
Visit ARIZONA BACKCOUNTRY GUIDE SERVICES!

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.