Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
lawnman,

So far not sure I got a 4x4 and the tow package so it has the receiver hitch already. I have been slacking on my outdoor activities lately and this was the first purchase to start me back getting out more. My old Xterra was fine but just lacking in a few areas. I want to get a flats boat or something to get on the water and some sort of small teardrop camper.

As for a topper I will see, I think is a good idea especially with some roof rack type of setup for long items etc.

It has been awhile since I have had a truck and any and all ideas for adding some functionality for the outdoors would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That back up camera is something I didn't think much about until I got it!! Man do you start to rely on it. Just today I got out and had to wipe some road salt off it. I didn't need it, but if I did, I wanted to be able to use it! Neat deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats really a nice looking pickup ... but how do you put a couple of bear hounds up front and a dead elk in the back?? laugh

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by redmtn
Have the 2012 4 cyl, did the yellow wire mod to give me trac in 4 wheel low.

[Linked Image]

And the "yellow wire mod" would be?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the crew cab Tacoma is about the most sensible vehicle on the market today.

Travis

If you have kids. If not, the access cab with a long bed makes sense, since you can sleep in the back. I think you can get the crew with a 6ft bed now.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For some reason Toyota disables Trac when in 4 low so you end up with open differentials, most likely so they can sell more of their top end off road packages that have a Atrac toggle switch. By disconnecting the second yellow wire down from the top of the ECU you are able to keep Trac mode on whether in high or 4 low. Cheap but effective method of getting posi trac when you most likely be needing it the most.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

Explains it much better than I can.

http://www.ct4wd.com/forum/showthre...quot-yellow-wire-mod-quot-or-L4-TRAC-mod

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've got it's older brother. [Linked Image]

Actually, your's is the younger older brother; the one that looks like a bee stung it and it swol up grin Mine's the older, 2006, older brother.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

Explains it much better than I can.

http://www.ct4wd.com/forum/showthre...quot-yellow-wire-mod-quot-or-L4-TRAC-mod

DOOOOD! That is bad to the bone! When I first read the post I said, "Either you have a locker/LSD or you don't". Who'da thunk ABS could do the same thing as an LSD setup?

Even with a rear factory locker it might be worth doing 'cause a front locker is usually not a good idea on the front diff with IFS. Maybe an ARB if you can turn it on and off.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife got one last month...

[Linked Image]

I specifically did not want the hood scoop.

I find it a bit hard to get into, and a bit weird to drive. But she loves it.

Brian

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I got one too......

Funny thing, the black shell that sits on my Tacoma is on its 3rd truck. I keep buy black so it will match. First an access cab 4banger, than a access cab 6cyl and now the crew cab.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking family rig there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far,so good.
My 2012..
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on buying a new truck, but why would you buy a Japanese truck when you could have an American diesel truck for around the same money?

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Congratulations on buying a new truck, but why would you buy a Japanese truck when you could have an American diesel truck for around the same money?

1) Tired of supporting union labor (GM, Ford)
2) Tired of supporting govt. owned company (GM)
3) Foreign owned and made in Mexico (Dodge)
4) Diesel won't last much longer than a gas Toyota
5) Diesel gets worse mileage
6) Diesel is .80 more per gallon
7) You haven't bought a diesel in 10 yrs (prices $45k +)

sure the op can defend himself, but there's a few reasons

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Nice choice. I have an 08 double cab. Its a nice truck and the maintanence is fairly easy. I wish I would have gottent the 6' bed instead of the 5' bed but I have been able to work around it. Plus I was shopping for used and there wasnt any long bed trucks avaliable so I guess beggers cant be choosers. Mine is just about to roll over 60k and I havnt had anything that even looked like a problem so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will support US companies over Jap companies anyday. Diesels are going 400,00-1,000,000 miles. I get 24 mpg out of a Ford F-350 with an auto trans. I haven't bought a diesel in 10 years and don't plan to buy another one for at least that long.

Diesel fuel is currently more expensive that it should be. In the future we will be making biodiesel and the cost will come down.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I will support US companies over Jap companies anyday. Diesels are going 400,00-1,000,000 miles. I get 24 mpg out of a Ford F-350 with an auto trans. I haven't bought a diesel in 10 years and don't plan to buy another one for at least that long.

Diesel fuel is currently more expensive that it should be. In the future we will be making biodiesel and the cost will come down

Are you done trying to pee on everyone's parade and telling us what a great American you are??? I don't remember the poster asking for opinions on what he should buy. He was merely showing off his truck.

Oh, and, show of hands, how many guys here get 24 mpg out of a dually?? (And I'm not talking about going downhill).

How's your dually in the mud?? I'm sure it's a real treat in a parking garage as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those double cabs are nice, congrats!

Eric

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the support guys!

My reason was this. The only US made truck I would consider was a Ford. I refuse to support them worthless freeloading auto companies like GM and Dodge.

I looked at Ford and in trying to find a truck I would like it always ended up at $35K plus and closer to 40. I do not need a full size truck for that amount of money and surely was not going to pay the premium for a Diesel.

The Toyota is built in TX so to me it is US made as it supports the workers of the great state of TX and not some union stronghold in the midwest.

If some profit goes back to Japan they are an ally and seem to build a far better product than most.

You show me a full size 4x4 crew cab diesel from Ford at $30k and I will be on it like stink on a monkey.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice.Congrats on your new yota

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.