Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If i'm not mistaken Cap. CVA used Douglas barrels on one of their sidelocks.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
yep the cva mountain rifles in the early years used douglas.

TC used sharron? barrels and they had to stop in a hurry due to some explosion issues with those barrels.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bigblock455
you fondle this guy and dont even know his name? Gosh, like a government official visiting a columbian whore house.

Bigblock,

Swampy knows who he is.

Doc

billg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cap'n--Thanks for the input--I'm not familiar with you, but after seeing your handiwork on the sqirrel rifle-I would bet you know what you're talking about. When you say TC has a tolerance of .010 in their barrels--I would assume you mean from barrel to barrel and not within the same barrel. Also, my situation was a little more than a feeling, I could also hear the problem. The bullet would start getting loose at the same spot in my barrel every time, once I got there I would slow the ram rod down significantly and could hear/feel the bullet let go of the inside of the barrel and hear it hit the breech plug--after the free-fall. I also pushed the bullet in from the breech to see how far it would go up the barrel before it wedged--the point was identical to the release point coming down.Bottom line, I have zero confidence that I could ever get a good firm, repeatable, safe seating on the powder.I could probably make it work with a PB since the plastic skirt makes it more forgiving of in-barrel variances, but I'm not interested in doing that. At any rate, you've forgotten more than I'll ever know about ML's and I appreciate your comments.--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

i dont know about Sharon and TC . but yes some early CVA mountain rifles used Douglas and others .
However in recent years , there has been some debate as to if CVA ever used Douglas, as the paper work from what I have read isn�t there showing it.
But again CVA was an importer/ retailer so they have always had someone else assemble the rifles or box their kits .

As I understand it , the problem was pretty much industry wide back then . Extruding was simply how barrel blanks were formed . Now they are drawn which makes for a much better and stronger barrel .

Yes Bill that would be .010 plus or minus ,between bores not within a bore .
I don�t know what TC standard is for internal bore tolerances .

But
Like you , I have never cared for barrels that had lose spots or tight spots , if that�s the way the stick floats/ one wants to look at it . But again those areas can happen from many diffrent things
Doc White talked about rifle bore restriction some . he even as i recall calimed that having a bore tighter at the muzzle end , made for a more accurate barrel.
Im not saying thats what you have. . Regardless of the reasoning, if your uncomfortable with the situation then it should be inspected and fixed .

Last edited by captchee; 01/06/13.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MIM process for barrel production is interesting. That must be how they sell them so cheap. Of course the fact the they receive money from the spainish government helps too. I googled this Wakeman guy and he is interesting. I'll have to read up on him. Thanks!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

TC used sharron? barrels and they had to stop in a hurry due to some explosion issues with those barrels.

Great fiction, you should write some novels.....

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Great fiction, you should write some novels.....

Mykeal is much more knowledgeable than you'll ever be. 4th post.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378346

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hawken rifles were tight at the muzzle, almost like a funnel. Made loading hard, but they claimed it made the shots more accurate. Who knows for sure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
swampy, your reloading room is lonely
[Linked Image]

Brings an all new meaning to the phrase, "Coming out of the closet"

Last edited by bigblock455; 01/06/13.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hawken rifles were tight at the muzzle, almost like a funnel. Made loading hard, but they claimed it made the shots more accurate. Who knows for sure.

i would say that if they were , it would have to have been late Hawkins rifles , produced under the Hawkins name after they sold the shop .
i say that because the rifling platform they had , seems to me to have been incapable of drawing cut rifling through a tapered bore .
It is often recorded that Hawkens rifles carried a tapered barrel . But that�s the profile of the outside not the bore
Now I could be wrong but the taper bore /squeeze bore didn�t come about until the advent of forged rifling
Now I have heard of later bench rifles with a tapered bore but normally that was only .0001-2 at the muzzle area .

could you PM me with refrance to Hawkins rifles and the taperd bore big block . i would engoy reading about that

I would seriously doubt that Adesa is using a MIM process for barrel manufacturing .
If they were , their parts would have much higher tolerances. Which swampman , you are saying they don�t
But again if we are to complain about what Adesa does , then why not complain about what S&W does ???
Or Remington for that mater .

The fact simply is that if you have a modern gun , that gun will most likely have MIM parts . doesn�t mater the maker .
In fact many older guns have early MIM type parts .
I remember back in the early 80�s when many manufactures started selling injection cast parts .
Specifically breech plugs . OHHH how the cry went out about how unsafe they were .
Yet today , its not uncommon to find a very large selection of injection cast plugs .
This cry about MIM is IMO nothing more then the old cry about cast vs. forged parts
In fact I would seriously doubt that for those who buy complete finished replacement parts, you would know if the part was originally injected molded or not unless someone told you .

The difference you are talking about is that today MIM also includes binders vs. the old complete metal melt . Its also a completely different process that�s primarily used for making parts that would other wise have a very high production cost OR a lot of milling cost . Again production cost . That�s where the MIM production comes in and frankly where it shines
Despite what you may think , barrel making is not such an area . Yes it takes time but what�s been the major cost is in the rifling of the barrel . But today as more and more barrel makers switch to the button rifling process , which now takes around 60 seconds to rifle a bore vs. cut rifling which even with modern machinery still takes around an hour . By hand , days .
I would bet that Adesa uses the button rifling process as its been accepted in Europe for some time, where we have held onto the cut rifling

I do think the day will come when modern MIM enters the rifle barrel market .
Some suggest that its already in the pistol barrel market ,. But frankly you�re the first I have heard suggest that someone is already using MIM to make rifle barrels.

Last edited by captchee; 01/07/13.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I googled this Wakeman guy and he is interesting. I'll have to read up on him. Thanks

LMAO seriously . you just gooled him did ya .
thats a new ploy since you been refering to him on near every post for years

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=127161.15;wap2

http://64.120.52.50/forums/index.php?topic=165580.45;wap2

here is a good one from back in 2010

and who can forget 2005

Last edited by captchee; 01/07/13.

[Linked Image]
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The MIM process for barrel production is interesting.

Where are you getting that?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Now I know who swamp is, and it all makes sense now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said Wakeman sems to know what he's talking about. I've been doing some reading of his sites today. I may give him a call. Public safety is important to all of us.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can show you an old post that Wakeman claims he's shot hundreds of Powerbelts, and liked them. Now he calls them junk.

He's a whore open to the highest bidder.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
This one mauser?
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I forgot. It wasn't hundreds. He shot thousands of them.

He must have liked them. That was before BPI owned them, but now that BPI owns then they're junk.

Just like Toby saying round balls don't work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
LMAO NICE big block , i wonder if he will show up and threaten to sue you for copy write for quoting him as he did me back when I quoted him
Remembered how he got all fired up because I sent a letter to Pedersoli and David�s son personally replied with a volume long letter of information contradicting most everything in the quote

never mind Mauser_Hunter
That , Toby shot Rb for years and wrong many articles on his harvests with RB .
But that�s only part of it Mauser Hunter . At one time there was a large group of us here . Both traditional and modern shooters that came from an another the Huntamerica forum . We remember Wakeman real well .
that�s been along time ago but were you not on that forum at that time with myself , black hart and a few others big block

For those new here who may not understand .
swampman is renoun for this. as has been shown, he knows full well who wakeman is and thats been show . but lets jump back / flash back to 2011
even if you dont read the whole thread . at least read the first 4-5 pages .
https://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5357364/1

LMAO anyone else remember RW artical on how bad the Rem 700 was LOL , that was a good thread as well and started out with swampan linking to RW web page LOL

Last edited by captchee; 01/08/13.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
He's a whore open to the highest bidder.

Extremely likely

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
378 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.