Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7279970 - 01/07/13 08:35 AM Re: Found the perfect .22 Hornet factory load, now what? [Re: castnblast]
RockyRaab Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Ogden, Utah
The contention that WW factory ammo is loaded with W296 is not true. I have it on reliable authority that WW Hornet ammo is loaded with a non-canister grade of their long-discontinued W680. The closest you can get with a canister-grade powder is either Accurate 1680 (the name is no coincidence) or LilGun, depending on the lot-lot variation of either.

It is absolutely impossible to determine powder type by visual examination - ESPECIALLY with fine-grained spherical powders.

On Hornet primers - I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with such a small case, you must either start the bullet off very gently, or very forcibly. A mild primer allows the bullet to stay locked in place under crimp pressure until the powder charge fully ignites; a vigorous primer allows the bullet to leave the case but hesitate at the rifling start long enough to achieve the same thing. A primer in between can cause poor results because it may sometimes unseat the bullet and sometimes not - and never the same way or amount twice.

That's my evolving theory, at any rate.

#7280215 - 01/07/13 09:35 AM Re: Found the perfect .22 Hornet factory load, now what? [Re: castnblast]
Steve Redgwell Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: New Lowell, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: castnblast
...I went to my local gun store, bought new Winchester cases, two bags of the Win 46 gr. HP bullets, & win small rifle primers. I can match seating depth with the factory loads easy enough.

Any suggestions for powder & charge for factory duplication load? I do have W 296 on hand (and Lil gun and A1680, and H4227).

I had a 22 Hornet that wouldn't shoot too well either. I ended up trading it away for another Hornet. Do you have any 2400 on your bench? If not, perhaps you know someone that shoots handgun and might have some for you to try. You don't need much to make up 15-20 cartridges. The max 45 gr. load Alliant lists is 9.0 grains - OAL 1.723 inches.

Ctg/rifle books, ebooks, more!

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

#7283344 - 01/07/13 08:12 PM Re: Found the perfect .22 Hornet factory load, now what? [Re: Steve Redgwell]
RugerHornet Offline

am a newbee here, but when talking bout hornets, it hard for me to not pipe in, my ruger hornet, like the others,(rugers) had a "deep throat" it would peg the winc 46 gr hp, making nice flowers,(cover with a quarter or 50 cent piece) but with the rem 45gr, would go everywhere, thats when i took an empty, pushed a bullet into it with fingers, and gently closed it in the chamber pushing the bullet into the case,(i did that 10 times to get a good average) to load with no freebore, i would not have been able to use the rotary clip, i had my smith set the chamber back, "k"ed it and he honed the rough edges off the trigger which put it about 2# , can now cover with a dime smile
also there is a note in the Speer #14 Manual " for this manual we used cci small pistol primers instead of rifle primers, this change allowed higher velocities at safe pressures, and greatly reduced the extreme variation of pressure that limited the number of propellents we showed in previous books. Do not use these loads with small rifle primers as excessive pressure will result. ..."
anyway, you may have to load to your rifles coal, sorry for being so long winded, but not much of a game on the tv.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
172 registered (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 35, 4ager, 375PigGuy, 270wsmnutt, 15 invisible), 696 Guests and 320 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50846 Members
72 Forums
642535 Topics
9227644 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.