Hop To
Page 18 of 144 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 143 144
VinceM Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by VinceM
Here is an EDC folder Rick mailed out today for an order. It's the Western pattern from Bose.Nice carbon fiber,and "N.Y.K. Co." shield.
[Linked Image]

I like that pattern a lot. Details on blade/handle length?

It is 4.25" closed Blade is 3-1/8" and has 3" of cutting edge Open it is 7-3/8"

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here is an EDC folder Rick mailed out today for an order. It's the Western pattern from Bose.Nice carbon fiber,and "N.Y.K. Co." shield.
[Linked Image]

I like that pattern a lot. Details on blade/handle length?

It is 4.25" closed Blade is 3-1/8" and has 3" of cutting edge Open it is 7-3/8"

Just about perfection (IMHO). VERY nice! Thanks Vince.

VinceM Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This knife has me friggin' freakin' out! Maybe the best slipjoint folder I've ever had. I am partial to the bolsterless "shadow" pattern.

This knife is awesome. This is as good as it gets,IMHO.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/Menefee%203-8-2011/038-4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/VCM3/Menefee%203-8-2011/040-3.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take it !!!!!!!!!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great looking knife Vince. Really nice!!

IC B2

VinceM Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Great looking knife Vince. Really nice!!

Thanks,yeah I was tickled with this one

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I agree with that being one super nice folder.
Could be fodder for a group buy????????
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice one Vince, I like it a lot. Great work Rick. You are a master. I really like the blade on that one.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
rick menefee certainly gives meaning to "custom knife". this carbon fiber is so shiek & graceful that it begs to be shown off.--cranky72

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep going back and forth on getting a folder from Rick. But I know I'll just Loose it like I have every other folder I have ever had.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Yeah, I agree with that being one super nice folder.
Could be fodder for a group buy????????
Tim
I would get hanged

Last edited by rickmenefee; 10/19/12.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'll take that as a yes ...... I'm in

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DuckScarer

grin grin grin

I do believe I like that pattern better than any I've seen.

Question from the cheap seats (someone who knows next to nothing about folding knives) for anyone who knows...is it more complicated to make a slipjoint or a liner lock?

VinceM Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The way a slipjoint is built,in the end it is "peened" together (yep bang the pins with a hammer). It could be disassembled for adjustment,but most makers just would build another knife,rather wrecking it,disassembling it,for an adjustment.

The spring has to be a certain Rc ,otherwise there will be friction issues in the pivot,where the blade tang & spring meet.

The springy part of the spring is mainly determined by the spring section from the middle pin to the tang,how thick it is.
Thin,less spring,thicker,more spring.

So the action,"walk n talk" ,as they say,has a few factors.

I know many knifemakers who will not trouble themselves building slipjoiints.
Then I know one who makes them up at reasonable prices,yes,not on the level of fit & finish as Rick's folders,but sometimes they present a challenge to sell them,because they have one or two issues,imperfections one could call them.
I'd say a slipjoint is way harder to build than a liner lock,if I were asked.

The CF knife I just recieved,the spring tension is a little ,little bit less than I'd prefer,but the action is spot on. I know what it took to make it,so I will not even hesitate to say,"it's a keeper"

As the saying goes,"be careful for what you wish for" , kindof applies here.... Harder snapping slipjoints,well,they run the risk of spring failure,or "gauling" (that is where the blade tang could scratch the spring,causing a less than smooth pivot action)
In reality,the way that Rick has this folder laid out,for EDC,opening & closing frequently,he has it perfect.

Rick has listened to me talk about carrying custom slipjoints on a daily basis,and I think he is so smart about building these,that he made it this way on purpose because he knows how I carry & use a slipjoint. It would not surprise me if it were so. Yes I know when he reads this he'll laugh,but point being,no BS Rick Menefee is a genius knifemaker , right now,making many types & styles of fixed & folding knives & I am proud to call a friend.He has opened my eyes to aspects of custom knives I never would have known.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Menefee was out showing off yesterday. Now if the little guy will do his part, it will get bloody.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Badley; 10/20/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DuckScarer

grin grin grin

I do believe I like that pattern better than any I've seen.

Question from the cheap seats (someone who knows next to nothing about folding knives) for anyone who knows...is it more complicated to make a slipjoint or a liner lock?
Slipjoints are the hardest to make of any folding knives.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting and thanks for the answers Rick and Vince. It appeared to my untrained eye that the slipjoint design would be tougher to get right....especially considering the unknown individual use/preference factors mentioned.

I own 1 custom folding knife and carry it daily. I don't care much for the "tactical" look of so many folding knifes...the style/pattern of a slipjoint like the one pictured really appeals to me.......but I do like the ability to open one with 1 hand while I'm working on something or the other hand is in the middle of holding something.... I have no real need (or argument against) a lock but the general "tactical" look turns me away from them and towards slipjoints.

Considering the walk/talk of a well designed slipjoint, I guess they can not be made to open with one hand? confused

Thanks again,

Jay

VinceM Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting and thanks for the answers Rick and Vince. It appeared to my untrained eye that the slipjoint design would be tougher to get right....especially considering the unknown individual use/preference factors mentioned.

I own 1 custom folding knife and carry it daily. I don't care much for the "tactical" look of so many folding knifes...the style/pattern of a slipjoint like the one pictured really appeals to me.......but I do like the ability to open one with 1 hand while I'm working on something or the other hand is in the middle of holding something.... I have no real need (or argument against) a lock but the general "tactical" look turns me away from them and towards slipjoints.

Considering the walk/talk of a well designed slipjoint, I guess they can not be made to open with one hand? confused

Thanks again,

Jay

Spyderco UK Pen knife is a one hand opener slipjoint,I do believe. My guess is Benchmade has one too.
One custom maker I know of that makes one is Michael Vagnino,he calls it a zip slip.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Badley
I keep going back and forth on getting a folder from Rick. But I know I'll just Loose it like I have every other folder I have ever had.

I really shouldn't say this (the kiss of death) but I haven't lost a folder or slipjoint in 20 years. Ohhhhhh, crap I said it.

My CRK Sebenza with the pocket clip is pretty tough to loose and even my Gene Wiseman slim & trim is still in hand.

Think positive, order one of those beauties from Rick or Vince!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny thing about losing pocket knives, I haven't lost one my entire life until a few years ago. The first one to go? A Menefee folder right into the the Gulf of Mexico. Then I lost another one a few months ago, and it was a Dowell folder! Oh well, I figure I'm caught up now.

Go ahead and get the knife. Don't be afraid of losing it. Carry that bad boy and use it.

Page 18 of 144 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 143 144

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,298
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.