Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Eremicus
There is huge difference between old bulls and the younger ones. I personally know several guys that have killed young bulls close enough to roads to load them whole. I know no one who has done it on public land with a 4 yr. old plus bull. E

E, Others I know an myself hunt public land have consistently taken 3-5 year old bulls. This is another of your "if it's not possible for me then it's not possible for ANYBODY" post. Get real man, I feel I see more mature animals during season than I do scouting but, we/I hunt nothing but escape routes that Joe 4 Wheeler are going to push animals to me. When hunting mature elk you can't be oblivious to Joe 4 Wheeler and what he can do for you. This year I went in alone but, went in 13 miles from any road with a couple mules. I could have shot (4) 3-4 year class animals in 3 days!! There smart but you have to be smarter.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "E"magination is a powerful thing.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a cow tag this year. I got a cow out of herd of 70 to 80 elk with a number of very nice mature bulls within a mile of the road...as the crow flies. However, the crows wore oxygen tanks as they were 2000' above the road, right out in the open on a wide open ridge. I guess they felt secure up there where no hunter in his right mind would go (which explains how I got one). I'll never know how they let me get within range because I was in plain sight in knee high sagebrush from the road and the whole way up. I shot a cow but I easily could have got a good bull if I'd had a tag. I guess they felt safety in numbers or something as they weren't very wary and never saw me. Even after I shot, a doz cows spent 15 min on a low ridge about 300 yds away watching and barking at me while I worked on the cow.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use a system that has served me well over the years. It's simple.

If I can see, or hear other hunters. I'm not where I should be.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idaho did a study on bull elk mortality about 15-20 years ago before the wolves were brought in an area I used to hunt. The study was done in heavily roaded areas, lightly roaded areas, and difficult access areas. All bulls were radio-collared and located weekly during hunting seasons by air.

In heavy road areas over 60% of the bulls did not make it through hunting season. In lightly roaded areas more survived, but roughly 50 percent of collared bulls wound up dead. In difficult access areas about 30% wound up tagged. If you wanted a chance at a bull older than 2.5 years, the difficult access was where it was at.

Interesting thing from the study was the archery loss was pretty high and not a single elk over the the study died from winter kill or non-human predators (before wolves) The only way bulls in the study died was from bullets or arrows.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Lonny
Idaho did a study on bull elk mortality about 15-20 years ago before the wolves were brought in an area I used to hunt. The study was done in heavily roaded areas, lightly roaded areas, and difficult access areas. All bulls were radio-collared and located weekly during hunting seasons by air.

In heavy road areas over 60% of the bulls did not make it through hunting season. In lightly roaded areas more survived, but roughly 50 percent of collared bulls wound up dead. In difficult access areas about 30% wound up tagged. If you wanted a chance at a bull older than 2.5 years, the difficult access was where it was at.

Interesting thing from the study was the archery loss was pretty high and not a single elk over the the study died from winter kill or non-human predators (before wolves) The only way bulls in the study died was from bullets or arrows.

That study is about what i'd expect. How about the actual numbers of elk in those three areas? Did they give those numbers?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Eremicus,

You're making wayy too much out of how "smart" elk are.

IMO, and I've killed quite a number of elk (51), its really not a question of how smart an elk is, more a function of the country they choose to live in and how they respond to pressure.

For a bull to get old, they better not be standing next to a road that accessible via ATV, Truck, horse, or even foot trails in some cases.

Bulls that live to be old, usually just happen to choose a place to live where people dont hunt, or at least where theres just not the pressure.

Older, post rut bulls, seek out a secure place, usually off the beaten path, and stay there until some other factor forces them to move (snow, pressure, etc). If theres no reason for them to move...they likely wont. That makes them tough to find.

I'm not saying that elk arent capable of responding to pressure to find ways to survive...but they arent going to be challenging the theory of relativity anytime soon either.

I'm of the opinion that many hunters are much better at "out-smarting" themselves, than "outsmarting" elk. Hard work, staying positive, and staying out all day will lead to results.

The best elk hunters I know are extremely driven and focused. They'll get their butts kicked elk hunting 14 days straight, but they'll attack day 15 just as hard as the 14 previous. Those type of guys kill elk every year...they just flat refuse to fail. Its not they have better equipment, are better shots, glass better, or have some secret elk decoder pin...they just flat get it done.

Consistantly killing big bulls is hard work, most arent willing to do what it takes (myself included).

Last edited by BuzzH; 12/30/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well staying out of trouble is being smart for an elk. Survival is their main concern in hunting seasons. If they do that, they're smarter than the ones who get shot. Of course they aren't smarter than humans.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Seems you didn't learn a thing when others like Brad told you wear a headlamp. You are past the point of accepting advice, big elk are no smarter than a mature whitetail, no they aren't stupid but they are killable. Listen to others, you've been at this a long time and have nothing to show but are quick to say "I have the answers".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cfran
Seems you didn't learn a thing when others like Brad told you wear a headlamp. You are past the point of accepting advice, big elk are no smarter than a mature whitetail, no they aren't stupid but they are killable. Listen to others, you've been at this a long time and have nothing to show but are quick to say "I have the answers".

You talking to the OP?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Eremicus,

You're making wayy too much out of how "smart" elk are.

IMO, and I've killed quite a number of elk (51), its really not a question of how smart an elk is, more a function of the country they choose to live in and how they respond to pressure.

For a bull to get old, they better not be standing next to a road that accessible via ATV, Truck, horse, or even foot trails in some cases.

Bulls that live to be old, usually just happen to choose a place to live where people dont hunt, or at least where theres just not the pressure.

Older, post rut bulls, seek out a secure place, usually off the beaten path, and stay there until some other factor forces them to move (snow, pressure, etc). If theres no reason for them to move...they likely wont. That makes them tough to find.

I'm not saying that elk arent capable of responding to pressure to find ways to survive...but they arent going to be challenging the theory of relativity anytime soon either.

I'm of the opinion that many hunters are much better at "out-smarting" themselves, than "outsmarting" elk. Hard work, staying positive, and staying out all day will lead to results.

The best elk hunters I know are extremely driven and focused. They'll get their butts kicked elk hunting 14 days straight, but they'll attack day 15 just as hard as the 14 previous. Those type of guys kill elk every year...they just flat refuse to fail. Its not they have better equipment, are better shots, glass better, or have some secret elk decoder pin...they just flat get it done.

Consistantly killing big bulls is hard work, most arent willing to do what it takes (myself included).

Buzz, I think that's a VERY fine post and pretty well sums up my thinking.

I'd add, within that, mature bulls (IME) do most everything "right" consistently... that's what makes them tougher to get. Their consistency in making the "right" choices is a constant source of amazement to me. They're not supernatural, they just seem like it sometimes.

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quote "It's really not a question of how smart an elk is, more a function of the country they choose to live in and how they respond to pressure."

It's been proven over and over that the bulls are killable, but why do you think they choose the country they live in and why do they respond to pressure as they do. It's not all by sheer instinct.If they live 3-4 years,they figure it out. Super intelligent? No, but smart enough to evade hunters? Yes

In my younger days,I had runs where I killed bulls of all sizes many years in succession with really no thought of how hard it is. However, I had to pay my dues to learn how to do it. Once you figure that out it isn't all that hard.Particularly learning that you need to go where people aren't and have the drive/desire, and capability to do so.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, they do seem supernatural at times.
One year, I found an old bull literally living less than a 1/4 mile from a trailhead. We got a few inches of fresh snow, so I tried to track him.
When I found his tracks that morning, it looked like a couple of hunters were already on him. But then I noticed that his tracks were on top of theirs....
I tracked him for over an hour in a circular route in the broken timber. Looking back, I realized that I wasn't paying attention to the wind.
He left his living area, and, in broad daylight, crossed a large open area, and then the road I'd used to get to the area. Tracked him all day. Never saw him.
The odd thing was that he wasn't there on the opener. We had snow that weekend, and I'd been there a couple of times. I found his tracks there almost two weeks later on some old snow. I believe he felt he could get away with living there, simply because he had alot of confidence in his abilities. He sure beat me.
Moral of the story, watch the air currents.
The other lesson was that they do move around alot during the season. I've seen this myself. Bull elk moving into areas where they don't normally go. Even areas w/o water for miles.
Yes, doing alot of looking, even in unlikely areas apparently pays off.
At my age, I'm limited as to how much of this I can do. A couple of dark to dark days, and I'm way down on energy and attention span. Like it or not, I have to pick and choose where and what I do.
The bottom line is that these are fascinating, majestic animals that are a privilage to hunt. E

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
....they then proceed to walk around in the timber with the pretense of "scouting"......

This^^, tips off just about any animal making them less likely to be seen.

+100. I always tell people scout like you're still hunting. Of course most folks have not a clue how to still hunt.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No sheet on that one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For years I have been trying to tell guys that when the elk hear back packers, horse packers, people setting up camp, pounding stakes,cutting poles, etc, moving in right before the season,the elk line out and leave.Then these same guys camp right in the middle of prime elk habitat and wonder where the elk go. Same thing, they then procede to walk around in the timber with the pretense of "scouting". What elk may be left from the previous noise of the packers, leave also. Add acouple of ATV's to the equations and you end up with a camping trip instead of a hunting trip. Guaranteed this will have repsonses from guys that say they see elk right around camp, etc, butvthatis theexceptionto therule

Where hunter pressure is low, this isn't as common, especially on private land where elk come in contact with landowners working the land more.

Any bull that lives to be 3 yrs old gets educated real fast.One big educator is these guys that persist on calling bulls in and then the bull either bust them or the guys decides that bull isn't big enough and spooks the bull on purpose.
Those bull stick that info away in the recesses of thier brain and use it the next time they hear a bugle.

Gotta remember it's life and death to them and just a game to hunters.

Nonsense. We walk right through the middle of them. Camp within a half mile of them and still have no trouble shooting elk. Make meat. Not excuses.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wyoelk
For years I have been trying to tell guys that when the elk hear back packers, horse packers, people setting up camp, pounding stakes,cutting poles, etc, moving in right before the season,the elk line out and leave.Then these same guys camp right in the middle of prime elk habitat and wonder where the elk go. Same thing, they then procede to walk around in the timber with the pretense of "scouting". What elk may be left from the previous noise of the packers, leave also. Add acouple of ATV's to the equations and you end up with a camping trip instead of a hunting trip. Guaranteed this will have repsonses from guys that say they see elk right around camp, etc, butvthatis theexceptionto therule

Where hunter pressure is low, this isn't as common, especially on private land where elk come in contact with landowners working the land more.

Any bull that lives to be 3 yrs old gets educated real fast.One big educator is these guys that persist on calling bulls in and then the bull either bust them or the guys decides that bull isn't big enough and spooks the bull on purpose.
Those bull stick that info away in the recesses of thier brain and use it the next time they hear a bugle.

Gotta remember it's life and death to them and just a game to hunters.

Nonsense. We walk right through the middle of them. Camp within a half mile of them and still have no trouble shooting elk. Make meat. Not excuses.

I kill an elk every year, soemtimes two, all on public land, DYI, and have done so for 20+ years. The hunting party I go with usually averages 90% + every year. Just passing on what I have learned. If you have succes that way, go for it. Not what I have found though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not what I have experienced in Montana either.

Kinda hate to mention this, but I know some elk hunters who don't consider a 4-year-old bull "old."

I've been lucky enough to hunt both private and public land in a few places over the years. There are some 8-10 year old bulls way back on public land, but have seen far more on private--especially after the first week of hunting season pushes them off public land. A few years ago I got to hunt a big ranch not far from where I live in Montana, and the first evening glassed over 30 branch-antlered bulls spread across three parks, over a mile away.

One group consisted of 8 bulls that all were well over 4 years old. This was in mid-November, three weeks after the rifle season opened. They'd all filtered into the ranch over those three weeks--actually probably during the first two days of the season. They knew from several seasons of experience where they weren't likely to be bothered. The ranch owner only allowed 2 bulls to be taken every year--though he did allow antlerless hunting, after the 2 bulls had been taken.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A good bull can smell, here and see you better than you can see him.

that being said if your stomping around unknown area he's got the upper hand, however, if your a good still hunter, or you are hunting during the rut he's dumb and drunk..

They aren't ghosts, but aside from using weather changes to get them to expose themselves, good still hunting skills, and possibly hunting during the rut sure changes the odds.

If the odds are against you - they are

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
A good bull can smell, here and see you better than you can see him.

that being said if your stomping around unknown area he's got the upper hand, however, if your a good still hunter, or you are hunting during the rut he's dumb and drunk..

They aren't ghosts, but aside from using weather changes to get them to expose themselves, good still hunting skills, and possibly hunting during the rut sure changes the odds.

If the odds are against you - they are

As smart as you think the old bulls are. The young bulls are stupider.

Which is the point of this thread.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.