-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were there some also factory stamped 7mm-06? Think I read that somewhere.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a new Remington 725 in .280 Remington, in 1960. I've killed elk, Mule deer, Blacktail deer, Whitetail deer, Antelope, and Black bear with it, plus coyotes and ground squirrels. It has always performed superbly ... other than once when I shot very poorly on a Calif. mule deer. My fault; neither the caliber or rifle's fault.

It will consistently shoot �" groups with my handloads, 160 grains Nosler Partition, 139 grains Hornady Interlock, or 140 grains Nosler Partition. It'll shoot 1�" groups with Rem. factory 150 grains PSP Core Lokt.

Works for me. I still have it and use it each Fall on at least one hunting trip.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Forbes rifle will be chambered in 280 this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone I know REALLY favors the .280 Rem. in a Remington 700 BDL.
I trust him.

That said, there may be a really nice, used-well rifle out there in your new, chosen caliber.
Look for it!

I like the 7mm Rem.Mag., but, hey, get what you WANT!
Good shooting. cool

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
Someone I know REALLY favors the .280 Rem. in a Remington 700 BDL.
I trust him.

That said, there may be a really nice, used-well rifle out there in your new, chosen caliber.
Look for it!

I like the 7mm Rem.Mag., but, hey, get what you WANT!
Good shooting. cool

Me too. While the .280 Rem is in reality all that a North American hunter can ask, I still believe that the 7MM Rem Mag is the best cartridge designed since someone is Mesopotamia invented the wheel. Why one would invent a wheel when he could have invented the 7MM Rem Mag continues to elude historians.

IC B2

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input. Tom, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to allow (and hope) for the possibility that Mrs Snubbie may be looking around for a gift for our upcoming 25th anniversery. She asked me about rifles and what I would want if I were going to get one. She doesn't give two hoots about a rifle or what rifle I may want. I put the 7mm--08 bug in her ear figuring it would be easier for her to find IF she is considering this.
There's hardly a dimes worth of difference between the 7-08 and .280. I think I could live happily ever after with either! May even lean toward the 7mm-08 if for no other reason than brass size. I currently use and load for .25-06. Having totally different brass size and loaded cartridges would certainly help avoid a mix-up.

If I end up with new bedroom slippers and a necktie for anniversary I'll save my pesos and start looking for used!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
JAP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RCB
Yes, there were some rifles stamped 7mm Express. I have seen a few older Remington 760's and 7600's with that stamp. I also believe some early Rem 700's had 7mm express stamped on barrels.

I would like to find one stamped 7mm Express. An article back in the early 80's in either a Shooters Bible or Gun Digest about the 7mm Express piqued my interest in the cartridge. Like the sound of the 7mm Express more than 280.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by snubbie
Thanks for all the input. Tom, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to allow (and hope) for the possibility that Mrs Snubbie may be looking around for a gift for our upcoming 25th anniversery. She asked me about rifles and what I would want if I were going to get one. She doesn't give two hoots about a rifle or what rifle I may want. I put the 7mm--08 bug in her ear figuring it would be easier for her to find IF she is considering this.
There's hardly a dimes worth of difference between the 7-08 and .280. I think I could live happily ever after with either! May even lean toward the 7mm-08 if for no other reason than brass size. I currently use and load for .25-06. Having totally different brass size and loaded cartridges would certainly help avoid a mix-up.

If I end up with new bedroom slippers and a necktie for anniversary I'll save my pesos and start looking for used!

Good Morning, snubbie,

You will do well with either cartridge. It might just boil down to preference. I agree that the 7MM-08 Rem will do everything that a .280 Rem will do. The 7x57 was doing it all long before the 7MM Rem Mag arrived.

As I got older and a little wiser, that and too damned many ortho surgeries, I realized that I didn't much like carrying a heavy 7MM Rem Mag up and down the Rockies all day long. So I figured I'd buy a lighter and more easy-to-carry rifle. I was going to go '06 so I could use it on elk. But I researched the heck out of it and found out there ain't arguin' difference between an '06 & .308 Win. So I went with a short action Featherweight in .308 Win. I've never looked back. It's a compact rifle. I ain't shot an elk with it...yet, but I can tell you that mule deer don't much like it.

I cannot imagine anything in North American that you couldn't put in your freezer with a 160 grain .284 caliber bullet at 2800 FPS. And ain't no big game gunna figure out the difference between a 7MM-08 Rem & .280 Rem.

I wish you the absolute best of luck on finding your next rifle.

Take care,

Tom

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I heard her whispering on the phone this morning to the local purveyor of firearms with the words "Tikka Lite" and "7mm-08" sprinkled in the conversation.

May not have to look after all!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by snubbie
I heard her whispering on the phone this morning to the local purveyor of firearms with the words "Tikka Lite" and "7mm-08" sprinkled in the conversation.

May not have to look after all!

Lucky eavesdropping!

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jap

If you find your 7mm express rifle,I could be talked out of a set of 7mm express dies and a box of once fired head stamped 7 mm express brass.

JAP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Jap

If you find your 7mm express rifle,I could be talked out of a set of 7mm express dies and a box of once fired head stamped 7 mm express brass.

I'd be interested in the brass.

Jim

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Jap

Let's talk! PM me with what you have.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.