Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is becoming a yearly trend on our place, which adjoins a Federal Refuge. When December/January rolls around, the water in the refuge begins to build up and all the acorn crop/browse is finally gone, so they move onto us in heavy-duty fashion. We see them sometimes during the early fall when they come to attack the hayfields, but we mostly start working on them when things get cold and muddy.

Here's a few recent ones, killed by our family and some friends that sometimes hunt with us:

(30-06 150gr Core-Lokt)

[Linked Image]

(308win 150gr Core-Lokt) This young man was really excited, but you'd not know it by his expression. grin

[Linked Image]

(25-284 100gr E-Tip)

[Linked Image]

(308win 168gr Ballistic Tip)

[Linked Image]

(7mmSAUM 160gr AB) This photo was taken on Saturday. Dad and I both went out with our M7's, his being a .350RM, which should be a heck of a pig rifle with 225gr TSX's. The hogs came to visit me on my stand, and he rounded things out by dropping a doe in the mix.

[Linked Image]

We've taken three others recently that we got no photos of, but it's getting to be addictive and will give us something to do once we're done hunting whitetails. I imagine we'd feel differently if they were giving us heck during deer season.

Anybody have any experience with the various solar-powered "glow lights" that mount to barrel feeders? We can now hunt them at night and plan to keep corn going in the evenings so we can maybe get a couple more during the coming months. Not much we can do with the stinking old boars, but the sows often wind up like this:

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seen a bunch on my hunting grounds this past few weeks.
Seem to be hungry and coming to my green food plots.
Others are coming to corn feeders, even if only for the few kernals of corn thrown outside the hog proof fences.

And yes, we are shooting as many as possible.

stumpy

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You are right about the food plots. Mine have been fertilized multiple times this fall but the deer are keeping them mowed down close, while the hogs are doing their best to root them up. We noticed something quite unusual a few weeks ago regarding our feeders. The solid-steel pipe legs we use on our tripod feeders can sometimes be spread out and toppled by big hogs if they decided to shove the pipe legs around when the barrel is near-empty and the legs have little weight bearing down on them. This season, I drove t-posts in the ground just inside each leg and u-bolted the t-post to the leg. No feeders have been dumped this season but at one feeder the hogs have dug deep craters around the base of each leg. The pipe legs are not even touching the ground anymore and are hanging in mid-air, held in place only by the ubolts and the deeply sunk t-posts. They dug no holes under the feeder barrel, where the corn actually falls. Never seen anything like it.....

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Any but the absolute nastiest boars can be done in crock pots. My favorite recipe is stewed tomatos, onions and a couple chucks of garlic. I think that recipe will make boot leather edible.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Any but the absolute nastiest boars can be done in crock pots. My favorite recipe is stewed tomatos, onions and a couple chucks of garlic. I think that recipe will make boot leather edible.

I'm just not that hard up for grub...... yet. (grin)

I gave one to the meat-cutters at the local processor back in November. It was nothing I wanted, but he claimed "he don't stink all that bad."

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The other thing to do is to cut a bit off the ham and fry it up in a pan before you even bother processing the whole thing. If the ham is bad it becomes coyote bait. Also I refuse to hunt them as long as there are acorns on the ground, for me it brings a real bitter taste to the meat. Unless I was doing a favor for a rancher hogs are safe from me October to February.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's odd. Nothing better than an acorn eating squirrel, deer or turkey.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did that 169bt exit?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It went through both shoulders at least one shoulder and dumped him. 200yds, more or less. The offside was crunched and flopping. He went straight down.

Last edited by JPro; 01/07/13. Reason: memory lapse

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JPro
You are right about the food plots. Mine have been fertilized multiple times this fall but the deer are keeping them mowed down close, while the hogs are doing their best to root them up. We noticed something quite unusual a few weeks ago regarding our feeders. The solid-steel pipe legs we use on our tripod feeders can sometimes be spread out and toppled by big hogs if they decided to shove the pipe legs around when the barrel is near-empty and the legs have little weight bearing down on them. This season, I drove t-posts in the ground just inside each leg and u-bolted the t-post to the leg. No feeders have been dumped this season but at one feeder the hogs have dug deep craters around the base of each leg. The pipe legs are not even touching the ground anymore and are hanging in mid-air, held in place only by the ubolts and the deeply sunk t-posts. They dug no holes under the feeder barrel, where the corn actually falls. Never seen anything like it.....

I'd guess they are using the legs as scratching posts. Cattle and buffalo do it, pigs will most likely do it too....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job! I've hunted those things and they are a ton of fun to shoot. I don't want them here in Montana, but while visiting in states that have them anydangway, they sure do provide some big entertainment. Don't taste too bad either.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you need help taking some out, I'd be willing to offer my services!!!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang that looks like fun! Those bastards are the best tasting bullet testing medium on the face of the earth!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.