Anyone have a stock made of local wood?
What is it, and how do you like it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

J
JYC Offline
J
I knew a big lad that extended the stock on a Lee Enfield by screwing a bit of 2X4 on the butt end.
Point is that you can use a lot of different woods to make a stock, but it may not be pretty.
Years back I made a stock for a '94 Winchester out of Elm. It's a very straight grain and porous wood. The results were very serviceable, heavy, and tough, but not very pretty.
I know another fellow that made a stock for a 92 Winchester out of an abnormally large chunk of Sumac. That stock is gorgeous light green tinted, with plenty of figure. But not a wood I would choose for durability.
I took down a walnut in the yard a couple of years back, and I have a few pieces of that to work with. I'm not very good at stock making (terrible) but I have succeeded in the past, and eventually, I'll workup the courage to have at it again. Walnut gives strength plus beauty, and I think you can find local examples that are very nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you look around for eastern maple, you can build nice stuff from it. Bit tough to get in proper size lately, it seems. It is dense & hard enough and with patience it can be found. The western maple is softer, you need to find the eastern stuff, IE Quebec syrup trees.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a 303 British Lee Enfield rifle that a local man carved a stock for years ago. (Percy Anderson, Richard) He did good work, and used to cast on the stock so it fit better and pointed more naturally. Don't know if he used jackpine, or swamp cedar, but I doubt it. The wood is not remarkable, but the stock is, as was the magazine that he shortened from 10 rounds to 5. (Must have been in anticipation of the assault weapon ban. wink )

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad's Savage 99 was restocked by Percy as well. It looks like walnut but is more open grained. I imagine there are a lot of old Dryden district that Percy had worked on.

I tried to work a rear stock out of black ash that was well seasoned. After wearing out a rasp and getting blisters I gave up the idea of a hand made contender stock. I wish I would have had a dremel tool.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always thought that western larch would make a strong a very pretty stock though I suspect the wood which is very strong for weight is a softwood and would dent fairly easily. Same thought with Sitka Spruce very strong for weight, they made fighter planes out of it, but again soft and not as pretty as western larch.

Last edited by n007; 01/07/13.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Percy was a real knowledgeable guy when it came to the rifled tube and other such stuf. He could fix a "bullnozer" wink pretty good, too.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sumac

Wow! I have one outside my front window that is getting large, and I was considering taking it out. I just might let it go a few more years.

I've never seen any that was finished either, but am interested in the color. Not one I'd put on a boomer Magnum though.

1Minute
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do any of the fruit, or nut woods make a good stock? Walnut, of course, almond, or other?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have a Sako with a Pecan stock.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
How about a George Washington stock? Bet it would be pretty.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
????????

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw some juniper stocks at a table in Kimberly gun show this past summer.They looked really different,not sure how juniper would hold up though.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How you doing Rog?
I do have to wonder if some of the woods normaily discounted as not good woods,might work laminated?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a walnut/yellow birch stock on a bench rest rifle. I would think walnut plies would secure prettywell any wood.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
????????

George Washinton and the cherry tree??? O, right! He couldn't tell a lie.

Cherry wood stock?

Or is my American History all screwed up?

HELP!

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by wabigoon
????????

George Washinton and the cherry tree??? O, right! He couldn't tell a lie.

Cherry wood stock?

Or is my American History all screwed up?

HELP!

Or, was it George, Sir John A.,and Orvlle Wright landing in the tree riding a hot air ballon?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's some hot air going on alright, but not from the politicians this time. shocked

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You may have gotten extra credit on North American history.
That, or it was merely some flatulence of my keyboard. Not that it was the first time that sort of thing has happened around here.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well Keith I think I saw a cherry wood stock once,but I can't remember where.I have seen maple as well and it makes a nice looking stock.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.