Print Thread
Hop To
P
PAndy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
We got a live round stuck in a 20 ga Ithaca model 37 last night. I have had a little trouble with this gun before...may or may not be related to ammo type or shooting many rounds in a clay pigeon session.

Anyway, I the shooter told me the gun just went 'click' when he tried to fire it initially. Can't get the action open. The barrel will wiggle a little bit with the magazine knob loosened, but not much.

Ideas? I am probably headed for a gunsmith with this one especially since there is a live round in the chamber.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My first thought is remove the barrel ,remove the shell and then start checking the trigger group and bolt for possible problems, bent or broken parts, springs, fireing pin. Schematics can be found online if you're not familar with a 37 action, I'm just assumeing you tried to pump the action and it did not slide open goodluck jrh55

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Remove the buttstock first, then remove the trigger plate screw and slide the trigger group back off the receiver.. Then, while putting backward pressure on the forearm, use a rubber mallet and give the foremost end of the forearm a couple of gentle taps.. Shouldn't take more than 1-2 and the shell should come loose.

It's sticking in there because there's fouling and/or rust in the chamber.. Once the shell's removed, ensure you remove all fouling/rust from the chamber and reassemble..

Check the primer on that live shell to see how the firing pin strike looks. If it's shallow (and if all the former spent shells show shallow dents) it's possible you may need to send it to a 'smith' for examination and corrections..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
A similar problem with my son's 37, but it was caused by a split high brass ring. We had to run a cleaning rod down it and tap it out. Not a good feeling to run a rod down a loaded barrel, but it worked.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would be a last resort-type thing, but certainly NOT to be attempted until and unless the trigger group is removed..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found a pdf online of the total disassembly of an Ithaca 37, down to component level if anybody needs it, PM me your email address and I'll send it out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just what every gunsmith loves- a customer walking in the door with a jammed gun with a live round in the chamber! I would heed the above advice and carefully dis-assemble from the butt plate forward, with nothing in front of the gun that you wouldn't care to put a load of bird shot into.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
May want to try pushing fore end forward and try pulling trigger again to ensure it was in battery, pointing in the safest direction of course, then try bolt release to see if that helps, otherwise give it a sharp blow with your palm as you turn it over in your hands on the sides and top and bottom of the receiver possibly unjamming something that has broken or gotten in the action.

This may have already been tried, but I usually go to the simplest and safest things first. After that, if it is still jammed follow the advice previously listed as to disassembling the gun.

The 37 can be a bitch to reassemble if you aren't familiar with it!

P
PAndy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thank you, guys.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sixslug

The 37 can be a bitch to reassemble if you aren't familiar with it!
??

Not really - actually it's one of the easier ones.. A model that can cause the most pious of owners to use words that would make a sailor blush is the Browning BPS..

As to 'complicated', the Browning A-5 (and clones) probably takes the cake - but paying attention to the disassembly will pay off..

Rock on, dudes..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and take the gun apart from the butt stock forward . If the shell chambered it will come out. It won't fired once you remove the trigger group. It isn't that big of a deal if you pay attention how the part come out.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.