Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Going to re-barrel my 700 CDL soon. I've always wanted a .280 Rem., so I was thinking somewhere around a #3 contour @ 23" would balance well with most any stock I choose from McMillan. Leaning towards the Sporter....which seems like it gets very little love around here. Had a EDGE Compact, and it was nice...but VERY trim. The Sporter looks a tad more substantial through the grip and forearm.
Lilja, Hart, Brux, Rock, Shillen......who runs larger/smaller than a standard #3?

Advice is appreciated.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BTW, is anyone running a #3 in a McMillan Sporter stock?

I'd like to see a picture of how the #3 looks at the end of the forearm.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a couple builds on #3 tapers but have gone to #2 lately
I think the 270 you built was about perfect as i built one like it for a friend and am gathering parts to build me a 25-06 with a rock #2 presently.
I dont care for the sporter to beefy for me classic or the bdl model for me if i was left handed

gene

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm hardly an expert but I think both Shilen and Rock have the same contours and are lighter contour as far as their #1, #2, #3 and so on. Brux is a little heavier and I think Lilja sort of falls right in the middle. I think Bartlein #3 are probably the heaviest #3. Krieger barrels are the same as Brux as I recall.

I have a #3 Lilja and a Brux #3, both are fluted though. I used to have a #3 Shilen in a Sporter - hated it. The Sporter is pretty beefy up front and might work better with a #4 or bigger.

YOu might also consider the Classic, I have the Lilja and Brux in a Classic and IMHO thats a perfect combo.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 01/09/13. Reason: spelling

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They all list their contours on their sites....

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
go to their websites. pay close attention to the measurement after the radius the measurement is "G" on brux's site specifically. muzzle diameter doesn't always tell the full story.

Screw a sporter.

Pick a #3 from any maker but the Bartlein may be too heavy and too long of a wait.
Cut at 23'
mcmillan Classic standard fill
shilen trigger
Talley LW
Leupold 3.5-10 with M1 turret

load up on 162 amax's and RL-22

= Not selling it after 6 months .. good luck!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You've just got to look at their contour charts and compare them for yourself, they're all different. For example, a Bartlein #3 is bigger than a Rock Creek #4. You just have to compare them and see what's what. Don't feel the need to be limited to their contour chart either, most makers can duplicate factory or other contours if you want. If you like the contour on your CDL then tell them to duplicate it.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I HAD a .300 Winny built by Hill Country last year.

Stiller action, Hart #4 @ 24", McMillan Hunter in standard fill. Came out weighing right at 7.2lbs sans scope.

Maybe with the #3 @ 23" (or #4 Rock) in a standard fill McMillan (haven't decided on style yet) would come in a shade under 7lbs?

That weight, with good balance in the middle, would be great.

I've also been considering the lefty BDL McMillan. They show it to be made for "up to a #4 contour". Always liked the way the factory BDL stocks fit me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
go to their websites. pay close attention to the measurement after the radius the measurement is "G" on brux's site specifically. muzzle diameter doesn't always tell the full story.

Screw a sporter.

Pick a #3 from any maker but the Bartlein may be too heavy and too long of a wait.
Cut at 23'
shilen trigger
Talley LW

Here is what you just discribed above:) As pictured sans bi-pod 7 lbs 4 ozs.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What do you mean by "average "? Are you meaning the bore diameter? If you are referring to outside dimensions, there are no "standard" dimensions with which to compare.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[/quote]

[Linked Image][/quote]

I've admired that build and one would do well to mimic your rifle closely!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
Going to re-barrel my 700 CDL soon. I've always wanted a .280 Rem., so I was thinking somewhere around a #3 contour @ 23" would balance well with most any stock I choose from McMillan. Leaning towards the Sporter....which seems like it gets very little love around here. Had a EDGE Compact, and it was nice...but VERY trim. The Sporter looks a tad more substantial through the grip and forearm.
Lilja, Hart, Brux, Rock, Shillen......who runs larger/smaller than a standard #3?

Advice is appreciated.

I just checked two quick ones - Lilja and Pac-Nor.. Lilja has quite a difference between their #2 and #3.. While Pac-Nor's #2 fits between the two on Lilja's site..

Some of your decision might be based on the end-use of the rifle.. Will it be a walking-around rifle or a 'stand' rifle?? If the former, you might want to consider a little less weight.. If the latter, weight means little...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Screw a sporter.

Cut at 23'
shilen trigger
Talley LW

[Linked Image]

OM looks like you had Karl put a little bend on the bolt handle, was your stock ordered for a 700?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.