Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
if I were going on a backpack elk hunt tomorrow I would take the Kelty Cache Hauler I just got for $95 shipped.

This is based on actual testing with 100 lb loads. I got a lot of belt deformation and slip with kifaru packs with more than 70 lbs, and the same with the three piece Dana belts. The Kelty belt stays where I put it and is much more comfortable with big loads.

Maybe I'm moving forward by moving backward? Trading $600 packs for a $100 pack that works better? Some lessons are more expensive than others I guess.

I just bought a Cache Hauler shoulder strap and belt system from Kelty to upgrade a 30 year old Camptrails frame. This old Camptrails frame is the same (or nearly the same) as the original Barney's frames. The Cache Hauler system "bolts" right to the old CT frame. Very light and very comfortable. The old CT bag was horrible and was discarded years ago, so its just a pack frame that I use cinch straps to hold down quarters and what not. I will be making a compression system to hold off-the-bone bagged meat better. Its going to be a nice rig next fall.

I still don't know what to do for a real backpack for sheep. My old internals are OK, but I have never really loaded them with more than 50 pounds before.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What? You don't get a sticker if you aren't the most ardent fan of your preferred pack maker?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the Cache Hauler really 9 lbs 2 oz..?!

http://www.kelty.com/p-56-cache-hauler-3400.aspx

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sreekers
What? You don't get a sticker if you aren't the most ardent fan of your preferred pack maker?

Note that a lot of the older more experienced guys here have been saying to buy good cheap stuff that works rather than the expensive fancy stuff, and then get out in the woods and use it.

I have been a sticker carrying fanboy in the past, but I'm moving toward the wisdom the elders here are preaching. Maybe in another 30 years I'll have it figured out.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Prediction; The next big thing for backpack hunters will be the Hill People Gear frame pack.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EricM
Is the Cache Hauler really 9 lbs 2 oz..?!

http://www.kelty.com/p-56-cache-hauler-3400.aspx

That link is to the model with a packbag. The Cache Hauler link is here:

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmai...uct=Kelty+Cache+Hauler+Pack+-+Frame+only

Weight is listed at 6 lbs 1 oz, but that's with the heavy load shelf. I think I can remove the load shelf and the top bar and put on a dry bag hauling setup and have a 4-5 lb pack that flat works for $200.

I may even cut some off the top and re-install the topbar and then move the load lifters. Lots of modding can be done, and at $95 I don't have to worry about ruining resale value.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by sreekers

Note that a lot of the older more experienced guys here have been saying to buy good cheap stuff that works rather than the expensive fancy stuff, and then get out in the woods and use it.

I have been a sticker carrying fanboy in the past, but I'm moving toward the wisdom the elders here are preaching. Maybe in another 30 years I'll have it figured out.

Gear now changes so rapidly that it is pretty much impossible to keep totally current on every item that one might want to buy/use. The benefits accrued from buying used "name" gear are very substantial and not only save $$$$, but, give you an opportunity to try stuff and thus find what YOU feel works best for YOU.

I know from long experience what works for ME and, also, I am now at the time of life where all backpacking is strenuous and not always "fun", as busting my azz against the BC mountains USED to be. So, I buy the "best" as I can afford it and know what that is, in my terms.

No offence intended to ANYONE here, but, I think that buying new gear if a beginner is borderline foolish and "patrolling" the various backpacker forums, e-bay and the hunting forums "For Sale" sections will bring you all the good gear you need...for many years to come.

I bought my most recent DD Shortbed off of Evan Hill's fine forum, another a couple of years ago, off of Patrick Smith's often informative forum, the first off of, IIRC, "Trailspace" and so on. I am always willing to pay top $$$ for minty examples and, honestly, those three packs, which will do ALL the backpacking I really will do in coming years, cost in total, about what my NICE OK 6500 fully rigged did......."a word to the wise"...... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RockChucker, thanks for the link. I like your plan to reduce weight. What would you replace the load shelf with?

Eric

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My take as a young back pack hunter: read all you can, buy what you can and make it work for you. I don't have time to try 3 or 4 pack makers to find the right combo. Give a good pack that will haul my stuff, my meat if I'm successful and won't break.

I don't have to try 4 or 5 different calibers. They all 'work'. Pick one and own it. Make it yours.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 01/17/13.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think it's reasonable with a little work to get the Kelty in the 4 to 5 pound range. I think when I removed the bottom shelf, top bracket and the wings, it was in the 3 plus range. Yes you need to work out a load shelf replacement, but that's doable.

I have never had luck with 3 piece belts and large loads. The crew cab was ok but the foam was harder than my hips liked, I did like the layout of the CC though.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eric M,

I'll probably get some 1 inch webbing from DIY Gear Supply along with some fastex/ITW type side release buckles.

I'll probably go with 3 horizontal compression straps, two over the top, and a cordura or possibly webbing load shelf.

I have a HPG Tarahumara and compression kit, but I think with a little bit of bartack sewing I can come up with something lighter and easier to use.

My thought is to get a cuben fiber rolltop dry bag made for my gear and then use either the Tara or a small ULA pack as a daypack.

I think Kevin is close on the weights. I hope to be under 5 lbs with enough space for a 7-10 day hunt.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 01/18/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Eric M,

I'll probably get some 1 inch webbing from DIY Gear Supply along with some fastex/ITW type side release buckles.

I'll probably go with 3 horizontal compression straps, two over the top, and a cordura or possibly webbing load shelf.

I have a HPG Tarahumara and compression kit, but I think with a little bit of bartack sewing I can come up with something lighter and easier to use.

My thought is to get a cuben fiber rolltop dry bag made for my gear and then use either the Tara or a small ULA pack as a daypack.

I think Kevin is close on the weights. I hope to be under 5 lbs with enough space for a 7-10 day hunt.

Just buy the Hill People Gear compression kit. By the time you order from multiple places and pay shipping you'll be out more money plus you'll have to sew your own panel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good ideas here..! I'll have to check out the HPG site.

Eric

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the difference between the DD Shortbed, Longbed, and Terraframe?

A lot of good info here... Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Prediction; The next big thing for backpack hunters will be the Hill People Gear frame pack.

I'll bitch-slap a prototype, totally free of charge.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair

I'll bitch-slap a prototype, totally free of charge.

I'll bet you would smile

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ComingSoon/UtePack/tabid/926/Default.aspx

HPG forum says 5 lbs and 3500 ci. I would think it would be on the high side of 5lb looking at the construction.

Eberlestock Team Elk pack looks like a larger X2.

http://www.eberlestock.com/M5%20Team%20Elk%20Pack.html

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Ute is probably not what I'd buy for meat hauling. Something with a drybag is what I'd prefer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HPG forum says 5 lbs and 3500 ci. I would think it would be on the high side of 5lb looking at the construction.

that was balanced atop a postal scale. got the same result 5 times in a row.

ETA: Hands down, my best heavy load carrier right now is a Dana external with an HPG Prairie Belt and a little bit of magic performed in the lumbar area. You've got to get above at least 50 pounds to start observing how good it is in comparison to other options, and it doesn't really pull ahead of a properly set up internal until you top 70 or so pounds. If I can match the load carrying capacity of the Dana external with my design, I'll be satisfied. If I can exceed it, I'll be very happy. Either way, my design is more versatile and readily configurable than the Dana offering.

Last edited by evanhill; 01/21/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Ute is probably not what I'd buy for meat hauling. Something with a drybag is what I'd prefer.

I think it is and it will work out great. A good comparison for the UTE would be the MR Big Horn. Many on here have hauled out whole deer and heavy loads in a MR Big Horn. The UTE is 3500 ci and 5 pounds, the MR is 3000 ci and almost 6 pounds. Both cost about the same and are made in the USA. The UTE has a stiffer frame, should have a much better waist belt and more comfortable shoulder harness(last two are opinions).

I also question Evan's load rating of 60 pounds or is that just a comfort recommendation? From what I have seen as far as materials and design it should be good for much more than that. I will be using it from day hunts up to 3 days hunts or more, I will let everyone know how it works out. A Highlander full of your gear, plus a stuff sack and other gear on the outside as the main compartment should handle a full boned out deer.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.