CLICK HERE for CARTRIDGE-SPECIFIC RIFLESCOPE TECHNOLOGY from NIKON!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#7286480 - 01/08/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: T_O_M]
JWP58 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: N/A
Originally Posted By: T_O_M
Originally Posted By: JWP58
What kind of pack would you use on a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains?

What does "a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains" mean to you? Are you camping by the rig/road and day-hiking in? If you are backpacking in to a camp, how far? And how far beyond camp are you going to hunt? How many people do you have available to help pack if you get an elk? How much experience do you have hauling elk quarters?

Tom

Well looks like its going to be two people. I havent had the chance to scout the unit im going to put in for, but I will get out there around May. So I cant really comment on the "how far from the truck, how far from camp" questions.

Those will have to wait til' I scout the area and decide where to hike in from and to camp.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on KUIU GEAR LABOR DAY SALE!
#7286500 - 01/08/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: JWP58]
Wrongside Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: AB
Originally Posted By: JWP58
Got my USMC ILBE in today. For 80 bucks shipped, i think its great.

First thing that i noticed is that its HUGE. Molle attachments give me options to add on to it.

I think it will serve me well for the coming season.

Im glad I didnt blow 400 bucks on a trendy pack. Now I can put that cash towards a bow.

You did well. Way better than any Badlands or Sitka, for way less cash.

The ILBE is basically a beefed up Bora and the Boras are great packs. The ILBEs are a little heavy, but huge. Way more than 4000ci. I used one a bunch last year and wouldn't be sad to hunt the rest of my life using one of them.

#7290627 - 01/09/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Wrongside]
Kach Offline

I just picked up an ILBE - I paid $90 shipped in supposed good condition with the assault pack included as well. I'm hoping it works out for me. I think it will be pretty cool for the money. At that price, I won't worry about it too much even if it only becomes a backup/lend-out bag.

#7290840 - 01/09/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Kach]
JWP58 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: N/A
Ya i think im going to add the assault pack as well. For a day pack and attach it to the back of the ILBE.

With the molle attachments the possibilies are endless.

I know its not kuiu/sitka cool, but if it works....thats way cooler.

Plus i got an inside line on discounted First Lite merino wool gear, so that will add to the cool factor lol

#7290957 - 01/09/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: JWP58]
Kach Offline

Pretty cool ideas if you check out all of the youtube videos. I'm probably going to pick up a sustainment pouch and try to mod it with some padding for a spotting scope. I'm also thinking I'll use the assault pack as a daypack if I like it. You really can get attachments for just about anything!

#7293733 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Kach]
evanhill Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Western Colorado
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

#7293840 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
JFKinYK Offline

Loc: Yellowknife
Evan - what is the latest on the new HPG pack? Last I heard was release backed up to January, but I haven't dug through your forum in awhile.

#7293899 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: JFKinYK]
Big_W Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Washington
I have been looking for an excuse to post this:

#7294172 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Big_W]
Kevin_T Offline
Campfire Regular

I will say I watched the video yesterday and the pack looks very well done. I'm curious about a few things that probably require looking at it. Perhaps I can see one at the HPG world headquarters someday smile

#7294267 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
Big_W Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: evanhill
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

I have been guilty of that and probably still am. You can say that lightweight gear that costs more money does make you more efficient though. I like this line too from Calvin: "As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be."

I bought an old McHale pack for $20 a couple months ago. This pack is so bombproof and comfortable. The stays in it are worth 20 bucks. It is purple though so its getting some spray paint. Dan McHale advises people not to even bother buying his old "2 bolt" style exp. packs. I would not hesitate to pick one up and try it out if the price is right. See, I am not so elitist grin .

#7294381 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?

#7294479 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Take_a_knee]
evanhill Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Take_a_knee
. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?

Bless the folks paying my bills, but yes I'm sure some of our customers fall in that camp. Hopefully not too many of them though.

#7294515 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Take_a_knee]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Great video. Thanks for posting Big W.

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7294532 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
cwh2 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Anchorage, AK

I agree to an extent, but in many cases, buying the best you can afford is the cheapest way to go. Outdoor gear frequently falls into that category. As an example, there was no way I was going to pay the $300 price tag for snowmachine bibs. I probably paid close to $500 going through several sets of bibs from $50-100 each. They always failed, some spectacularly. Eventually I found the bibs I wanted on sale for $250ish, and convinced myself that I had done well. Talk about false economy...$750+ to get a pair of $300 bibs.

I have done that so many times, being the cheap bastard that I am, that my new simplified plan is: Figure out what is best (or what you want), and figure out a way to get it. Buying substitutes only makes it more expensive.

In many cases, being a gear snob is the result of suffering with poorly made gear in the past. Poorly made doesn't always mean cheap either.

All that being said, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it, and you have to find another way. As someone once said: Choices are always easiest when there is no choice.

#7294627 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: cwh2]
evanhill Offline
Campfire Regular

That's good wisdom CWH. I did say "durable", but the thing about spending more $$$ to buy three of what you don't want than one of what you do is very true.

#7294759 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
kutenay Offline
Campfire Outfitter

What I got from Evan's post is that it is often the case that a certain "brand name" is THE ONLY way to fly for some often quite inexperienced folks, who are trying to BE what they really are not and probably will never become.

The "groupie" aspect of gear discussions can be a royal PITA and, especially, when some young novice decides to tell everyone what they MUST own and use. It amuses me, but, it can be annoying, as well.

The other point is, as he stated, people can have a terrific time in the outdoors with pretty crappy gear, this is MUCH easier when you are 15-25 than when you are 60+.....BUT, GEAR is NOT the major issue, getting out and enjoying it is.

It is a relief,to me,to read a gear maker actually post in this manner as all too many of them continually make excessive claims for their products and refuse to acknowledge that others may also create fine gear....and, individual needs and uses are very different, given the size and other factors of just North America.

I am also eager to see the up-coming HPG pack,I am inclined to expect one fine pack and one that many can use longterm with total satisfaction.

#7294974 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: kutenay]
Kevin_T Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: kutenay
What I got from Evan's post is that it is often the case that a certain "brand name" is THE ONLY way to fly for some often quite inexperienced folks, who are trying to BE what they really are not and probably will never become.

The "groupie" aspect of gear discussions can be a royal PITA and, especially, when some young novice decides to tell everyone what they MUST own and use. It amuses me, but, it can be annoying, as well.

The other point is, as he stated, people can have a terrific time in the outdoors with pretty crappy gear, this is MUCH easier when you are 15-25 than when you are 60+.....BUT, GEAR is NOT the major issue, getting out and enjoying it is.

It is a relief,to me,to read a gear maker actually post in this manner as all too many of them continually make excessive claims for their products and refuse to acknowledge that others may also create fine gear....and, individual needs and uses are very different, given the size and other factors of just North America.

I am also eager to see the up-coming HPG pack,I am inclined to expect one fine pack and one that many can use longterm with total satisfaction.

+1

Getting out is the most important part. I have some nice gear, but I also frequently use a long in tooth Osprey Vestor, or Kelty Cachehauler. I also regularly use thrift store finds as well.

#7295233 - 01/10/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Kevin_T]
cwh2 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Anchorage, AK

All very true. The last thing I'd recommend is to stay home because your gear isn't as good/trendy/high-speed as you wish it was. There are a few exceptions to that for safety, but safety is generally more about the person than the gear.

Outdoor gear is increasingly specialized and what works for me where I hunt will likely be a poor choice, or simply unnecessary for others. People are built differently too, and I have a hard time taking sweeping statements about pack and boot fit seriously.

There is certainly a vetting process that has to happen, and that process gets expensive, especially when you can't learn from other people's experience. That is where forums like this are extremely helpful.

I hate the "new best thing" syndrome, but at the same time we are lucky to have access to tons of new (and old) great gear. I'm as guilty of being a gear junkie as anyone, and it is fun to try out new stuff. It is when it becomes all about the gear instead of about the hunt that it becomes....well, funny.

#7295767 - 01/11/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
Shag Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Cowlitz County
I think I like that Ute Pack.

#7297042 - 01/11/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: cwh2]
alaska_lanche Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Wasilla, Alaska
Originally Posted By: cwh2

I hate the "new best thing" syndrome, but at the same time we are lucky to have access to tons of new (and old) great gear. I'm as guilty of being a gear junkie as anyone, and it is fun to try out new stuff. It is when it becomes all about the gear instead of about the hunt that it becomes....well, funny.

I'm as guilty as the next guy. If it came down to saving up money and working extra to buy better pack/optics/rifle or whatever or making due with what ya go and go hunting, I'd pick the latter every time.

We all have different needs and preferences. Finding what you prefer is the main thing regardless of what works for others. Time afield is the #1 reason for success, not any piece of gear can trump that. Can't kill em' from the couch or office...well usually.

That said I really like the stuff Evan is putting out from HPG...got some great concept designs for fit on a variety of packs...looking forward to seeing what else he's got in the works.

#7300193 - 01/12/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: evanhill]
Wrongside Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: AB

Me too!

Many of us, myself included, reached the point of diminishing returns long ago. I like good gear and guns as much or more than most, but in the end, it's about time in the hills. Growing up, we had lots of great times and made memories with old surplus gear and wool handmedowns.

#7301427 - 01/12/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: Wrongside]
16bore Offline
Campfire Tracker

Like my Dana Alpine, not shabby for $125 either....

I was able to finagle the beavertail to hold my rifle as well. Around 4800CI and weighs 6.5lbs. Tough as nails. I will say this, buy as much used gear as you can. Most of the time if you decide to dump it, you'll break even. I will admit I'm completely sucked in to the ultra light stuff.

#7301449 - 01/12/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: 16bore]
castandblast Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central Oregon
Great idea on the beavertail. I'm wondering now if I can do that on my Glacier with the added beavertail.

#7301457 - 01/12/13 Re: So what backpack? [Re: castandblast]
JFKinYK Offline

Loc: Yellowknife
Here is what the little lady whipped up on the sewing machine so I can carry my gun on about any pack. It was basically free after scrounging an old ratchet strap and some clips.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE to GET UP TO $250 OFF LEICA ULTRAVIDS!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
435 registered (1sgLunde, 257heaven, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 17_wizzer, 223, 34 invisible), 870 Guests and 281 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,506 Registered Members
72 Forums
693,044 Topics
10,014,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.