Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have 200 .284 180 grain scenars on my loading table as I write this. And Graf and sons has them in stock also.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/23/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Aren't those the Scenar-L ?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Larry,
If you will look backwards a few days you will see my experience from Nov 01 of this year on cow elk. Long story short, 325yds, 155 Secnar at 2930, dead elk, but no exit wound. I did not hit bone. The bullet was placed in the crease behind the right front shoulder and was found between the hide and the muscle on the opposite side. My load was 46.5 gr of 4064. Super accurate, was an easy load to work . I just probably wont use the 155 again for elk, I like an exit wound.
Bill

That's hilarious. You shoot one animal with it, it dies a few seconds later, and you claim it didn't work for you....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What's the jacket thickness on the Scenars? This is a 155 hybrid I cut away. Jacket thickness is .035 and the hollow point is .400 deep with a fairly open meplate.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Scenar just a new version. Supposedly the tolerance's are tighter.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/26/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just probably wont use the 155 again for elk, I like an exit wound.

Dead critters trump exit wounds. Unless you can't find the carcass.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Since this bullet seems to perform so well in the 308 at long range, how do you reckon it would do at 3200fps +?

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pat, No sir,I did not claim it did not work for me, please reread my post. I said I PREFERRED an exit. I readily admitted it killed the cow elk. I was fortunate that my shot went where it was supposed to go and death in the vitals is certain. Its just how quickly death happens and how far an animal might run.
In fact I sent you an PM prior to ever using the Secnar asking about performance based on your experience, your experience was valuable info to me as I had not used the bullet for hunting. Yet my experience didn't mimic yours. I only tried to give another example ( yes, sample of one that came out ok, but could have been otherwise)of the terminal performance the Secnar. I am surprised that another opinion cant be stated on here without the ridicule of being considered "hilarious"....
Bill

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pat, No sir,I did not claim it did not work for me, please reread my post. I said I PREFERRED an exit. I readily admitted it killed the cow elk. I was fortunate that my shot went where it was supposed to go and death in the vitals is certain. Its just how quickly death happens and how far an animal might run.
In fact I sent you an PM prior to ever using the Secnar asking about performance based on your experience, your experience was valuable info to me as I had not used the bullet for hunting. Yet my experience didn't mimic yours. I only tried to give another example ( yes, sample of one that came out ok, but could have been otherwise)of the terminal performance the Secnar. I am surprised that another opinion cant be stated on here without the ridicule of being considered "hilarious"....
Bill

Isn't that true for every bullet?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DT,
Not sure I understand your question. The intent of every shot fired at game should be a quick and certain death and should be shot at a vital area. In the field, we know that every shot doesn't always hit that intended spot. The perfect shot should always yield perfect results but again that doesn't always happen. I have seen bullets that were supposed to be reliable performers hit exactly where aimed yet the bullet didn't perform as advertised or expected. No explanation why they didn't perform, just that they didn't. Terminal ballistics is still a studied subject and every season we read on this forum and others where bullets don't perform as expected.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Dead critters trump exit wounds. Unless you can't find the carcass.

Personally, I think exit wounds are over-rated and would've been pleased with that performance, but if someone else likes or wants them, more power to him.

You're right about not finding the carcass though. That always equals bullet failure.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not finding a carcass might equal bullet failure or a non-lethal hit. Without a carcass, how do you know.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly. But you hear that all the time.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And it's not necessarily the bullet's fault. When I was 35 (which was a few years ago) an older hunter told me the .308 Winchester was a POS deer cartridge. He knew this because he'd shot two deer with it, right in the heart, and never found either buck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ha. When I was about 22 (more years ago) I had a guy sing the praises of his lever action .35 Remington. Because he'd shot a doe with it once, up on a mountainside at 350 yards. With open sights. He was a guy who never needed to get very far from the truck, because that's where the hot coffee was. And the best stories. That one came from within yards of the truck.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bumping this thread up for the upcoming season!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good idea. Looking forward to the latest developments.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Laupa web site write up for the new Scenar L bullet shows a picture of a bullet with a lead core much closer to the nose of the bullet than any sectioned Scenar bullet that I have seen. The Scenar L bullet hollow point appears to be less than half that of the regular Scenar bullet. Has anyone here split a Scenar L bullet? If so, please post the picture.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My hunting partner will be using the 155's in a 300 h&h this year for lopes. I'll report back on results. They are moving along at 3250.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I received this answer from Lapua when I ask about the Scenar L bullets.

"Hi Richard,

No, that’s not exactly the case. Frankly, we have a wide assortment of Scenars and Scenar Ls. Some have been slightly altered for ballistic reasons, and some are virtually identical to their standard Scenar counterparts. In short, the illustration is for conveying the conceptual idea only, and is not an engineering type of diagram.

I hope this answers your question, but if there’s anything more we can do to be of service, please don’t hesitate to let us know. As always, we’ll be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Kevin Thomas
NAMMO/Lapua
409 E. Second St.
Sedalia, MO 65302
(660) 826-3232"

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

90 members (7x57Hunter, 35, AGL4now, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 976 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,501
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.