Hop To
Page 1,255 of 1,842 1 2 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Finally.

I was worried that winter would never get here!

Going to be makin ice now by cracky! Just hope we don't get too much snow on top of the stuff we got already

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Saw several people ice fishing on Sunday.

We actually went ice fishing on Thankgiving day. By FAR the earliest I've ever been out. There was an easy 5-6" of ice. Set out some tip-ups. Caught a few small largemouth bass, a snake piker, and a 19" walleye if you can believe that!

The ice and the water were so clear you could see the walleye flash about 30' away up near the bottom of the ice. Pretty neat. You could also see the weed lines, and the bottom down to about 6 FOW.

The snow would be nice, but Ma Nature can keep the cold.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They're saying minus 10 here for Friday AM. High of 5*.

We had a rain/snow mix last night. Picked up 1.75" of wet heavy snow. Light rain this AM. Going to be a skating rink if the temps drop.

Put away the last of my gear. Still need to clean the rifles.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
snowing here, *21 and falling. -10 here thursday for a low, in the 10's for a high the next week before warming back up into 20's and 30's not fun for muzzleloader season, I might have to break out the blind heater.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Started snowing around 2:00. Roads are slick as all heck. Traffic is just crawling along.

Tom, they had to close Bridge St. up in Wausau due to accidents. Ch 7 reported that traffic was backed up for several blocks.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Left Moorhead in snow at 9:30 yesterday morning, went through snow, ice, freezind drizzle and heavy fog, 400 miles and 7.5 hours later I arrived in Baker, MT. It has been snowing here all day, hopefully Friday is only really cold for my return trip to Moorhead, but I get to come back to Baker on Monday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

We actually went ice fishing on Thankgiving day. By FAR the earliest I've ever been out. There was an easy 5-6" of ice. Set out some tip-ups. Caught a few small largemouth bass, a snake piker, and a 19" walleye if you can believe that!

The ice and the water were so clear you could see the walleye flash about 30' away up near the bottom of the ice. Pretty neat. You could also see the weed lines, and the bottom down to about 6 FOW.

Tom, you are one crazy sob! Too early yet man-was the lake even completely ice covered? Do you realize if the wind picked up you could easily be trolling in short order there? Startin' to wonder about you bud..............

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Started snowing around 2:00. Roads are slick as all heck. Traffic is just crawling along.

Tom, they had to close Bridge St. up in Wausau due to accidents. Ch 7 reported that traffic was backed up for several blocks.

I suppose they were coming down that big hill and couldn't stop at the bottom. eek It's like Duluth.

We have only rain here so far. It's pretty warm, 33 or so. It's supposed to switch over to snow tonight and we're slated for 6-8".

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Tom, you are one crazy sob! Too early yet man-was the lake even completely ice covered? Do you realize if the wind picked up you could easily be trolling in short order there? Startin' to wonder about you bud..............

The lake was frozen solid all the way across.. It was a good 5-6" of ice. More than enough for even a fat man such as myself to go on. It was so smooth, I'm 100% sure I could have shot a hockey puck all the way across. It's not like the lakes here gopher.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Bawww....you're missing out if yo don't fish early ice Gopher! Stupid work is getting in my way

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Went up solo again for my annual Fur & Feather weekend. Ducks and deer in NLP. My brother used to be my faithful hunting pard, but after his passing, it's just been me for this hunt.

I left at 0400 on Fri. Temps were dropping fast the further I headed up north. A kind of snow fog settled in and when I tried to use my wipers, one snapped in half. Ordinarily this would be no big deal, but the only thing open at that hour was one of those big box 24hr places...and it was Black Friday. I have never seen such a bunch of caffeine crazed mutants buying anything that wasn't nailed down in my life. Two gals ahead of me were arguing over one of those Kuerig (sp?) coffee deals. I think they were sisters. Anyway, I just quietly whistled Silent Night and waited to check out.

Got t my hunting spot just at daylight and the temp was -6* below. Ouch. I didn't last long-a couple hours. Headed back to camp for a hot shower and some left over turkey. Took a nap and hit it again at 1300. Still cold, but bearable. No deer seen that day. Another HOT shower and some more turkey, then sleep.

Sat I tried a different area, higher- more oak ridges. Saw a few, but couldn't put horns on any of them. Made it til 1100, then went in for yet more turkey. I watched the first half of the UM/OSU game, but then decided to go out and finish the last afternoon of rifle season in MI.

I was tired of waiting for deer, so I intended on taking the fight to them. So I stripped down my gear and heavy clothes. Just me and my rifle. Stalking. Put my nose into the wind at the top of the ridge and take it slow. The woods and brush were fairly thick, but the snow background helped. Then after a few hours I thought I saw something on the far hill that looked like a deer...or a stump. I dialed it up and by god there was an eye. I could tell it was bedded, but not much else. I stared at it for 20 minutes before I thought I saw an antler. But then again wasn't sure. Had to take a kneeling position as my arms were burning. Another 10 pass and I think I see horns again...maybe a spike. So I stay on it and it stands up. Nothing. Keep looking and another 10 pass, he puts his head down to feed and I saw it again. That's it. Safety off. I send one. Nothing. Must've hit some brush. Send another. DRT. Walking over to it and having second thoughts about seeing that antler. Make my way up the hill through the brush and there he is, a 6" spiker, a real dink...but he'll eat. Especially with only 90 minutes left in the season. 300 WM with 180 AB did it's job too.

So I tag and gut him then check the GPS for the truck. Uh oh. Been walking further than I thought. I have to drag this thing over two big ridges. Two feet up one foot back. Go twenty yards, tie off buck, go retrieve my stuff. Rinse, repeat, for a quarter mile, mostly uphill. At one point, I thought I was going to have a chest grabber so I called my brother to tell him where I was. Next thing I know I'm getting dozens of texts from my friends telling me to take it easy and checking on my progress. 3 1/2 hours later I'm at the truck. Beat. Too beat to get the deer on top, so I just throw it inside and head back. I get there and some kid had shot a beautiful 8 PT that was hanging. I mumble some congratulations and humbly throw a line over the pole, hook it to the hitch and pull the deer up next to his. Mercifully, I ate the last of the leftover turkey for lunch. I head over to the local watering hole for a steak and three fingers of JD. I don't really care that I'm dressed like a very bloody pumpkin. Sleep comes easy.

Alarm goes off at 0400 Sun morn. Coffee's on, gotta hurry up and pack the truck plus get the deer loaded. Yesterday was the last day of rifle deer season and today is the last day of duck season. I've got an hour and a half drive to the last inland lake that's not froze. Expectations are high. Even with the ibuprofen I'm still not able to get the deer on top, so I throw him inside again and off we go.

I'm sore and half asleep, but it seems like my steering is a little sloppy. No matter, I'll just take it easy. I arrive at the very calm lake. So calm it's not moving. Crap. The water turned hard overnight. I put my waders on and start busting ice. It's a little nerve wracking busting ice in the dark 'cause you really never know where the drop off is. I found it...twice. So I got a 30' X 30' hole and throw in a few dekes on a jerk string. I'm wading back and 2 fat mallards land right there. Those were the last two ducks I saw until I picked up 5 hours later. Too much ice and the ducks bugged out south.

I have a 4 1/2 hour drive ahead of me on little sleep. Grab some more coffee and go. Buck-buck is still in there with me. I named him buck- buck because we've been spending so much time together. Turns out we were going to spend some more. About 2 1/2 hours in, I hear a grinding noise in left front at 77 mph. I immediately apply brake and it damn near sends me into the ditch. Yep. Wheel bearing. My buddy with the wrecker business arrives a couple hours later and I get more quality time with buck- buck. He was still in my truck on top of the flat bed for the two hour ride home.

Thus ends another eventful Fur & Feather weekend. Oh, when I got home, my lovely wife was making, you guessed it, leftover turkey soup. I'm good with turkey for another whole year.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Bawww....you're missing out if yo don't fish early ice Gopher! Stupid work is getting in my way
Just call me King Chickenschidt, I guess. There ain't a bucket of fish in the workd that's worth going through that ice for . Seriously, one of my biggest fears.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
smile

CFT you really earned that buck.

Dang it! Guess you won't be thrilled with the smoked turkey I sent you for Xmas. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds like a great hunt CFT. and a great write up, detailed yet to the point. pictured it in my head as though I were there. congrats on a nice buck that will eat well. sorry about the troubles but that's life as you know. keeps us tough smile

congrats on a great hunt, thanks for sharing

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ice isn't safe yet, already had some idiots go thru with vehicles, and on foot.

I have gone through three times and twice almost died from hypothermia trying to get back in the vehicle.

A spud bar, some spikes, and length of rope will save a lot of heartache.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow Charlie, you worked for that meat! lol!

Congrats!

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Holy Cow Charlie! I bet that is going to be the best tasting deer.......like EVER!

lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by big drift
Ice isn't safe yet, already had some idiots go thru with vehicles, and on foot.

I have gone through three times and twice almost died from hypothermia trying to get back in the vehicle.

A spud bar, some spikes, and length of rope will save a lot of heartache.

We had 8" of ice around here as of last weekend. I wouldn't drive on it though. I like a good solid 14" before doing that.

Our "big storm" turned out to be wimpy snow and it really just started. I guess we got about an inch over night and its snowing pretty good now.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
CFT,

WOW! What a great write up! Thanks for giving us that to read it was great reading.

You earned you venni on that guy. Are you sure you'll be able to eat him after you've named him Buck-Buck? grin

Last edited by tzone; 12/04/13.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CFT, thats one heck of a write up and solo adventure! What area of the NLP were you in?

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Page 1,255 of 1,842 1 2 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.