Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,262 of 1,842 1 2 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Afternoon would work the best. Jack will be with him mama on Sunday.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tzone,
Check out Schnees. They make a light pack boot that laces all the way up and is great for walking. Maybe not the equivalent of leather boots for walking, but way better than Ice Kings.

Those sizes are much bigger than I am Gopher. I dont have anything close to that.

I had a house fire in 91. It sucks. Tell him to not settle with the insurance company until the last day (it was 6 months back then). They want you to settle early so the things you forgot dont get paid.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hate to hear about the fire, we had one in 89 lost most everything. What part of Ohio was it? We have had several fires here recently including a couple of fatalities, one being a ten yr old. We were lucky as they were in no one was hurt. Things are replacable people aren't

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you still need that jacket? I do have one that will fit.

I re-PM'd you my phone.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We lost our house north of Duluth, in '88. Total loss. Kids were at school and dad was in the hospital after back surgery. My stepmom was at the hospital with my dad. My uncle drove by on the way to work and saw the smoke, called the FD. We lived in the country, so by the time the FD was there, the house was pretty much done.

Most stuff can be replaced, but stuff like pictures and family heirlooms can't be. It was pretty rough on my step mom for a lot of years actually.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I probably have other types of jackets that will fit, non hunting related. Just stuff to keep warm. We can look when you come up. I may have extras of tools, and home supplies as well. Stuff they're probably not thinking of right now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry to hear about your buddy and his wife's loss. That would be terrible but at least nobody was hurt. Prayers sent.

Do you have an updated list of what he is getting and what he still needs?

I might have a "gadget" or two laying around.

smile

I lost an older cousin in a house fire in '86. My Dad was the Fire Chief in our small town and my cousin Ron was the Asst. Chief. They were really close. My folks and his folks were out at his house the night it happened. After they left he fell asleep in a recliner with a lit cigarette in the living room. They figure it laid smoldering in the carpet until the furnace kicked in and the air from the vent ignited the fire. The house was a total loss.

My Dad was the one who found him in the kitchen the next morning while the house was engulfed in flames. If Ron would have crawled to the left instead of to the right he would have made it to the door.

I remember being there on that cold rainy fall day while my Dad and the rest of the fire dept. fought to contain the blaze. I remember thinking how brave and strong my Dad was when the rest of us were shattered. I remember being SO impressed with the local Red Cross Chapter for all they did during that time and I have donated to them through the United Way for 20 something years now because of it.

After Ron's funeral we got into the car to go to the cemetary and my Dad completely lost it. That was the first time I ever saw my Dad cry and it had a profound affect on my life. House fires are an awful thing all the way around...

Sorry I went off in another direction. That just brought back a lot of memories.

Last edited by Rooster7; 12/13/13.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
They want you to settle early so the things you forgot dont get paid.

Our experience was quite the opposite. They were helping us all along. They even gave us a HUGE thick book to sort through for typical house hold items that you wouldn't normally think of becasue of all the emotions at the time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Our experience was a knock-down, drag-out fight to the end. They came waving a checkbook saying they will write out a check right now.....for about half of the value. Then they argued about replacement costs vs depreciated value. They said your Sorel boots are 10 years old, we will give you $4 for them. Dad went to Cabelas and bought $200 boots and said this is the replacement, pay it, and I will do that with every item on this list if you dont get real. Man, just thinking about it brings back a lot of memories. How ironic, that insurance company is out of business I think. MSI.

We forgot about the ax. Never did get paid for that sucker!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill_55
Hate to hear about the fire, we had one in 89 lost most everything. What part of Ohio was it? We have had several fires here recently including a couple of fatalities, one being a ten yr old. We were lucky as they were in no one was hurt. Things are replacable people aren't
North East-New Waterford/East Palestine area.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Did you still need that jacket? I do have one that will fit.

I re-PM'd you my phone.

Goalie-I'm not passing up anything for him. If he ends up with duplicates, I figure he can swap for stuff he needs. I'll be in touch.
Thanks,

Jeff

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Sorry to hear about your buddy and his wife's loss. That would be terrible but at least nobody was hurt. Prayers sent.

Do you have an updated list of what he is getting and what he still needs?

I might have a "gadget" or two laying around.

smile

I lost an older cousin in a house fire in '86. My Dad was the Fire Chief in our small town and my cousin Ron was the Asst. Chief. They were really close. My folks and his folks were out at his house the night it happened. After they left he fell asleep in a recliner with a lit cigarette in the living room. They figure it laid smoldering in the carpet until the furnace kicked in and the air from the vent ignited the fire. The house was a total loss.

My Dad was the one who found him in the kitchen the next morning while the house was engulfed in flames. If Ron would have crawled to the left instead of to the right he would have made it to the door.

I remember being there on that cold rainy fall day while my Dad and the rest of the fire dept. fought to contain the blaze. I remember thinking how brave and strong my Dad was when the rest of us were shattered. I remember being SO impressed with the local Red Cross Chapter for all they did during that time and I have donated to them through the United Way for 20 something years now because of it.

After Ron's funeral we got into the car to go to the cemetary and my Dad completely lost it. That was the first time I ever saw my Dad cry and it had a profound affect on my life. House fires are an awful thing all the way around...

Sorry I went off in another direction. That just brought back a lot of memories.

Tom (T-Zone) has some stuff for me to pick up this weekend. Once I do that, I'll update the list again. Thanks for the concern guys. I really do appreciate the outporing of support. I am giving him a pellet gun, so he's got something to shoot with his grandkids, a Marlin .22 semi-auto, and after the first of the year will be looking for a deer rifle to take down for him. I've got a Mosin Nagant, but those things are so butt-ugly, I just can't stick him with it. I'll be looking for a used bolt gun in any conventional caliber that I can get for as close to $200.00 as possible. A pump or lever would be fine too, I just think I'll have a better chance of finding something in a bolt. That being said, if anyone's got a beater 760 that's still minute of deer accurate, I'd be interested. If anyone has a tired old dusty gun in the back of the cabinet that could work, please let me know. I won't be able to do this until after the first of the year, but it never hurts to put the word out there.

Thanks again guys. Bill was my neighbor 2 houses up the street from me. We were very close in school, and this is really tough on everyone involved. Your thoughts and prayers, as well as you contributions are greatly appreciated, and I won't forget them.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by gophergunner; 12/13/13.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks gophergunner, I'm in the Coshocton, County area and have been out of touch for almost 2 weeks now, so I wanted to make sure it was not someone in my immediate area that I need to try and help out right away. I remember how good neighbors were to us and do my best to help where I can

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gophergunner

The only things I'm still looking for are a pair of sz. 13 hunting boots.

pm sent

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
CFT, Are you boots too tight? Too tight reduces the blood supply and you end up with cold feet.

What material are your socks? If you're wearing cotton, your going to end up with cold feet. You should be using a polypro liner and wool blend heavy boot socks.

Some years ago Sorel went to a thinner 9mm liner. The old liners were thicker, something like 3/8". What size do you wear? I might have a spare liner (Old style) in a size 10 you can have.

I currently have a pair of Muck Artic Pro's that say they're good to minus 30. Maybe if you're moving, but not sitting on a stand. My feet were getting cold after a couple of hours. I also have a pair of Thorogoods with 1000 grams of Thinsulite. They were a bit better than the Mucks.

Cabela's has a boot with 2000 grams of Thinsolite that should work.

Thermacell makes an electric foot warmer that apparently works, but costs $125 or more.

Bill- I usually wear a Cabelas boot sock with some wicking capabilities - wool or poly. Sometimes, like last Sunday, I wear a liner sock under the wool. I'm a stickler for boot fit, my feet won't tolerate tight fitting boots. I have Mucks (Wetland I think), Cabelas Whitetail 1200, and a Cabelas 800 field boot. They work if temps aren't too low, say 25* or better sitting, 10* moving. Sorels, which are fine for +10* and above - (they may be finding a new home) were my go to for anything colder and they aren't cutting it for me. They are a size bigger to accommodate 2 pair of socks. Honestly, I think it's my feet. I couldn't even feel warmth from the chemical toe warmers. $125 might be a little spendy, but if they work...

SSB & Bill, these Cabelas 2000 you speak of - are they called Infernos? If so, I heard good things about them. Christmas is coming. Dropping hints to the wife like the 8th bombed Dresden. We'll see.

T-zone - wearing steel toes in this weather? That should qualify for hazard pay!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW guys, I've had real good luck with the Herman's Survivors boots sold at Wal-Mart. I've got a pr. of 800 gr. and a pair of 1200 gr. The 1200's are all most too warm. I wear them for very cold deer hunting and for ice fishing. Had both pairs for over 5 years, and no leaks, cracks, or broken laces. I bought both pr. on spring clearance at Wal-Mart and don't think I spent more than $35.00 for either pair. Very comfortable boots.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GG- I too often use the walmart specials, spray em with waterproofing agent, wear wool socks and they are as good as anything I've found. can't beat the price either!

a little off topic, but does anyone know a ball park price for concrete by the yard?
I'm putting together a proposal and need a general idea.
100-150? something like that I'm guessing? I know there are "extras" that can be added, I'm not worried about that. just need a baseline.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
a little off topic, but does anyone know a ball park price for concrete by the yard?
I'm putting together a proposal and need a general idea.
100-150? something like that I'm guessing? I know there are "extras" that can be added, I'm not worried about that. just need a baseline.

Not sure exactly what the going rate is Ryan but this is a nifty little site for calculating concrete

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
TZone would most likely know. The last I heard it was about $95 a yard, but that was a couple of years ago.

Dragged the snow blower out this morning. All the snow we've been getting as been falling in small amounts, anywhere from 1/2" to 2" so we've just shoveled it. Well it adds up and the piles were getting high, so attacked them with the blower.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jim, I already have the yards figured, I just need to put in my proposal the estimated cost for a series of dams we'll be pouring, just need a ballpark figure on concrete. already have the rebar, diversion gates, forms and all that figured. I'm guessing if I figure 125/yd on concrete it will be close enough to be approved.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 1,262 of 1,842 1 2 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

68 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 9 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.