K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Step behind of an ass on a bad day.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had my .450 N0.2 NE double on me. Didn't knock me as over tea kettle, but I did flinch for a year +. Stopped me from shooting doubles from a seated rest. I stand now.

A .460 Weatherby from the prone position sucks too, if anyone asks.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinRecoil [bleep] grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, what would you know about it? You don't shoot anything designed after the Industrial Revolution.

Heard on an ET Buffler hunt

Boom!

"Did you get 'em?"

"We won't know until the smoke clears and the brush fire I started burns out." grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinRecoil Slut grin

FIXT, and me too Hatari. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a 2oz 3" 12 GA load of #4 lead out of my Mossberg 500 at the turkeys. The recoil on it is something like 54 ft/lbs.-- better than twice my 35 Whelen Remington 7600.

One year I shot a round prone at a gobbler in late April, and I was still feeling my shoulder come Labor Day.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMike1
For me it's my ten pound 600NE single shot! 900 grains spinning out at 2150 will get your attention.

[Linked Image]

Trying to wrap my head around taking the recoil of my 500 Jeffrey, and increasing it by 50%.

It's only 10#'s ?!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
grinRecoil Slut grin

FIXT, and me too Hatari. laugh

Gunner

grinNahhh,he's STILL just a recoil [bleep].When he shoots yer 505 or yer 500 double and THEN yer 8 bore he will have gradyated to slut status grin Hatari is still farm team grin And yeah, I luv dem buffler guns!!! laugh

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
grin And yeah, I luv dem buffler guns!!! laugh

Then you otter kreme yer jeans with this 600 ellyfant gun! wink

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Buffler Guns

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never been hurt (or hurt too long) from anything rifle or shotgun I've shot from a standing position - 45/70, 458 win, 12 gauge turkey loads, a 9,3 w/ steel butt even a 10 gauge S/S that doubled!

However, the ones I do remember that really hurt seem kinda out of place after reading all these other experiences! A light 20 gauge with a slug shot leaning over the hood of my truck, also a 50 cal ML in same position, a Browning BAR in 30/06 off bench, a 12 gauge 3 1/2" turkey gun sitting at the base of a tree with my shoulder against the trunk, a 50 Desert Eagle right-handed with right elbow locked straight!

Last edited by RaySendero; 01/23/13.

Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fourbore

This was my experience on AR as well. They run the site like a club promoting certain ideas, products (and big ego's).

Anyone who crosses a line, critical of certain product or idea, is hounded and provoked in a tag team manner. Name calling and disrespect all part of the act.

My crime, I was critical of the 600ok. Never the users, just the design parameters. Man, did I ever hit a nerve. I got dumped on big time. I fought back with criticism of muzzle brakes, 2 shot magazines and rebated rims. Pointed out a few 1000's reduction in bore diameter and all issues resolved. I was banned.

I noticed a couple other of the more informed members disappear as well. Never saw anyone banned for bad manners or personal insults. As far as I could guess, it was for opinions contrary to certain moderator or member views.

Website based forums are not a democracy. The owner & moderators can do what they like. I joined several hobby forums and this one caught me by surprise. Live and learn. Fortunately, there is a world of good people and forums to join.

As to most recoil, my 6 lb H&R 12ga with 3 inch magnums is pretty rough.

I posted over there many years ago. The guy who designed the .600 OK has an entire posse of sycophants who jump on anyone who disagrees. Any criticism of that redundant, useless, and poorly designed cartridge is for sure verboten. You're not missing anything by being banned from that site.

Last edited by ColKlink; 01/24/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a .460 Weatherby Mag in AZ at a range north of Phoenix in 1984. I was 22, and it didn't knock my teeth out or bloody my nose.

$5 bought you a round, stood in line to shoot it. A lot more guys bought a round than shot it. They let the rifle "rest" after every 5 rounds. It was an awesome experience.

Owned a Ruger No.1 SS/Lam in .458 Lott. Not a lot of need for that cartridge in IA, but it was fun to watch others shoot it. The rifle had a bbl. that seemed like a truck axle. Not too punishing with a hefty starting weight.

Ruger No. 1 in 375 RUGER in a medium sporter, weighing a lot less than a Tropical will get your attention.

The worst recoiling rifle I ever shot was my Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in .300 WBY MAG. If you weren't careful, I could give myself a thumb to the nose hard enough to produce tears, and a little bit of blood.

It was all fun.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Most unpleasant for me was a Ruger No. 3 Carbine, crescent butt plate, with full house 45-70 loads.
Both my shoulder, and several fingers of my right hand bled.
Just the snottiest little rifle I ever shot.

That's without doubt true... but what was the load? My son shot his with the same load I was using in my #1 at the time = a 500gr Hornady at 2010 fps! He now has a #1 ! laugh

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
460 S&W Revolver - what a poor idea.

One day I practiced fast shooting with my 416 Rigby - four magazines of four rounds each in about two minutes.

It wasn't bad while I did it, but my shoulder was deeply sore for a couple of days.

But, they way I feel is the reason to have a DGR is to learn how to use a DGR.

One one occasion the set trigger got the best of me and the scope drove the bridge of my glasses into what used to be the fatty tissue on my nose - a permanent scar was the result, but I don't blame the recoil, I blame the operator.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 02/07/13.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dogwater
I know it's subjective but what is the most felt recoil you have experienced?

A 6 pound Ruger #3 in .45-70 pushing 400 grain Speers to 2175 fps. It didn't have a recoil pad, just a flat, hard plate.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An original Model 1895 winchester in .405. It has a straight grip, crescent butt plate, and weighs under 7 pounds.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had one of those, only mine was an upgraded version with a factory (?) recoil pad. However, that pad had fossilized so that the edges flexed, but the center did not ... basically it focused all the recoil energy in an oval about 3/4 inch across and 1.5 inches high. Yeah, I remember that.

The other "fun" with that gun was my ammo was all early production factory stuff and each shot was a slight hang fire. I could hear the hammer slap as a separate event prior to the gun going off. Never failed to go off, but always a fraction of delay.

That's a hell of a combination if you need to learn how to flinch. smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As a rule I have found any Ruger #1 in big calibers unpleasant to shoot. My Ruger in 458 Lott is just unbearable. I have shot lots of big bore up to 505 Gibbs (which is way too much fun)and the Weatherby cartridges as a family are unpleasant. Earlier someone described a rifle as "making his molars bleed" and I have to say that's the way I feel about a 308 Norma Mag I had years ago. It weighed under 7# with scope and was just plain nasty.
I used to go on the AR forums starting in the '90s but the ass***s ran all the knowledgeable guys off. AlbertaCanuk was the last I knew that knew anything for sure.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.