Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi, I am with AT&T and have been with them for several years.
My phone is about to go down and I am going to get another soon(sometime this week).
They told me I had been with them long enough that I could get any phone free(with the exception of a smart phone).
All I do on a cell phone is make calls and take some pics.
I am wanting a phone that is durable and takes great pics(good detail up close)
What do you recomend?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 01/08/13.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If it isn't very expensive to upgrade to a smartphone, take a look at the iPhone. I'm really liking my iPhone 4s. I had a Blackberry for years and it took me all of 20 minutes to get used to the touch-screen and the camera is awesome; lots of photo apps available as well, almost an "industry standard" for mobile photography.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,I really dont want to upgrade and have an additional fee every month for the smartphone.
I just want a NON smartphone that will take good pics .(listing items here and e-bay Maybe).
Thanks
Craig

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well apparently there is noone on the Photography forum who cares to share anything about this question?(with the exception of oregon45).
Thanks
craig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well apparently there is noone on the Photography forum who cares to share anything

I suspect it's a case of even remotely serious photographers viewing the phones as gadgets. If one wants to take fine images invest in a camera as opposed to an electronic multi-tool.

1Minute
IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Well apparently there is noone on the Photography forum who cares to share anything

I suspect it's a case of even remotely serious photographers viewing the phones as gadgets. If one wants to take fine images invest in a camera as opposed to an electronic multi-tool.

Well IF that is the case then obviously there are some Pompass AZZES here!
I am needing a new phone and just needed good advice for getting one with a good camera.
I would have thought that there are "serious Photographers" here that also own these "Gadgets" called cell phones and their interest in photography would also extend to getting a good photo with a Gadget.

I did NOT ask which gave the best photos Camera or cell phone.
I asked which cell hone had the best camera.
I did not ask For advice on which camera to invest my money in .
Please reread .
Comprehension of a question is essential to answering a question.
Of course you could have taken the time to answer my question instead of a highhanded attitude that "IF one wans to take fine Images invest in a camera as opposed to an electroic Multi tool."
Probably wouldn,t have taken much more time to answer the Question than it did to send the response you sent.

Last edited by bcraig; 01/10/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of us don't have an answer and remained mute.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nikon has one. It's called the D300.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Some of us don't have an answer and remained mute.

Yes I understand that and appreciate that .
I had hoped that there would be some helpfull replies but aside from a couple of nice replies,the people who have nothing helpfull to add and only a holier than thou,HighHatted attitude need to keep in mind that everyone likes a little azz every now and then but NOBODY likes a horses AZZ .
You know it is amazing that as many people that have read this post these are the only replies .
For the people that dont know the answer any more than I do ,I hope I haven,t offended you in any way.
For those that do know but have chosen to be a horses azz ,perhaps you will be the one that needs advice on something in the future and someone will be igdignant and a smart azz to you.Surely you are old enough to remember that we reap what we sow.What comes around goes around !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bcraig: I honestly think one would have look quite hard to find a truly pompass ass among those frequenting this portion of the campfire. I apologize if I offended, as I thought I was offering a sincere answer. Blunt maybe, but it was sincere, and I don't recall adding any adjectives that might reflect on ones personna.

Similarly, one does not visit the local fly fishers guild to get an assessment on the "pocket fisherman." He does not go to Bass Pro either to secure help tying a Jock Scott. A techie site/forum might be a better realm for your explorations. Tourist wave phones in the air. The White House press corp pack cameras.

Some of the folks that pass through here might spend 2 to 4 grand for a body, and as much as 2 to 10 grand on a lens. We can do $400 for a midline point and shoot unit, and we will not expect high end resolution when they're stretched out to 600 mm equivalents.

We all see phone images posted on the web, but are mostly unimpressed with their definition, depth of field, and exposure control. Expediency and a fleeting opportunity often dictate their use. To date though, I not seen a National Geographic image credited to a phone. That being, if ones goal is communication and web access, get the phone. If he wants quality pics, spend at least 2 to 3 times that amount on a dedicated camera.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/10/13.

1Minute
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 1minute

You'd be surprised at how many "serious" photographers are taking phone cameras seriously these days. Check out Ben Lowy's photo essay in the New York Times taken in Afghanistan, on an iPhone, while embedded with US troops.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=1minute]Bcraig: I honestly think one would have look quite hard to find a truly pompass ass among those frequenting this portion of the campfire. I apologize if I offended, as I thought I was offering a sincere answer. Blunt maybe, but it was sincere, and I don't recall adding any adjectives that might reflect on ones personna.

Quote 1minute)1minute ,That may in fact be true .Apology accepted .I asked for information about a cell phone with a good camera .The adjectives I used reflect The answer I was given not anyones ENTIRE personna BUT the answer to THIS question.

Similarly, one does not visit the local fly fishers guild to get an assessment on the "pocket fisherman." He does not go to Bass Pro either to secure help tying a Jock Scott. A techie site/forum might be a better realm for your explorations. Tourist wave phones in the air. The White House press corp pack cameras.

While I somewhat agree with your analogies I dont feel like I asked a question that was too intrusive or difficult to understand or respond to.
I did not ask whether a Cell phone with a decent camera was as good for taking pics as a Camera.
Why should I have to go to a different forum when I have been a member here for a long time and there is a Forum that I am sure there are members who use Cell phones and the camera function as well as their Cameras.
I am not a member of the White house Press Corp nor do I wish to be,I am a hunter who wants to be able to post Pics of Game and occasionaly a gun or scope I have for sale and have the pics be descriptive enough to convey the message.

Some of the folks that pass through here might spend 2 to 4 grand for a body, and as much as 2 to 10 grand on a lens. We can do $400 for a midline point and shoot unit, and we will not expect high end resolution when they're stretched out to 600 mm equivalents.

And what does that have to with information concerning which phone has a good camera ?

We all see phone images posted on the web, but are mostly unimpressed with their definition, depth of field, and exposure control. Expediency and a fleeting opportunity often dictate their use. To date though, I not seen a National Geographic image credited to a phone. That being, if ones goal is communication and web access, get the phone. If he wants quality pics, spend at least 2 to 3 times that amount on a dedicated camera.

I thought I made it clear that I was going to get a new phone and the message conveyed was that I wanted to get some good info and advice so I could then get the phone I needed as almost any phone i can talk on but I suspect there are some that take better pics than others.
I dont want to get a Smart phone because of the $20.00 to $50 dollars monthly fee requered with the smart phone with ATT.
Best I can tell I wrote one thing and some read another thing !
Regardless I had no intent to Offend any more than you did
Regards to everyone on the fire and this forum.
Craig

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.