Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
...for those with a lot of slick highway driving experience with one...
I know they'll get you going and keep you going, but how are they for icy highways? Will it break both rear wheels free and skid you more than an open diff? Can they be more of a liability than an asset on ice?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Factory limited slips (can't comment on aftermarket ones) wouldn't be totally engaging at highway speeds(low engine rpms). I've had them in all my trucks and suvs over the yrs,except for the '96 Cherokee I now own,and some do engage at lower rpms than others but still not at the low rpms of on road travel. I do miss having one in my Cherokee and am seriously considering some type of rear traction control device.

Here's a good read(takes a few seconds to download):
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limited-slip-lockers-differentials.htm

Last edited by EZEARL; 01/09/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got nearly 90k miles on my 2500 ram w/ limited slip and honestly I don't find the limited slip to be an issue on icy roads, and we have had our share the last few winters. My previous truck had an open diff. The bigger issue is the diesel engine and not much bed weight. I run studded tires in the winter and pop it into 4wd when things get real slick. If you do alot of winter driving you'll have to occasional pucker moments, but it's amazing how simply getting your foot off the gas will typically straighten everything out.

I wouldn't want a locking diff on icy roads, but limited slip is probably more of an asset than a detriment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd take a limited slip or a GM locking dif over an open dif any day of the week. It's what gets you going at low speeds that matters most.

At highway speeds on super slippery roads it's time for 4WD drive and avoiding mishaps has more to do with tires and driver control than what type of rear end you have. I've been on roads that were so slick (Palmer to Anchorage) I didn't go faster than 40MPH in 4WD and even going that fast had an extreme pucker factor. The people that drove faster were ditch diving in front of me, to the side me, and behind me. It was insane.

True traction control systems are superior to any standard 4wd system at both low and high speeds. Even FWD is better at keeping you out of the ditch vs 4WD at highway speeds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should have added this. The absolute worst vehicles I've ever driven in snowy conditions were all rear wheel/open dif/one wheel drive.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish head
I'd take a limited slip or a GM locking dif over an open dif any day of the week. It's what gets you going at low speeds that matters most.

At highway speeds on super slippery roads it's time for 4WD drive and avoiding mishaps has more to do with tires and driver control than what type of rear end you have. I've been on roads that were so slick (Palmer to Anchorage) I didn't go faster than 40MPH in 4WD and even going that fast had an extreme pucker factor. The people that drove faster were ditch diving in front of me, to the side me, and behind me. It was insane.

True traction control systems are superior to any standard 4wd system at both low and high speeds. Even FWD is better at keeping you out of the ditch vs 4WD at highway speeds.

+1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We ran Detroit Lockers in all our line trucks and I've never owned a pickup without a limited slip. I would never want a line truck without a Detroit Locker or a pickup without a limited slip, but I wouldn't want a Detroit Locker in my pickup because I'm on the highway most of the time. Hope this helps.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 73 CJ5 with the detroit, and trust me, it was a handful on icy roads.
Have a locker in my F250, and no problems at all.
I think the weight of the pickup keeps the engagement and disengagement smooth. In the jeep it was jerky, and jerky is not good on icy roads.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a limited slip shouldn't be a problem but as other posters have said a locker on ice can be a handfull, and a locker on ice pulling a 10K lb trailer without breaks on ice was a nightmare

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
a limited slip shouldn't be a problem but as other posters have said a locker on ice can be a handfull, and a locker on ice pulling a 10K lb trailer without breaks on ice was a nightmare
Pulling a 10k trailer without brakes on dry pavement can be a nightmare. I once witnessed a pickup pulling an empty gooseneck horse trailer without brakes rear end a car stopped at some RR tracks. He locked up the truck coming down a gentle hill but the trailer kept on rolling and pushed him into it. If there'd been a train there instead of a car, he'd have likely died. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. Then the dumb ass was trying to blame the woman in the car for not moving out of his way fast enough. Sheesh

But back to the limited slip, I haven't driven one on icy highways. I was reading that it's easy to break both tires loose if you're not very careful & was wondering how bad it really is. Thanks for the info.

― George Orwell

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

My wife or me have NEVER had a problem on ice. For that matter we've NEVER been in a situation where having one has been a liability. But I can tell you we miss one now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Granted I'm not a die hard off-road nut, but have personally never had the need for a limited or locker in any pick-up I've had. If it's that slippy getting going, push the 4WD button. My new Ford has traction control which I have a love-hate relation with! It does a good job of controlling wheelspin but removes the fun factor when you want to step out the rear end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That traction control needs a on-off switch, as it is no good when you are trying to get out of a mud hole. My F150 is probably the worst off-road 4x4 I've ever owned. Concerning road manners, it is the best I've ever owned, which is fairly predictable.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Traction control should be an option to get or leave the hell off the truck. Sadly, it is here to stay. Never had any issues with limited slip except one time on a narrow mountain forest service road that was covered with ice. It was just a fun drive with my bride and newborn, and I had my head out the window looking for sign and the ass end of my suburban made a pretty good run for the the wrong edge of the road.

MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Pulling a 10k trailer without brakes on dry pavement can be a nightmare. I once witnessed a pickup pulling an empty gooseneck horse trailer without brakes rear end a car stopped at some RR tracks. He locked up the truck coming down a gentle hill but the trailer kept on rolling and pushed him into it. If there'd been a train there instead of a car, he'd have likely died. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. Then the dumb ass was trying to blame the woman in the car for not moving out of his way fast enough. Sheesh

But back to the limited slip, I haven't driven one on icy highways. I was reading that it's easy to break both tires loose if you're not very careful & was wondering how bad it really is. Thanks for the info.

I guess what I was trying to say is that having driven with limited slip rearends in all my pickups, I don't see them as a potential problem at all, in any situation. The lockers we had in those trucks could put you sideways in really bad icy/snowy conditions, but a limited slip is easier to "read" and use, I think. YMMV, but I doubt it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JPro
That traction control needs a on-off switch, as it is no good when you are trying to get out of a mud hole. My F150 is probably the worst off-road 4x4 I've ever owned. Concerning road manners, it is the best I've ever owned, which is fairly predictable.

I don't know what year your Ford is but mine has a simple button on the centre console, you just push & hold till it the icon stops flashing in your instrument panel.
But I do agree you should have to push to engage instead of disengage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can turn off both Stabilitrac and Traction Control on my truck with a simple push of the button. My old truck would turn off the ABS system when in 4WD. I think the new one leaves it on.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a 2005 Ram 1500 with the open diff and it is absolutely ball-less off the road. wet grass is too much for it. i was thinking of getting a limited slip put in this spring, but the truck spends a lot more time grocery running than mudding. anyone have any advice on what rear mods to make for a decent compromise?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The right tires & some sandbags for weight will make a big difference.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I owned one pickup with an open diff. It was terrible. I install a factory unit and it was great. With the open dii it wanted to swap ends on slick pavement. With the limited slip it's fun to drive.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.